What's new

International Classic British DVD titles from Network! (1 Viewer)

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
So far there are at least fourteen George Formby titles on official, mainly good quality DVDs issued by Sony and StudioCanal.
The appearance of the rarely seen "Feather Your Nest" on the upcoming Ealing Rarities set will be a most welcome addition.

It's the film that introduced his famous song "Leaning On a Lampost"

Doug.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
I would be interested in The Lady Vanishes blu-ray but I don't think Network are including Crook's Tour, which is one of my favourite 'B's. I will wait to see how the image quality compares with the Criterion release before deciding which to buy.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
New titles:

* Freedom of the Seas (Clifford Mollison) 10th November
* My Teenage Daughter (Anna Neagle & Sylvia Syms) 6th October
* Oh Boy (Albert Burdon) 22nd September

my-teenage-daughter.jpg
oh-boy.jpg

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
More new titles announced:

* Mine Own Executioner (Burgess Meredith) 9th March DVD & BLU
* The Nightcomers (Marlon Brando) 23rd February

mine-own-executioner.jpg
mine-own-executioner (1).jpg
nightcomers-the.jpg

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
New announcements:

* British Musicals of the 1930s: Volume 3 (Facing the Music / For the Love of Mike / My Song Goes Round the World / Heart's Desire) 12th January
* Our Man in Marrakesh (Tony Randall) 19th January

british-musicals-of-the-1930s-volume-3.jpg
our-man-in-marrakesh.jpg

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I didn't realize that this had been moved to the international category, which I never look at. Anyway, I was over at Amazon.co.uk, and I saw that the classic BBC series of Count of Monte Christo had been found and released: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Count-Monte-Cristo-Complete-DVD/dp/B00JQK2SKK/ref=sr_1_2?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1405202470&sr=1-2&keywords=count+of+monte+cristo. It's not from Network, and there is a chance that the BBC will license it to A&E or someone for region 1, but I figured that those on this thread would be interested in it.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
A Third Box Set of British Musicals is fantastic news.
The first two sets are terrific, so this one is a must have for me.

They are really great value seeing you get 4 films for the price of one.
Thank you Network.

Doug.

GregoryMesh

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gregory Mesh
Our Man in Marrakesh is on blu in US from Olive under its US title - Bang! Bang! You're Dead!

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
I'm hoping that Network has a few more Glynis Johns and Margaret Lockwood titles coming. I think all the titles for this year have been announced... now focusing on next year's slate. I must say, Network seems very dedicated to this range, and the sheer volume of titles, already released and those to come, is very impressive.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
I have just received my pre-order of The Man Who Wouldn't Talk. The image quality is very good and the DVD looks to have an aspect ratio of 1.66. I don't think Zsa Zsa has ever looked so good in b & w so recommended for fans of hers. If you want to see her in colour you obviously need look no further than the classic Queen of Outer Space (both films from 1958 - a good year).

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
Oh fantastic! I have that film in my Network cart, ready to go as soon as "The Wild Affair" and "Loser Takes All" are released on the 28th.

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Keith Cobby said:
I have just received my pre-order of The Man Who Wouldn't Talk. The image quality is very good and the DVD looks to have an aspect ratio of 1.66. I don't think Zsa Zsa has ever looked so good in b & w so recommended for fans of hers. If you want to see her in colour you obviously need look no further than the classic Queen of Outer Space (both films from 1958 - a good year).
Thanks for this. I've had the title in my cart for some time now but have been on the fence until reading this.

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
The reviews of PQ The Quiller Memorandum on Amazon are uniformly negative--has anyone here who bought the disc confirm?

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Mike*HTF said:
The reviews of PQ The Quiller Memorandum on Amazon are uniformly negative--has anyone here who bought the disc confirm?
I've bought the Blu-ray disc and I think the picture quality is fairly good. Not exceptional, not the best disc in my collection but it's a disc I'll watch repeatedly without being irritated.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks