What's new

Citizen Kane DVD: What could go wrong? (1 Viewer)

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Since all hell is breaking loose because WB has released two open matte/P&S DVD's (or will release), what could go wrong with the Citizen Kane DVD and Doctor Zhivago DVD?
Be serious, though.
I pre-ordered them, so I'd like to know what could be screwed up.
------------------
P.S.: There's no P.S.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
what could go wrong
Colorized "Turner Special Edition" Citizen Kane.
Pan and scan Doctor Zhivago.
Anything else we could probably live with....
tongue.gif

------------------
Feline audience members Katie, Susie, and the one and only Fluffy Pumpkin

Jason Hughes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Hughes
I know what will happen. The WB will crop Citizen Kane down to 2.20 : 1 they way MGM did with a re-release of Gone With the Wind in the late 60s! Also, the audio will only be in DTS 5.1.
They will pan and scan Doctor Zhivago, but there will be no panning, just the left 50% of the picture at all times. Oh, and they will cut the running time down to 87 minutes, to cut all the boring crap out in between the good parts so the Brittney (sp?) Spears crowd can get into it.
[Edited last by Jason Hughes on August 15, 2001 at 08:07 PM]

Mark Klaus

Stunt Coordinator
They'll probably have some "whiz-kid" marketing phenom determine that CK buyers are movie buffs and thus like widescreen presentations. They'll then letterbox an academy ration film, hacking off the top and bottom. Then they'll take that cropped version and Pan and Scan it for J6P.
Seriously, if it wasn't Citizen Kane, I wouldn't be buying it. I had Wonka, Goonies and Dr. Z all on my "to-buy" list and will pass on all of them, Wonka out of principal and the others because I'm po'ed at Warner.

Nigel McN

Supporting Actor
guys, don't joke about widescreen too much, I saw this at the theatres earlier this year and they had matted it to widescreen! The actual title
Citizen
Kane
was cropped at the top and bottom and the screens with text (newspapers and such) were panned up and down. try not to give Warner any ideas!

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
oh, great! now we can look forward to the new 'Deluxe Matted Editions' of:
Citzen Kane
Wizard of OZ
Gone With The WInd
Strangers on a Train (your choice 2.35 or 1.85)
maybe can we trick them into adding:
The Shining
Eyes Wide Shut
Full Metal Jacket..., also...!
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

------------------
[Edited last by Mark_TS on August 15, 2001 at 10:14 PM]

Steve Enemark

Second Unit
Richard Donner could step in and give Warner Bros. sound technicians carte-blanche to throw away the original soundtrack and recreate a new one full of overdone sound fx, then add in a bunch of unnecessary scenes. Oh, sorry, that's how SUPERMAN could go wrong.
------------------
"Always make the audience suffer as much as possible" - Alfred Hitchcock

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
What could go wrong?
Remember those dropped lines of dialogue in 2001 and OHMSS and others?
Well, they could screw up the dialogue and lose a line. Perhaps Spoiler:his final word, Rosebud, could get cut
frown.gif

------------------
13-time NBA world champion Lakers: 1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001

Cary

Stunt Coordinator
To get serious for a second, there's a long piece in the new Video Store mag about Warner's work on CK (starts on page 11). The article makes clear that this has been a major effort on their part, mentioning 100 different people working on this (part-time I hope) and three years to deliver it. At the same time, it mentions that they had to work with two different film masters, neither of which sounds great, and did extensive digital processing and color-timing to get the final version. My hopes remain high for this release, but my first reaction while reading was that there's an awful lot that could go wrong with all of this. I'm holding out for the first reviews of the DVD.

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
I ordred CK even though I never seen it. I bought it on principle cause its a classic. (And I wanted the War of the Worlds radio broadcast).
In response to a couple earlier posts:
Im pissed at WB for this W/S fiasco but Im still buying the Goonies as Ive been waiting for years for this DVD. I love this movie and im a Donner fan.
Superman wasnt screwed up. Donner redid the sound and added scenes he originally cut. Since Donner supported it so will I.
I wont buy or even watch Cats and Dogs. It looks to be a piece of shit film. I did sign the petiton based on principle and to support W/S on family films.
Boy I cant wait for the chat in OCT.

GaryEA

Second Unit
quote: Richard Donner could step in and give Warner Bros. sound technicians carte-blanche to throw away the original soundtrack and recreate a new one full of overdone sound fx, then add in a bunch of unnecessary scenes. Oh, sorry, that's how SUPERMAN could go wrong.[/quote]
Damn. You beat me to it Steve.
-g
[Edited last by GaryEA on August 16, 2001 at 04:59 PM]

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
I personally think that our complaints would be taken much more seriously without rants like this.
Yes, Warner dropped the ball on Willy Wonka and Cats and Dogs, but when they do get things right, it's usually terrific.
Let us not forget that Warner has put out some stunning releases in the past and I have every confidence that Citizen Kane and Dr. Zhivago will be among them.
This in no way excuses the travesty of releasing non-OAR only DVDs. In fact, there's a link to a protest petition below...
------------------
RainHTFpic.jpg

"People always clap for the wrong things." - J.D. Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye
Anyone in the Vancouver, BC area interested in meeting up? If so, click here .
Please sign the online petition against Warner Brothers' recent non-OAR releases. Click here .
[Edited last by Rain on August 16, 2001 at 06:17 PM]

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
I agree with Rain. I have every confidence in this release. I feel it is going to be breath-taking in every way, and the transfer is going to excel past even discs like The Third Man and Grand Illusion.
The extras alone are astounding. I cannot think of ANYTHING already existing that they didn't put on the disc, excepting the complete screenplay.
I can't see anyone getting upset over this - unless Warner use that bizarre 2-disc packaging they used for the remastered JFK and Any Given Sunday. But didn't they say they'd use a different kind of packaging for 2-disc editions from now on (like Fight Club, Se7en, Magnolia, etc.)?

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
What could go wrong? The DVD turns out to be a special edition DVD that costs $59.99 and comes with the cane from Citizen Kane.
------------------
"I don't know, Marge. Trying is the first step towards failure." - Homer J. Simpson

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks