What's new

Cinema Filter (1 Viewer)

Spottedfeather

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
What exactly does a setting called Cinema Filter do ? In the manual, it says...
Cinema Filter
Turn this setting on to soften overly bright movie soundtracks, which are typically mixed for
reproduction in a movie theater.
What does "soften overly bright movie soundtracks" mean ?

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
"Bright" is a term that usually describes an emphasis on tweeter/high frequencies in a soundtrack. Excessive "brightness" becomes "harsh" to some people.

The filter probably applies some degree of signal processing that "caps" the high end of the frequency response to some degree or another.

Give it a try and see if you like the results.

Generally, though, many of us (myself included) prefer not to use any sort of artificial signal processing or "enhancements" offered by our recievers - instead focusing on reproducing the sound as intended by the sound engineers.

I have fiddled with some DSP (Digital Signal Processing) soundfields when playing concert DVDs - they can add echo and reverb to "simulate" an Arena or Stadium setting. It's interesting, but the novelty wears off quickly, and for the most part, these features NEVER get used on my system any more.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Exactly what JC said...
Try it and see if you like it.
I don't use very many "enhancements" either...but I have golden ears. I can tell a lossless Itune from a CD(been tested blindly numerous times).
It all depends how "prickly" your ears are. If you like CF...use it.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Cinema sound systems tend to be very mid and low-range heavy. If this is an attempt to replicate that, not interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks