What's new

International Classic British DVD titles from Network! (1 Viewer)

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
New titles:

* Fascination (Madeleine Carroll) 12th January DVD & BLU
* Young & Innocent (Nova Pilbeam / Hitchcock) 19th January BLU
* You Can't Escape (Noelle Middleton) 12th January

fascination (1).jpg
fascination.jpg
young-and-innocent.jpg

you-can-t-escape.jpg

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
I'm in for Young and Innocent ...
and hoping Network gets their hands on the two Glynis Johns mermaid movies .. Mad About Men and Miranda.
Also waiting patiently for The Importance of Being Earnest ... this would seem a natural for Network!

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
I'm also holding out hope that "Miranda" will be released by Network. "Mad About Men" was included in a UK Donald Sinden boxset from ITV, which is according to Amazon UK, now out-of-print, so I'm hoping for that as well. Maybe Network may see fit to include both films on a single disc.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
It's a sign that you have too many DVDs when you forget that you already have certain titles.

I'd forgotten all about the excellent (11 Movie) Donald Sinden boxset.
Thanks for the reminder Anthony and Byron.

"Mad About Men" looks quite good, although I'm not sure if the DVD's 4:3 ratio is correct.

mad1.jpg
mad2.jpg
mad3.jpg

PS. You have to love the on-screen credit: Tails by Dunlop :) Now we finally know where Mermaids go to get their replacement body parts.

I'd also like to see "Miranda"

Doug.

P

patjo

Between them , ITV and Studio Canal seem to own the bulk of classic British movies and as Network have deals with both of them I suspect Network may get round to releasing most except the big guns which ITV and SC may keep for themselves.
How ironic that the golden years of British cinema are now in the hands of the French

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
Most of Network's British Film titles have been via Studiocanal, except for a very small handful which have been ITV Global. I purchased "The Chiltern Hundreds" which had the ITV logo, but I've since decided to sell that one on, because the soundtrack was so murky and muffled that I had absolutely NO clue what the film was actually about.

P

patjo

As far as I know ITV's only major film library they own is the Rank library . They do own much more including the ITC archive but Rank account for more than any other.

Studio Canal on the other hand basically just inherited the history of British cinema when they bought what was once owned by Thorn EMI which itself had swallowed up practically all the films made by all the little studios throughout the decades until the British film industry went into decline thanks to tv .
I think this is the reason for Networks sudden switch to movies this year . Their deal with SC is presumably only for a limited time so they're rushing out hundreds of little films within that time as the market for them is unlikely to be large enough for a second term.
That's my theory anyway . Network did say they plan to release around 350 of these British Films so I expect they want them on the shelves for as long as possible while they have the rights to them.

Nice to see ITV letting them release some titles on Bluray

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Stefan Andersson said:
Question regarding BLACK MUSEUM:

Famous Monsters Of Filmland more than once ran a photo supposedly from this film that showed the silage ice clamp firmly embedded into the neck of the female antique dealer, the woman's face one of surprise and pain before she slumps to the floor and dies. In every print I have ever seen of the film, though, there is a cut to a close up of Michael Gough's face just before the clamp makes contact. Was the more graphic shot I mentioned ever a part of any theatrical or video release? I am thinking it was a publicity shot, but if so, it was more graphic than the film itself, which seems unusual.

GregoryMesh

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gregory Mesh
It seems Fascination blu is cancelled - no longer listed at Network web site and moved to unforeseeable future at Amazon, but more titles to announce:

51o-LSd8%2BIL._.jpg
61MzfnI2egL._.jpg
51mlrk4imYL..jpg
61VbN2Zw8vL._.jpg

51lxTyinbKL..jpg
51KAbHBGcdL..jpg

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
GregoryMesh said:
It seems Fascination blu is cancelled - no longer listed at Network web site and moved to unforeseeable future at Amazon, but more titles to announce:

51o-LSd8%2BIL._.jpg
61MzfnI2egL._.jpg
51mlrk4imYL..jpg
61VbN2Zw8vL._.jpg

51lxTyinbKL..jpg
51KAbHBGcdL..jpg
GregoryMesh said:
The standard DVD of "Fascination" is still listed as coming on the 12th of January. Maybe the HD elements aren't viable at this time??

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
as long as they come, all is well.
Especially good to hear about Tamarind Seed on BD!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks