What's new

Classic gaming thread (1 Viewer)

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Actually Final Fantasy 5 was released on the PSX Final Fantasy Anthology. Square did the translation a LONG time ago, but Nintendo decided not to publish it.
I played a fansub of it on emulation ;)

I always liked the old Bards Tale and Ultima games for the C64 or vic20. I still break out lords of conquest every once and a while on my c64, that game is sweet.

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
Gosh darnit, this is going to be long. Pardon me.
On my TV of late:
The first two Zeldas (the second game in particular is quite fun)... it's interesting seeing the differences between the first two Zelda games and the last (Oracle series).
Willow, which from the music sounds like it's from Capcom. It's a surprisingly well-done (for a movie license, anyway) adventure game done in a Zeldaesque top-view style.
Here are a couple of the most entertainingly bad games I've ever played on the NES (essentially unplayable)
Back to the Future 2&3 (Marty McFly running through buildings collecting coins (!), avoiding snakes, and dealing with poor, blotchy graphics and bad collision detection.)
Transformers (Japanese game) - start on planet surface. Move two inches forward, get struck by fast-moving projectile, screen goes black, lose a life. Repeat. Game Over.
And what everyone mentioned above, the classic Konami games:
Rush'n Attack (with the NES-exclusive airport level)
Metal Gear (the first and second)
Castlevania 1-3 (though I enjoy the second "RPG-style" installment not so enthusiastically - what was with that "ducking at the lake for five seconds" puzzle? I remember being so frustrated with this until a guy at school told me how to solve it! It still seems obtuse)
Anyone else remember how LJN toys used to put fake screenshots on the back of the box? (Karate Kid, Jaws, Gotcha!) - they were essentially paint-program drawings made up to look like screenshots. As if they weren't proud enough of the actual graphics.
I still haven't forgiven Data East for putting misleading arcade screenshots on the back of the box for their passable but graphically unspectacular "Kid Niki". (hey c'mon, I was way more gullable back then!)
"Super Mario All-Stars" is all well and good, but I prefer the style and control of the original 8-bit versions, especially SMB1 and SMB2-Japan ("lost levels")... I know this doesn't count as a console, but I also love the arcade version of super mario bros., which was different from the home version (and relentlessly difficult). These are all classics, and they present as much of a challenge as any graphically superior action platformer on the market today.
~Steve

Calvin Watts III

Supporting Actor
ts and old game, but I loved it as a kid. TIME PILOT
That is an awesome game! I still play that game from time to time.
You gaugh? I miss my Sega CD immensely. I really need a new one/get mine fixed. I have a hankering to play Star Wars Chess,Spiderman, Panic (one of the most screwed up games ever!) & Dune.
Yes,I know many of the games are bad..( I own about 80 of them) but,I still love this system...
Just thinking about makes me want to play Tomcat Alley... :D
Calvin

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Ahhhh. . .my ol' Genesis. . .loved that old girl.

I must second Herzog Zwei. Utter, complete genius. I'd wager it's still more fun than 90% of the real-time strategy games which have followed it. Looking back, it's amazing how far ahead of its time this puppy was.

Master of Monsters! Great fantasy wargame, again ahead of its time. Not unlike Panzer General. (Or I should say, PG's sequel, Fantasy General!) They released a PSX version, but unfortunately it sucked (the interface was lame and it was sloooooooow as molasses). Why they couldn't make it work is beyond me!

And there has yet to be a hockey video game that can stand up to the '92(I think that was the best, IIRC) incarnation of EA NHL on the Genesis!

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Wow, lots of great stuff already mentioned here, but I have to add my 2 cents. My NES and SNES are hooked up right next to the Xbox, Playstation and N64, and I still play em all from time to time.

I still have a soft spot for the C64 though, but have only been able to play via emulation recently. With all of the games mentioned though, I can't believe that nobody has recommended Jumpman! I think that to this day, I've logged more hours on Jumpan (actually more on Jumpman Junior) than on any other game I've owned since. Played the hell out of it as a kid (my record was one 4 hour game of Jumpman Jr...just never died).

I'll actually second Crystalis on the Nes, as well as add in Destiny of an Emperor as another underrated RPG.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Toejam & Earl! Right!

I seem to remember hearing that Sega was working on a sequel for the Dreamcast. Hopefully it'll see the light of day on the PS2.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
The old Ren & Stimpy game on Genesis was a lot of fun too--two players could play cooperatively, and you really had to work together to complete tasks. . .for instance, Ren could squeeze Stimpy to make him fart, and they would fly up in the air. I seem to remember Stimpy throwing Ren over obstacles, too. :)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I can't believe nobody mentioned this yet. . .one word which means so much to us old-timers. . .
INTELLIVISION!!!
My "Intellivision Classics" disc still logs plenty of time on my PSX. 30 games, I can't pick just one to single out. Frog Bog? ;) (A shame it doesn't include Utopia, though.)

Brian Girard

Agent
I'm really surprised noone mentioned the Sega Master System yet. My favorite games on this classic system were Phantasy Star, Miracle Warriors, R-Type, Golvellius, Alf, Rampage, Alien Syndrome, Transbot, Double Dragon (2-players at the same time, unlike the NES version), Shinobi, Out Run, Hang On, Rastan, Spy vs. Spy, Great Basketball, and several others I just can't remember the names of.

Sega CD favorites were Shining Force CD, Adventures of Willy Beamish, Dark Wizard, Lunar: The Silver Star, Lunar II: Eternal Blue, and Vay.

Jake Gove

Second Unit
Favorite Intellivision games:

Utopia - one of the first "sim" games

Burgertime

Night Stalker

Don't forget the Apple II:

Karateka

Lode Runner

Choplifter

Jason F.

Stunt Coordinator
MIKE TYSON'S PUNCH OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is my favorite all time game!!!! Along with Goldeneye for n64.

Jason F.

Stunt Coordinator
R.C. Pro Am, LOL! I almost forgot about that one. Other greats are River City Ransom, Super Dodge Ball, Tecmo Football and Excitebike.

A few classic Sega Genesis games:
Mutant League Football: FINALLY a football game where killing the other team is taken literally. Gameplay blatantly stolen from the Madden franchise. Mediocre graphics, limited sound, lots of bugs (only console game I've ever owned that would crash regularly), and endless, endless fun.
Skitchin': I think of this game as the predecessor to SSX. Terrific control, wild music, great gameplay, TONS of hidden stuff to explore and find, and of course a great reward system for tricks. Not the first game to do any of these things, but it did them all early and well.
Road Rash (and its sequel): I'm sensing a pattern of violent sports games here. . . motorcycles and mayhem. Great tracks, great bikes, and I loved building up winnings to buy the next bike.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks