What's new

Classic TV Not on DVD - My Top Ten (and then some) (1 Viewer)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I just started Tivoing The Green Hornet which runs on the Encore Action Channel for 1 hour on Saturday mornings. I'm really digging this show as A less campy version of Batman. I'd buy a season set of these. Was'nt GH only on the air for one season ? Another show I started watching again airs on the Hallmark channel I used to watch this al the time as a kid and it still holds up and that is "The Big Valley" Richard long. Lee Majors, Audra Barkley! Oh yeah and Barbara Stanwick, great stuff.

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
Greatest American Hero
Alf
Magnum PI (2004?)
Seinfeld (2004?)
Fugitive
Equalizer

Needs to be completed

Twin Peaks
Will and Grace

Dewitte

Stunt Coordinator
V: The Series (there's just not enough Michael Ironside in the world today)
Star Trek animated series (just so I don't have to blow $150 for a laserdisc set)
Captain Power and the Soldiers of the Future
Six-Million Dollar Man
Bionic Woman
The Incredible Hulk (in season sets, please)
The Incredible Hulk animated series (mid-1980s)
Spider-Man (the Nicholas Hammond series is always good for a chuckle)
Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends
The Courtship of Eddie's Father
Mister Rogers' Neighborhood
Superboy (the late '80s series)

I'm sure there's a lot more that I can think of.

De

Alanna

Second Unit
1.] She-Ra
2.] He-Man
3.] Bewitched
4.] I Dream of Jeannie
5.] Due South
6.] EZ Streets (all 12 eps or however many they made)
7.] Seinfeld
8.] the 80s eps of All Creatures Great & Small (BBC)
9.] The Flash (cool show)
10.] Star Trek - animated

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
#1-Columbo (70s NBC version only; And I want the Mystery Movie opening restored at last!!)

#2-Sheena, Queen Of The Jungle (50s series with Irish McCalla, not the Gena Lee Nolin travesty of a couple years ago)

#3-Dragnet (67-70)

#4-Mary Tyler Moore (Seasons 2-7)

#5-Batman (Adam West)

#6-Wonder Woman

#7-Shazam/Isis

#8-Alfred Hitchcock Presents/Alfred Hitchcock Hour

#9-The Fugitive

#10-I leave this slot open for about a dozen other series I'd gladly buy on DVD!

JohnAP

Second Unit
Hmmm...trying to think of what I'd definitely buy that hasn't been announced yet.

Gargoyles
Quantum Leap
Undeclared
The Adventures of Pete and Pete
Harvey Birdman

Also would love season sets of Batman and X-Men animated series and I can't wait for Freaks and Geeks.

Shane_Anthony

Stunt Coordinator
Does A&E own the rights to the Columbo??..

The original 70's movies had so many great guest stars including Robert Culp,Leonard Nemoy,Roddy Mcdowall,Patrick Mcgoohan,Martin Landau,William Shatner etc...

They've released a lot of tv stuff the last few years including Homicide LOTS. Let's hope this is on their radar for 2004..

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
just finished up my R2 discs of The Bionic Woman, and the absence of this series in season sets is a big disappointment to me.
even the R2 series stopped after only 3 discs (9 episodes).

watching them again after all these years i was struck by several things- how much production value Universal was able to inject in these weekly hour long fantasy shows, how much charisma Lindsey Wagner had- the warmth of her personality, and how it came thru on camera was a big reason i 've come to like this show better than the Lee Majors one, although i was initially a huge fan of that as well, and how much chemistry she and Richard Anderson had.
never had the hots for her as a kid (i was more into Cheryl Ladd), but i think shes just adorable now.

there should be a better than average chance of the 6 Million $ Man getting a box release if the Jim Carrey remake goes thru, but i fear that TBW will still remain shunted off to the side-especially considering the lack of sucsess of the R2 editions.

Paul Drake

Stunt Coordinator
My personal top 10 (in random order). Some of these may be available via subscriptions to Columbia House et al, but I'm excluding those since they're exhorbitantly expensive and not available at retail. I'm also excluding "Alpha" type releases.

For this list, I'm defining classic as being anything debuting before 1970:

1. Get Smart
2. The Adventures of Superman (George Reeves)
3. Batman
4. Dragnet (60's version)
5. Perry Mason
6. My Three Sons
7. Ironside
8. I Dream of Jeannie
9. Sherlock Holmes (Ronald Howard episodes, restored)
10. The Roy Rogers Show

If we extended this into the '70's, my #1 choice would be "The Rockford Files".

Doug Ennis

Stunt Coordinator
1. Wonder Years
2. Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman
3. Twin Peaks Season 2 (Region 1!!!)
4. 21 Jump Street
5. Beverly Hills 90210
6. Action!
7. Alfred Hitchcock Presents
8. Gun
9. Saturday Night Live Season Sets (impossible, I know)
10. Fugitive/Get Smart (tie)

Bob Graham

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Graham
My decidedly ecclectic want list (Most only lasted one season):

1. THE WESTERNER (excellent series created and written by Sam Peckinpah that only lasted 13 eposodes)
2. CAR 54, WHERE ARE YOU?
3. HE AND SHE
4. TALES OF THE VIKINGS
5. FRACTURED FLICKERS
6. IVANHOE (with Roger Moore "...There's justice in his banner, Freedom in his sword, He rides against the manor, Where tyranny is lord, Rich and poor together we go, Forward with Ivan-ho-o-oe, WIth Ivanhoe")
7. PECKINPAH: THE COLLECTED TV WORK: Could include Peckinpah scripted/directed episodes of THE RIFLEMAN; "Noon Wine" from ABC Playhouse 67; "The Losers", "Pericles on 34th Street" and other episodes from DICK POWELL THEATER
8. THE AMERICANS two brothers fighting on opposite sides during the Civil War

p.s. Make that three for THE WHITE SHADOW

Scott Leopold

Supporting Actor
I'd like to see a Chris Elliott compilation from Letterman. It would have to include everything he did, from The Fugitive Guy, to the guy under the stands, to Marlon Brando. I'd also like to see his HBO/Cinemax specials, FDR: A One Man Show, and The Action Family on DVD. I have these on VHS, but they deserve to be on DVD.

Speaking of Chrissy, season sets of Get A Life are a must. I've held off buying the two Rhino discs in hopes of complete seasons.

I'd like to see WKRP with the music restored. I'm also looking forward to SCTV. Brisco County Jr. is one I'd love to see as well.

One I'd like to see, but I'm sure will never be released, is My Occasional Wife. It's an extremely cheesy 60's series about a guy who works for a company with strict, traditional values. He's a real swinger, but the company expects him to be a family man. He convinces his neighbor two floors down to portray his wife when needed. Comedy Central used to run this years ago.

Oh, I'd also like to see MTV's Remote Control. I have a feeling the music rights would prevent it, but it'd be great to see the early Adam Sandler bits, as well as Kari Wuher and Collin Quinn.

Rob Mac

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rob
MOD SQUAD, MISSION IMPOSSIBLE, BATMAN, VENGEANCE UNLIMITED (Michael Madsen series), GET SMART, GARRISONS GORILLAS, HONEY WEST, T.H.E. CAT, MAN FROM U.N.C.L.E., and, doesn't "Jacko" own the BEATLES CARTOONS? Hey Mikey...release them and maybe the revenue will help offset the lawyer bills!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks