What's new

Cinderella Man gift set recalled? (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i know of at least two up on, ... well you know were.

Roger Mathus

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Mathus
Does anyone know the exact status of this 2-disc Collectors Edition? Was it really recalled? Why is it that people only seem to be finding it at Best Buy? Is this some sort of Best Buy exclusive? There seem to be some strange circumstances surrounding this release. Whay gives????

Bob clamer

Supporting Actor
I know that Best Buy has is. That is where I got mine. There are quite a few online retailers that have it. Check out DVDPricesearch.com. Only one I see that DOES NOT have it is Amazon.com but there are some thru the Amazon.com Marketplace for sale but more expensive. Hope this helps.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
No help to you, but definitely not a BB exclusive. Wal-Mart here has tons of copies, and amazon.ca has it (at a ridiculous price now IMO, but unbelievably it's cheaper than the 1-disc WS...they go looney with prices sometimes.)

Edit: Don't know how it is where you are, but lots of places have been getting the "fancier" releases a bit late up here. Wallyworld has often been 2-4 weeks late, others maybe 2 weeks late. As others have said, production facilities are churning madly at this point.

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
My Wal-Mart had no copies of the 2-disc at all, just the single discs and a 2 disc combo with Beautiful Mind.

I'm still looking around to see if anyone could pick this one up for me. I'm tempted to just go for the single disc, but would love the 2-disc. Any help? :)

Ilias_Mas

Grip
I pre-ordered my copy one month earlier at Amazon.com and it was shipped today. They probably had very few copies as well.
Studios shouldn't do that though. Now it has become a "collector's item" and anyone can charge as much as they want to sell it. Universal lose money now, don't they? Oh yes, it's the piracy. How about availability of their products? My guess is that people will be tempted to copy the extra disk from a friend instead of waiting for the title to become available again.
Heck, I may even sell mine if the price goes very high... ;) I bought it at $31,49.

Bob clamer

Supporting Actor
Josh, check out DVDPricesearch.com for that title.

EDIT: WalMart does not carry the 2 disc "Collector's Edition".

DVD Price Check
Barnes & Noble $ 31.48
Amazon $ 31.49
DVD Planet $ 33.71
Digital Eyes $ 35.95
DeepDiscountDVD $ 35.98
DVD Empire $ 34.46
DVD Box Office $ 36.76
Playcentric.com $ 39.32

RyanAn

Screenwriter
So the set is fine to purchase and there will be no recall?

There were plenty of copies at Best Buy and none of the staff heard of a potential recall. "We've had no returns yet..." - About 10 hours after they opened, ;)

Ryan

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
no one ever reported a recall.
it has been noted that is seems to be in short supply/hard to find.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Please tell us, in one of the CM threads, how the DVD-18s are working out. I still feel like I'm taking a chance whenever I buy one, feel like I have to watch the whole thing almost right away in case it's bad. Usually I don't watch discs until a couple weeks after I buy them.

[It's ~US$36 at Wallyworld and HMV here, near the high end, so I'm still on the fence for now. The 1-disc was $17 on release day, will sit on that (unopened) until others here get the set at hopefully cheaper.]

PatH

Second Unit
So what exactly are the differences between the gift set and the other release? The back of the gift box lists some and then says "plus more". Not helpful. Both DVDs appear to have footage of the Braddock-Baer fight but is one different from the other. The descriptions on the two boxes are different. Any help would be appreciated. I am not, by the way referring to the booklet and photo cards. Those are only in the gift set. Thanks!

PatH

Bob clamer

Supporting Actor
Pat, hope this helps:

R1 America - (Universal Pictures)
SIDE A
*The Film
Audio Commentary with director Ron Howard
Audio Commentary with writer Akiva Goldsman
Audio Commmentary with writer Cliff Hollingsworth
SIDE B
Deleted Scenes (w/commentary)
"The Fight Card: Casting 'Cinderella Man'" featurette
"The Man, The Movie, The Legend: A Filmmaking Journey" featurette
"For The Record: A History In Boxing" featurette
"Ringside Seats" featurette
"Jim Braddock: The Friends and Family Behind The Legend" featurette
Photo Gallery
DVD-ROM Features Subtitles:English, French and SpanishPicture format:2.35:1 Anamorphic NTSC Soundtrack(s):English Dolby Digital 5.1
French Dolby Digital 5.1
English Audio Descriptive Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround Case type:Amaray (Keep) CaseNotes:Released December 6th, 2005.

R1 CE America - (Universal Pictures) Extras: DISC ONE
SIDE A
*The Film
Audio Commentary with director Ron Howard
Audio Commentary with writer Akiva Goldsman
Audio Commmentary with writer Cliff Hollingsworth
SIDE B
Deleted Scenes (w/optional commentary)
"The Fight Card: Casting 'Cinderella Man'" featurette
"The Man, The Movie, The Legend: A Filmmaking Journey" featurette
"For The Record: A History In Boxing" featurette
"Ringside Seats" featurette
"Jim Braddock: The Friends and Family Behind The Legend" featurette
Photo Gallery
DVD-ROM Features

DISC TWO
Additional Deleted Scenes (w/optional commentary)
"Russell Crowe's Personal Journey: Becoming Jim Braddock" featurette
"Pre-Fight Preperations" featurettes:
- Focus On Script
- Creating The Reality
- Russell's Transformation
- Inflatable People
"Lights, Camera, Action: The Fight From Every Angle" multi-angle feature
Braddock vs. Baer Fight Footage
"The Sound Of The Bell" featurette
"'Cinderella Man' Music" featurette
"The Human Face Of Depression" featurette
Photo MontageSubtitles:English, French and SpanishPicture format:2.35:1 Anamorphic NTSC Soundtrack(s):English Dolby Digital 5.1
French Dolby Digital 5.1
English Audio Descriptive Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround Case type:Amaray (Keep) CaseNotes:Released December 6th, 2005.

DanFe

Second Unit
My single disc editions skips at least twice at the layer change. Crappy Universal.:angry:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks