What's new

International Classic British DVD titles from Network! (1 Viewer)

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Well done mate.
If that price holds then you've done very well.

I saw a few titles in that sale that I would have ordered but their silly un-defined postage listing turned me away.

I'd be interested to hear if the Harry Secombe film on Rarities vol 4 called "DAVY" is Anamorphic or 4:3 Letterbox. (and if the colour is any good)

I'll have to watch out for their next sale.

Doug.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
Even without the sale prices the site is quite cheap - I'd say have a punt anyway and see how it goes. I'm definitely going to be a repeat customer if this order reaches me without a hitch.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
Doug Bull said:
I'd be interested to hear if the Harry Secombe film on Rarities vol 4 called "DAVY" is Anamorphic or 4:3 Letterbox. (and if the colour is any good)
I'll take a look and let you know about that one when it arrives.

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug Bull said:
"Elstree Calling" is a rare gem. As a very early sound film it contains hand coloured sequences.

I've been very impressed with Network so far (bar one hiccup).
All of their titles are rare and I would think that most have never been available on Video before.
They are all legit studio releases, using the best available studio material.
Another voice for Elstree Calling which also has Anna May Wong to recommend it. Will be interested to see how Flame of Love looks.
I agree that the selection and general quality of these (many obscure) films has been fabulous.
Even minor actioners such as Victim Five, Hide and Seek, or The Man Who Finally Died have all been well represented.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
I'm hoping that Anna Neagle's "Maytime in Mayfair" (arguably the best of her musicals with frequent leading man Michael Wilding) will be in the pipeline, seeing as they are shortly to release "Spring in Park Lane".

bluelaughaminute

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ernie
International shipping must be one of the beneficiaries of Networks policy of using the extremely thin 7mm dvd cases for these British Film titles .They are easy to store but do look out of place next to everything else. Even their dvd/bd combos use those thin cases.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
I appreciate the thin cases because space is at a premium for me; but yes, I think I'll have to create a separate section for the 'British Film' collection because they look a bit odd when mixed in, alphabetised, with my other DVDs.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
RE: The 40-pounds international shipping charge, I just performed an experiment on the Network website.

I added around 10 'British Film' titles into my cart, with a small postage (like the amount I paid) reflected. It was only after I added the large "Upstairs Downstairs" Complete Series set (a quite bulky set which I already own) that the postage fee rocketed to 40 pounds. So I'd say that yes, owing to the 'British Film' titles being packaged in smaller thin-cases, the postage fees on Network are calculated by bulk and not by quantity.

moviepas

Supporting Actor
You can get to Thunderbean and send them a message safely by going to Amazon.com.Go to Thunderbean's Amazon shop front and click on 'about thunderbean'That will lead you to order queries, etc.I've heard that they are very trustworthy and reliable.

Thanks Doug. I have just gone that route and we will see what happens. I will repost at such times I hear and the outcome.

moviepas

Supporting Actor
I too collect these Network films and TV shows. It does astound me where they get the elements for many of the 1930s rarely seen since films. The quality is unbelieveable in many cases. It should be noted that there was a film lab fire a few years back that destroyed negatives to some Ealings films that were being restored. Now some Ealing are appearing on Blu Ray and I have It Always rains on Sunday in that format. I think that one has a trailer that is rough and comes from Australia with the local distributors logo on it(BEF Films).

Sunstruck (AKA The Education of Stanley Evans)Harry Secombe) was a British-Australian film made in Australia that may not have had a home release until now. It did not do too well at the time but I liked it. It was distributed by the same BEF previously referred to. Many of the performers would be well known to Doug Bull & myself.

I am hopeful Network will release the British-Australian film, Wherever She Goes(AKA The Eileen Joyce Story). Joyce was a local pianist who went to London later and does the piano dubbing in this c1952 film. It was one of few films in the period shown in USA but did poorly. Ealing was involved with it.

Another Australian film that showed in US(often on TV I am told by family in Detroit) was The Rats of Tobruk(1944) which has had a US DVD release some years ago but the US version is cut to about 75mins. The full 96mins version and trailer has just been released in Australia in NTSC format. Peter Finch is one of the stars. Another of the director's war films was also released at the same time, Forty Thousand Horsemen(1940 w/trailer)) set in WW1. Also NTSC. There is a 74mins documentary on the life of the director/producer Charles Chauvel which is common to both discs.

Real Name
Steve Stanchfield
moviepas said:
Now if only I can get a response from Thunderbean Animation for their Gulliver's Travels Blu Ray and about 3 other titles I PayPalled back in March at their request. Then nothing. Very concerned as I do want the discs and Google searches on my machine have the line that the site is a Virus carrier and clicking gets me a refusal to connect page and I got one saying it was a fraud site. I don't believe this.

We're fine, but our website got attacked (not by Malware at all but by someone in Michigan reporting malware on the site) a few months back. It's happened 3 or more times in a row- someone seems like they're doing it on purpose!

As for Emails, I'm getting them- this week was hard with reviews at the school (we look at 260 student's work in 5 days).

We've caught up on some paypal orders now- sorry for the delays. For ordering on Amazon, they automatically charge crazy amounts for more than one DVD internationally. Write me and I'll jump in and fix it (it lets you give a refund, but oddly doesn't let you change the postage before the charge!).

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Thunderbean said:
We're fine, but our website got attacked (not by Malware at all but by someone in Michigan reporting malware on the site) a few months back. It's happened 3 or more times in a row- someone seems like they're doing it on purpose!

As for Emails, I'm getting them- this week was hard with reviews at the school (we look at 260 student's work in 5 days).

We've caught up on some paypal orders now- sorry for the delays. For ordering on Amazon, they automatically charge crazy amounts for more than one DVD internationally. Write me and I'll jump in and fix it (it lets you give a refund, but oddly doesn't let you change the postage before the charge!).
There you go Moviepas,
I told you Thunderbean was trustworthy and reliable.

I'm still enjoying "Gulliver's Travels" I've watched it a few times since I received it.

Great disc.

Doug.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
If anybody has connections with Network, please let them know that DUEL IN THE JUNGLE was composed for widescreen and should be 1.66:1.

Duel-in-Jungle-7.28.53-Moti.gif

Duel-in-Jungle.jpg

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
I cannot recall watching Duel in the Jungle before so will be ordering from Network along with The Man Who Wouldn't Talk (great film for Zsa Zsa fans!). I find the quality of Network DVD/blu-rays to be very good.

moviepas

Supporting Actor
There you go Moviepas,I told you Thunderbean was trustworthy and reliable.I'm still enjoying "Gulliver's Travels" I've watched it a few times since I received it.

Yes, Steve contacted me today also. I still remember when GTV9 first showed this on TV in b&w. They got it in the Paramount/MCA package for some reason. Pity THunderbean don't have Hoppity/Bugs.

Ken

Everett S.

Movie King (formally a projectionist)
Real Name
Everett
Wow, The Gang's All Here, Technicolor sillyness.SEE the giant banana number that was cut in 1942,then put back in the 1970's.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks