What's new

Citizen Kane and Doctor Zhivago in snappers? (1 Viewer)

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I noticed a few people have refused to buy Citizen Kane because it'll be in a snapper.
Uh...when was this announced?
------------------
P.S.: There's no P.S.

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
People are refusing to buy Citizen Kane because it's in a snapper?
I cannot fathom that kind of thinking whatsoever...
DVDs are for playing, not for show. Yeah, it would be nicer if it was in a keepcase, but it's not, so either re-format the cover to put it in a keepcase or just buy the disc (which looks to be one of the five greatest ever produced).
It's not as if it's any great shock that it's going to be in a snapper (it's Warner for Pete's sake) - besides, how do you know it won't be a foldout style case, ala Se7en or Fight Club?
Some people really need to get their priorities straightened when it comes to this hobby. Packaging is not high on my list (indeed, it's not even ON my list).

Louis-Olivier

Stunt Coordinator
they are refusing to buy it because it's a 2 disc set. So if it comes in a snapper, the second disc will be in a paper enveloppe like the dvds in the Oliver stone box set.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Warner abandoned the "Oliver Stone" 2 disc packaging officially because EVERYONE hated it. I believe they are using some variant on the "Fight Club" style
Jeff Kleist

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Apart from my opinion of the snapper - I simply cannot believe that any filmlover would refuse to buy Citizen Kane or Dr Zhivago solely based on the case it was sold in. Whoever did that, would expose him/herself as a fake lover of the artform!
Cees
Festival2001CLA.jpg

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
I hate snappers as much as the next person, but to not buy Citizen Kane or Doctor Zhivago because of it? Crazy people if you ask me.
P.S. Does anybody know if there's a deleted scene in Doctor Zhivago where a train blows up? It's not a David Lean movie unless a train blows up
laugh.gif
------------------
"I don't know, Marge. Trying is the first step towards failure." - Homer J. Simpson

Roger Mathus

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Mathus
Warner provides a keepcase in the Japanese market. In the USA market, Warner knows that the consumer will buy the product anyway. Successful companies listen to their customers; but with exclusive rights, a movie is like a monopoly. The assumed attitude of Warner that "the U.S. customer will buy it anyway" surfaced a few years ago when Warner provided then new AC-3 (Dolby Digital 5.1) on laser discs in Japan on many titles released without AC-3 in USA. This was an issue on a pre-HTF newsgroup (alt.video.laserdisc). Someone thought to be from Warner brought up this point. What Warner is saying is you can have it the way we want to provide it. Thus, Warner tells us that we must take the snapper and now 4X3 on family movies.
While the disc is the most important consideration, a nice package that is durable and protects the disc is important to the collector. Warner provides the quality package to its Japan customers, why not to the USA customers? In the case of Ben Hur, the Japan market got two DVD-9s in with nice art on the front of the discs in a two disc keepcase. The U.S. market got one two sided DVD-18 in a snapper. Both had same content with Japanese language support added for Region 2.
Warner seems to know that the customer does not like the snapper (several surveys demonstrate this) but prefers to ignore their U.S. customer wants while providing what the U.S. customer wants to other markets. Yes, "they will buy it anyway."

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Whatever. I'm not going to buy Citizen Kane unless Warner gets their act together and offers it in 5.1 sound and colorized. Who wants to see some boring old mono black & white film, anyway?
tongue.gif

------------------
Feline audience members Katie, Susie, and the one and only Fluffy Pumpkin

Tim Gerdes

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim Gerdes
While I would love to see Citizen Kane and Doctor Zhivago in some form of a double case, rather than with the second disc in a flimsy paper sleeve, I don't think that's going to happen. I think we'll get exactly the same packaging that we got with the Oliver Stone collection.
quote: Warner abandoned the "Oliver Stone" 2 disc packaging officially because EVERYONE hated it. I believe they are using some variant on the "Fight Club" style[/quote]
Not to sound cynical, but Warner also promised that because of customer complaints they would stop releasing "Friends" and "South Park" in best of collections. That didn't happen.
Until they earn some of my trust, I will remain skeptical of Warner's promises.
Still, none of this would prevent me from purchasing either of these fine films. To base a purchase on poor packaging seems the height of absurdity.
Tim
[Edited last by Tim Gerdes on August 19, 2001 at 08:59 PM]

Roger Mathus

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Mathus
To set the record straight, I also do not base purchase upon the package. I just think that Warner should listen to their customers. For these two releases, however, I will likeky purchase the Japanese release. In the case of Warner, their prices in Japan are nearly the same as in USA. The two disc sets in Japan (in keepcase) are priced at 2980 yen with street price about 20% less. Yen/$ rate is from 120-125 these days.

richard plumb

Stunt Coordinator
snappers are the cases with the cardboard front, right?
I'm guessing Warner must have a vested interest in using these - did they invent them?
Even if they want to keep using them, wouldn't it make sense to create a proper 2-disc version for their 2-disc movies? I can't beleive they put the second disc in a paper sleeve! If they can't put a disc on the cardboard side, why not add a flap, like Gladiator?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
quote: Whatever. I'm not going to buy Citizen Kane unless Warner gets their act together and offers it in 5.1 sound and colorized. Who wants to see some boring old mono black & white film, anyway? [/quote]
And don't forget, it needs to be in anamorphic widescreen, too.
laugh.gif

While I doubt that I would buy this title if it came in a lead balloon like Gary (where would I store the balloon? :) ), a snapper case will not prevent me from purchasing either of these discs, nor any other film that I love.
------------------
My DVD Collection
AFI 100 Films to watch: 40 -> 5
[Edited last by Scott Merryfield on August 20, 2001 at 09:09 AM]

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
I would never refuse to buy a title solely because of the packaging. To be honest, I really don't mind the snappers for single discs. If I ever spill a drink on one, I might change my opinion.
I'm down for Citizen Kane and Dr. Zhivago even if they are served in a plain brown paper bag with a side of fries.
biggrin.gif

------------------
RainHTFpic.jpg

"People always clap for the wrong things." - J.D. Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye
Anyone in the Vancouver, BC area interested in meeting up? If so, click here.
Please sign the online petition against Warner Brothers' recent non-OAR releases. Click here.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
It's interesting
Someone ought to ask Warner at the chat - If they listened to the public about liking P+S on Family DVD - why not listen to the public about Snappers?
very interesting...

Sarah S

Second Unit
Warner listens to what it wants to. Besides, not enough people are willing to take a stand against snappers the way that they have taken a stand aginst Willy Wonka.
OAR counts for more than the packaging anyway, IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks