What's new

Cinerama 3-strip travelogues to be released on Blu-ray in 2012? (1 Viewer)

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Click on the link below:
http://www.in70mm.com/news/2011/cinerama/index.htm
Roland Lataille
Cinerama web site:
http://cineramahistory.com/

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Ooh! I hope so! I got to see HTWWW in Dayton, OH in the late-Nineties in Cinerama. My father had talked about Cinerama to me for years, so I was thrilled to be able to see it in all its glory. It was amazing!
By sheer coincidence, I was just watching CINERAMA ADVENTURE yesterday. Yay!

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
Yeah... I made the pilgramage to Dayton myself to see THIS IS CINERAMA and HOW THE WEST WAS WON. Glad we will get to see these in a restored form.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
I saw HTWWW twice, but wasn't ever able to make it up to see THIS IS CINERAMA. I wish I had.

montrealfilmguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ben Weaver
This is wonderful hopeful news
I think that Cinerama holiday sort got lost in the shuffle since Cinemascope had taken over for about a year.
I'd particularly like to see that one.
I cant think of a better window to the 1950's compared to a fiction film with major stars.
Just regular folks.Wow.
That guy on the far left seems to be quite smitten with the lovely lady on the far right.:)

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
One of the few times in my life that I can remember there being any advantage to actually living in Dayton OH was during the Cinerama revival. Got to see everything they showed...often. :)

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Jim*Tod said:
Yeah... I made the pilgramage to Dayton myself to see THIS IS CINERAMA and HOW THE WEST WAS WON. Glad we will get to see these in a restored form.
I flew from Connecticut to Dayton to see THIS IS CINERAMA and HOW THE WEST WAS WON. First and only time seeing them in Cinerama.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I'm excited reading about these developments, but I wish Warners was working on restoring The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm. In chats and other places, they've always claimed it was in dire shape. Is it too far gone to fix, do they have access to true Cinerama elements, etc.? It would be a shame to see this relegated to the Archive in that old brown reduction print.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
MattH. said:
I'm excited reading about these developments, but I wish Warners was working on restoring The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm. In chats and other places, they've always claimed it was in dire shape. Is it too far gone to fix, do they have access to true Cinerama elements, etc.? It would be a shame to see this relegated to the Archive in that old brown reduction print.
It was asked in the Warner Archive Facebook, and this was the response:
WAC won't release "Grimm" exactly because the only way to release IS to release it as we did HTWWW, which was a multi-million dollar restoration initiative. No plans are underway for this at the moment, but is possible this might become a Blu-ray event a few years down the line when the market could better support such a costly endeavor.
So the WAC does not want the film to be in the WAC because it would be such a large restoration project. Furthermore, it looks encouraging that there is hope it can be restored in the way HTWWW was earlier for a future retail release.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
That's actually the response I wanted to read. Thank you!

The film deserves the same care and consideration as How the West Was Won, and we know if it got dumped in the Archives, it would never get it. Even the chance that it might get it one day is fine. I can live with the DVD-R I burned off a Turner broadcast (which looked slightly better than my laserdisc).

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
MattH. said:
That's actually the response I wanted to read. Thank you!

The film deserves the same care and consideration as How the West Was Won, and we know if it got dumped in the Archives, it would never get it. Even the chance that it might get it one day is fine. I can live with the DVD-R I burned off a Turner broadcast (which looked slightly better than my laserdisc).
Comparison of TCM broadcast of TWWOTBG to the laser disc - http://cineramahistory.com/wwotbgld.htm

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
montrealfilmguy said:
This is wonderful hopeful news
I think that Cinerama holiday sort got lost in the shuffle since Cinemascope had taken over for about a year.
I'd particularly like to see that one.
I cant think of a better window to the 1950's compared to a fiction film with major stars.
Just regular folks.Wow.
That guy on the far left seems to be quite smitten with the lovely lady on the far right.:)
I don't know who the guy is on the far left, but the woman on the far right is Betty Marsh and to the left of her is her husband John Marsh. I have the scrap book for Betty and John for the places they visited during filming of the movie Cinerama Holiday.

montrealfilmguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ben Weaver
Whoa,
so youre the person who bought this off Ebay in 2008 ?
http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/cinerama-holiday-movie-scrapbook-made-by-betty
One hell of a conversation piece for film fans,i take it.
I have to start collecting unique Cinerama stuff too.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by RolandL /t/314648/cinerama-3-strip-travelogues-to-be-released-on-blu-ray-in-2012#post_3849839
I don't know who the guy is on the far left, but the woman on the far right is Betty Marsh and to the left of her is her husband John Marsh. I have the scrap book for Betty and John for the places they visited during filming of the movie Cinerama Holiday.
It would be great if the scrapbook could be used as an extra on the Blu-ray, but I guess that would lessen the value of it. Bad idea-sorry.

However it would be great if they added the program books to the Blu-ray as an extra, either reprint included or on the disc its self.

RCinOttawa

Agent
Real Name
RC
There is a new extensive article on This is Cinerama at:
http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=9433
It mentions the upcoming bluray release.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
ahollis said:

It would be great if the scrapbook could be used as an extra on the Blu-ray, but I guess that would lessen the value of it.  Bad idea-sorry. 
However it would be great if they added the program books to the Blu-ray as an extra, either reprint included or on the disc its self.

Dave Strohmaier might be using parts of the Cinerama Holiday scrapbook for the Blu-ray. Also maybe parts of my press kit for The Golden Head Blu-ray (only promoted in the UK as Cinerama and shown at only one theatre). I guess we will have to wait and see the sales of This is Cinerama and Windjammer Blu-ray's before more titles are released.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks