What's new

Circuit City CD rack (1 Viewer)

Nathan Stohler

Second Unit
Real Name
Nathan Stohler
Wow. I will never look for a CD again at Circuit City. I had heard that Circuit City carried SACD/DVD-A, so I thought I'd go take a look. The SACD and DVD-A titles were mixed in with all the other music, which is not that bad.

However, the CDs were in pseudo-alphabetical order, at best (A's grouped together, B's grouped together, but that's it). Selection was pretty poor, and there weren't even dividers to group the artists.

Are all Circuit City stores notorious for having disastrous CD racks, or is this an exception?

Although you can't always find what you want at Best Buy, at least you don't have to look long before determining that they don't have what you're looking for.

Scott_lb

Supporting Actor
I cannot stand shopping at Circuit City for any sort of software. I recently went in there to pick up an Xbox game and saw many titles that should be currently priced under ($20.00) for $49.99 (the first Buffy game, for example). Sure, they can price their products however they want, but how can they expect to stay competitive price-wise? I mean really, how many people who buy games and other types of software don't know how much it should sell for? In a similar experience, I was at a new game store attached to a Hollywood Video yesterday. They were selling the new "Colin McRae 04" Xbox game (MSRP $19.99) for $49.99. They had a few other titles going for $39.99 or $49.99 that have been under twenty bucks for some time now.

gregD

Second Unit
CC and BB sell refrigerators...

That should tell you something about your chances of finding music with good selections and good prices.

Support your local music retailer... if you're near a college town, there should be good one there... or if that's not an option, there's always (ughhh) Tower or Amazon.

AricB

Second Unit
If your in Plainfield, the BB at Fox Valley is one of the better ones I've been too for DVD_A and Sacd, but not the best. I've heard the Sam Goody has a very good selection inside the mall, but its much more expensive.

Neil White

Supporting Actor
I find BB tolerable for CDs and DVD-A. Seperately racked and good selection. In fact, my local BB has a pretty darn good CD selection. I find Fry's is pretty good too. But CC, forget it. Never have found hi-rez in there and now I know why...had no clue they are mixed-in with the CDs.

N

Nathan Stohler

Second Unit
Real Name
Nathan Stohler
Aric,

The Best Buy at Fox Valley is usually the one I go to. It looks like they improved their DVD-A/SACD selection a little, but the one in Downers Grove seemed a little better.

Still though, it seems online is the way to go if you want price and selection. However, there's something to be said for instant gratification :)

At the Best Buy stores around here, SACD and DVD-A titles are going for around $18 or $19, which seems kind of high to me. I ordered a bunch from deepdiscountdvd.com for around $12 or $13 each.

--Nathan

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
This is the same reason I rarely buy DVDs at CC. My local store stocks TVonDVD in categories based on content, i.e. "Gilligan's Island" in Comedy or "X-Files" in Sci-fi rather than grouping all of them together in a TV category...that's alot of DVDs to sift through!

AricB

Second Unit
Nathan, yes I have been to the DG store, and it is a little better, but I dont get that way much. I do the online thing too. I work near the Contryside/LaGrange BB, and its pretty lousy for dvda and sacd. but its not nearly the high traffic store the other 2 are. I havent tried deepdiscout yet, but have been to the sight. I recently got some from amazon, both DTS/DVDA discs and they were $4-5 cheaper than BB online. I think you can order from circuit city online, and their prices are decent. their online prices are cheaper than in store but they will price match their website. I was able to get miles davis kind of blue, bob dylan blonde on blonde and bowie's heathen for 13.99 or 14.99 each, but they had a meager selection besides those.

Paul_Medenwaldt

Supporting Actor

As far as I know CC stopped selling appliances about 4 years.

The DVD-A and SACD setup at the CC's around me are seperate from each other. They have a DVD-A setup, usually with some Pioneer equipment to show off the format. Then they have a seperate SACD setup with Sony equpment and Bose speakers.

The selection of either format at CC is pretty bad. BB does a better job at stocking either format.

Paul

God Bless Newbury Comics! If you're in the Boston/New England area there's nothing better. There CDs are generally about a dollar higher than BB and CC but the service and SELECTION is top notch, especially the main store on Newbury Street.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks