What's new

Classic DVD Forecast Fall/Holiday 2014 (1 Viewer)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
LeoA said:
At least there's something. I'm interested in more Newhart, WKRP, Highway to Heaven, Bilko, and The Facts of Life off the top of my head. Wish there was more 50's and 60's content, though.

I'll have to consider The Ghost & Mrs. Muir from Australia, I suppose.

I wouldn't give up hope just yet. Looks like the first word around here of a remastering last year was on September 2nd (You broke the news), followed a couple of days later by DVD releases being announced and product pages appearing on Wal-Mart's website. So the opportunity for a similar tabletable this Fall hasn't yet passed us by.

And while they wouldn't be Christmas releases if this scenario happened, it's worth noting that the general retail release of both didn't happen until last spring. So even if the Wal-Mart deal doesn't continue, there's a bit of a chance they might be following up with general releases of both subsequent seasons early next year.

I'll be quite saddened if these don't continue. The impressions from several of us around these parts were that they were moving pretty well at their local Wal-Mart's. I remember buying Petticoat Junction and there were perhaps a half dozen copies on the shelf locally.

It was out of stock just a few days later when I checked.
Yeah... both those titles sold *very* well here - but I'm in the Mid-South, a breeding ground for lovers of that type program. I made sure to pre-order from the WM website as I figured they'd fly off the shelves, and they did. It *does* leave a margin of hope, eh?

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
I tried ordering from their website on the day of release since the local Walmart showed to have them but couldn't find them. Out of stock on the first day. It sounds to me like it sold fairly well. I dunno, it just seems like CBS still has some sort of aversion to their rural comedies.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Randy Korstick said:
Time will tell if they do any complete series sets. They have completed a few shows now and have yet to do that with any of them. Although With their Made on Demand strategy it really doesn't fit to do a complete series since those are usually done as a way to move excess stock unless its released as a complete series from the beginning.
Given that there are 9 seasons of The FBI, I think it makes sense. I imagine they could pick up some sales from those that are reluctant to buy one season at a time or pay $300 to $400 for the whole bunch. I think that they could sell a sizable number of sets around $150.

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
JoeDoakes said:
Given that there are 9 seasons of The FBI, I think it makes sense. I imagine they could pick up some sales from those that are reluctant to buy one season at a time or pay $300 to $400 for the whole bunch. I think that they could sell a sizable number of sets around $150.
I would fall into that category. As someone who is only familiar with The FBI from reading about it and viewing a few clips, I find the idea of getting the whole 9 years for around $150 and getting to explore the entire series more appealing than paying between $30 to $50 for a half-season. Even with shows I already know and like (such as Gunsmoke and Perry Mason), i've waited for a reasonable price before purchasing the half-season sets, so with a show that would be pretty much a blind buy, a reasonably priced full set such as Joe describes would be ideal. And I'm sure I'm not the only one who would take a chance on the show if such a set were offered.

Pete York

Supporting Actor
Johnny Angell said:
I thought WKRP had huge music rights problems. They been solved?
HenryDuBrow said:
As Herb Tarlek would say; we don't know... :unsure:
FWIW, word from Shout!:

wkrpmusic.jpg

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
That's the thing though is most that want the show have already bought it or are in the process of buying it so if they did offer a complete set it wouldn't make sense for them to offer it at less than $300.00 with not that many sales left and not many would buy at that price. So since they are made on demand sticking with single sets and frequent sales makes the most sense for them. Its still possible but with Cheyenne, Maverick, Courtship of Eddies Father, Tarzan, Eight is Enough all complete and no complete series sets yet I think that gives us a good idea of their plans on this.
JoeDoakes said:

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
bronson said:
I´m quite disappointed that CBS/Paramount has stalled classic series like "Matt Houston", Evening Shade, Jake and the Fatman, Barnaby Jones, Hotel, Cannon etc.

I think it´s evident that the selling numbers were too low. Otherwise they would have continue the series like they did with "Hawaii Five 0, Streets of San Francisco, Vega$ and Mannix.
For some of those selling numbers may have played a part, for others it could be remastering taking time as was the case with Streets.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I agree that I don't see Warner offering discounts because in a MOD program you don't have that inventory dump factor. Plus, it wouldn't be fair to those of us who are the most loyal of customers on these titles. And I certainly don't see them doing anything "complete" that would result in a compressed packaging thing which is the only reason I have sometimes gone that route (like getting the Five-O set for Christmas) to save shelf space. When I compare their price models to CBS, I think Warner does just fine overall.

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
According to the CBS Syndication Bible, the remastering of Season 11 of Gunsmoke is "in progress," a good sign for its eventual release on DVD. It would be the last black and white season.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
That also would increase the total number of shows on DVD from the 1965-66 season to 39 which is a record no other season of vintage TV has matched!

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Randy Korstick said:
That's the thing though is most that want the show have already bought it or are in the process of buying it so if they did offer a complete set it wouldn't make sense for them to offer it at less than $300.00 with not that many sales left and not many would buy at that price. So since they are made on demand sticking with single sets and frequent sales makes the most sense for them. Its still possible but with Cheyenne, Maverick, Courtship of Eddies Father, Tarzan, Eight is Enough all complete and no complete series sets yet I think that gives us a good idea of their plans on this.
I have bought all of Maverick. With two seasons general retail, and one half season, its doable. So are the others you mentioned (with the possible exception of Cheyenne). But 9 seasons of the FBI, sold in half season sets; that's really a challenge for show I have only vague childhood memories of. Personally, think that they could pick up significant sales from people who wouldn't want to wade into that, but it would also be a departure from their primary model, so they might not want to wade into that. On the other hand, I don't know of really any other show with that many seasons WA is likely to release.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
jdee28 said:
According to the CBS Syndication Bible, the remastering of Season 11 of Gunsmoke is "in progress," a good sign for its eventual release on DVD. It would be the last black and white season.
The Syndication Bible also lists Bonanza Season 8 as completed in HD and Happy Days Season 6 as in progress.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
On the other hand, I don't know of really any other show with that many seasons WA is likely to release.
There is no other show in the entire MGM or Warner TV catalog as long as "The FBI". "77 Sunset Strip" is the longest running unreleased show they have and that's only six seasons.If you're only a casual fan who just wants to sample the best of it, then I would recommend going no further than the first four seasons or so. By Seasons 7 and 8, I have noticed a great deal of creative atrophying, not helped by pressure group edicts to minimize violence which removed murderers from the kind of guest villains being profiled.

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Jack P said:
That also would increase the total number of shows on DVD from the 1965-66 season to 39 which is a record no other season of vintage TV has matched!
By next year, the final season of Kildare should be out. That would make 40. Someone also hinted at a continuation of Peyton Place soon. So there is a real possibility of more.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I went ahead and asked them on facebook if they had an plans to release complete series sets. I will post here if they answer.
Starting with Season 4 they have released the show as complete seasons which dropped the price just a bit. I only buy them on sale.
JoeDoakes said:
I have bought all of Maverick. With two seasons general retail, and one half season, its doable. So are the others you mentioned (with the possible exception of Cheyenne). But 9 seasons of the FBI, sold in half season sets; that's really a challenge for show I have only vague childhood memories of. Personally, think that they could pick up significant sales from people who wouldn't want to wade into that, but it would also be a departure from their primary model, so they might not want to wade into that. On the other hand, I don't know of really any other show with that many seasons WA is likely to release.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks