What's new

Classic titles for 2010 (2 Viewers)

Greg_M

Screenwriter
What classic films (pre 1970) are scheduled for release in 2010 (if any)
I only know of "The Music Man"

Derrick King

Screenwriter
Criterion has announced 81/2 (1963), due out 1/12, and Lola Montès (1955), due 2/16.

It is rumored that Blue Underground will release Django (1966) on 5/25.

ChristianLiemke

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Christian Liemke
January 25th
- “Privilege” [UK 1967, Peter Watkins] BFI UK "Flipside Collection"
- “That Kind of Girl” [UK 1963, Gerry O'Hara] BFI UK "Flipside Collection”
- “Permissive” [UK 1970, Lindsay Shonteff] BFI UK “Flipside Collection”

February
- "City Girl” [USA 1930, Friedrich Wilhelm Murnau] Masters of Cinema UK

February 15th
- "À bout de souffle” [F 1960, Jean-Luc Godard] Optimum / StudioCanal UK “StudioCanal Collection”
- “Pierrot le fou” [F / I 1965, Jean-Luc Godard] Optimum / StudioCanal UK “StudioCanal Collection”
- “The Ladykillers” [UK 1955, Alexander Mackendrick] Optimum / StudioCanal UK “StudioCanal Collection”
- “The Go-Between” [UK 1970, Joseph Losey] Optimum / StudioCanal UK “StudioCanal Collection”

February 18th
- "À bout de souffle” [F 1960, Jean-Luc Godard] Kinowelt / StudioCanal GER “StudioCanal Collection”
- “Pierrot le fou” [F / I 1965, Jean-Luc Godard] Kinowelt / StudioCanal GER “StudioCanal Collection”
- “The Ladykillers” [UK 1955, Alexander Mackendrick] Kinowelt / StudioCanal GER “StudioCanal Collection”
- “The Go-Between” [UK 1970, Joseph Losey] Kinowelt / StudioCanal GER “StudioCanal Collection”

March 8th
- "Ladri di biciclette / The Bicycle Thieves" [I 1948, Vittorio De Sica] Arrow Films UK

March 22nd
- “The Innocents” [UK 1961, Jack Clayton] BFI UK

Not pre 1970 but close:

March 2010
- “La planète sauvage / Fantastic Planet” [F / CS 1973, René Laloux] Masters of Cinema UK

March 1st
- “The Wicker Man” [UK 1973, Robin Hardy] Optimum UK

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Back in February High-def Digest spoke to George Feltenstein:

"...And Warner has plenty of those on tap. In addition to the Astaire-Rogers canon in 2010, Feltenstein said the 1954 'A Star Is Born' with Judy Garland, currently being remastered in 6K resolution, will also see a 2010 release, and 'Citizen Kane' will celebrate its 70th anniversary with a Blu-ray bow in 2011. Other titles in the pipeline include the 1959 'Ben-Hur,' which was already remastered in 1080p, but is being redone because, Feltenstein says, many viewers were displeased with the standard DVD transfer. 'Singin' in the Rain,' previously mastered in 1080i in 2001 is unsuitable for Blu-ray in its present form, so it's gone back to square one for a "profusely expensive" 1080p makeover..."

DVD Review is now saying November 2010 for Ben Hur, and it looks like a big box of, ah, stuff as is becoming the custom: "Painstakingly restored and prepared for high definition, the release will arrive in a wonderful gift set with all the bells and whistles you can hope for. Though no exact details have been announced at this time, we are already excited to see this cinematic landmark one year from now.".

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
The UK is really putting North America to shame when it comes to classic releases. Glad I bought that region-free player.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Originally Posted by Worth

The UK is really putting North America to shame when it comes to classic releases. Glad I bought that region-free player.
It's swings and roundabouts really. There have been many classic films released in the U.S. which have still not arrived in the U.K. such as The Robe, Patton, The Third Man, Gigi, An American in Paris, Battle of the Bulge, Repulsion, Becket, The Sand Pebbles, A Passage to India, The Seventh Voyage of Sinbad, The Adventures of Robin Hood, The Diary of Anne Frank, South Pacific, Dr, Strangelove etc. etc.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
This from a new NYP interview with George Feltenstein (I've just posted the complete piece in the SD forum for those interested):

One of the big vintage titles bowing on Blu-ray -- within the next six months, Felteinstein says -- is George Cukor's 1954 version of "A Star is Born" with Judy Garland. "It's an extraordinary presentation, with a lot of exciting extras," he says. Felsteinstein confirmed our earlier report that the extras include a remastered version of William Wellman's classic 1937 version. But not Cukor's "What Price Hollywood," which is considered a precursor. "We considered it, but there wasn't space and it truly isn't a version of the same story."

Greg_M

Screenwriter
Considering most Video companies announce titles 5- 6 months in advance (Which would bring us to May 2010) this is pretty slim pickings - especially since Blu-Ray sales have increased and prices are coming down

Great to have "The Music Man" one of my all time favorites - but that's about all I'm looking forward to, and what happened to "Those Maginificent Men in Their Flying Machines" and "The Agony and the Esctasy" Fox was to release these in 2009 but no info ever materialized

blimey

Grip
Real Name
Chaoran Li
Originally Posted by Greg_M

Considering most Video companies announce titles 5- 6 months in advance (Which would bring us to May 2010) this is pretty slim pickings.
No. Actually most studios announce titles only less than 3 months in advance.

Greg_M

Screenwriter
Well it depends on the title and studio - but we have known since early last year that "Wizard of Oz" "Gone With The Wind" and "North by Northwest" were coming in 2009

WB has two Classic titles scheduled for 2010 : The Green Berets and The Music Man
(With Doctor Zhivago, A Star is Born and The Exorcist possible)

FOX - Rocky Horror Picture Show

Paramount - zero

MGM/UA - is in limbo right now until the library is sold

Universal - what's a classic title?

SONY - zero

There should be a few more titles on scheudule through March 2009 (Plus Feb is usually a big sales month for Video)

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by John Hodson

Back in February High-def Digest spoke to George Feltenstein:

"...And Warner has plenty of those on tap. In addition to the Astaire-Rogers canon in 2010, Feltenstein said the 1954 'A Star Is Born' with Judy Garland, currently being remastered in 6K resolution, will also see a 2010 release, and 'Citizen Kane' will celebrate its 70th anniversary with a Blu-ray bow in 2011. Other titles in the pipeline include the 1959 'Ben-Hur,' which was already remastered in 1080p, but is being redone because, Feltenstein says, many viewers were displeased with the standard DVD transfer. 'Singin' in the Rain,' previously mastered in 1080i in 2001 is unsuitable for Blu-ray in its present form, so it's gone back to square one for a "profusely expensive" 1080p makeover..."

DVD Review is now saying November 2010 for Ben Hur, and it looks like a big box of, ah, stuff as is becoming the custom: "Painstakingly restored and prepared for high definition, the release will arrive in a wonderful gift set with all the bells and whistles you can hope for. Though no exact details have been announced at this time, we are already excited to see this cinematic landmark one year from now.".
TCM is having a first classic film festival in Hollywood in April 2009. Opening night features " A Star Is Born". There is no mention that they found more footage so I assume they didn't though it says newly restored. I also would assume the blu ray will come out shortly thereafter. At $400 for the cheapest pass , the film festival is not cheap. They don't even guarantee you will get into all screenings.

http://www.tcm.com/festival/events.jsp

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
A French site lists the following for 2010:

The Sound of Music (from a 4k scan, listed under its French title La mélodie du bonheur)
The Magnificent Seven
For a Few Dollars More
Hang 'Em High!

Les numériques

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks