1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Cinderella Man gift set recalled?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by donnie_d, Dec 2, 2005.

1. donnie_d

donnie_d Well-Known Member

i dunno if you guys noticed this already but many online retailers are reporting that the Cinderella Man gift set is no longer available.i would post links but i can't since iam still behind 15 posts.but you can check amazon.com or B&N website to make sure.

so you guys have any clue?[​IMG]

2. Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson Well-Known Member

Maybe because the discs don't play. That seems to be a problem with Universal. It would be news if they admitted to it, and did something about it.

3. David (C)

David (C) Well-Known Member

My guess for the recall is Universal wants to sell the (Gift Edition) of Cinderella Man after the award session.

4. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    I'm asking around... it would be good to know for sure before I post a review of it.

- Steve

5. Dane Marvin

Dane Marvin Well-Known Member

Damn it. That's the one I wanted. Don't want to have to wait until after awards season to get it.

6. Harold Wazzu

Harold Wazzu Well-Known Member

ME TOO!!! GRRRRRR

Maybe a few will slip through the cracks, will be at BB right when they open just in case.

7. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?

Tony D.
    still up preorder at deepdiscount, dvdempire, and dvdplanet.
    whether it ships is a different story.

8. donnie_d

donnie_d Well-Known Member

do you a copy of the gift set,steve?

9. Travis Brashear

Travis Brashear Well-Known Member

This same thing happened with THE BIG LEBOWSKI: Achiever's Edition Gift Set but when DVD-release Tuesday came, all the stores had them; it also happened with THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION: Limited Edition boxed set with book and soundtrack CD and when DVD-release Tuesday came, none of the stores had them. LEBOWSKI and CINDERELLA MAN are both Universal, whereas SHAWSHANK is Warners, so I put the odds 60-40 in our favor that it will come out properly on Tuesday.

10. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill
    I have a screener, but it is not final product. I am anxious to see how it turns out for sure, but as it stands the extra disc is 2:21 of extra material, and it's good. I am working on the review right now and will post it this afternoon.

As for Lebowski and Shawshank, I found ample quantities of both in store. The swag in the Lebowski box did nothing for me, but I picked up a couple of Shawshank.

I suspect that production capacity is just about maxed out this time of year, and that select titles--including this Cinderella Man limited edition--are being short-shipped. That would account for Amazon not putting it up for sale, if they don't have enough on-hand, or if their wholesale order was not fulfilled.

- Steve

11. Greg Krewet

Greg Krewet Well-Known Member

The 2 disc edition is listed in the Sunday Flyers for Best Buy and Circuit City in addition to the reguler edition. So there should be plenty to go around even at that high price which is almost double the cost for the single disc set.
    Best
    Greg

12. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?

Tony D.
  13. Travis Brashear

Originally posted by Steve Tannehill:
    As for Lebowski and Shawshank, I found ample quantities of both in store.

I thought it was common knowledge that the Limited Edition of THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION was cancelled the week of release (similar to what happened with the original version of the BATMAN BEGINS: Deluxe Edition with comic book), so if you found one the week of release, great, so did I, because of whatever the retailers managed to receive before the axe came down, but it was allegedly nigh impossible to find anywhere after that first week and hasn't been made available for reorder since.

14. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill
    Shawshank may have been limited to what was in-store, but I found a stash and as I recall it was not even the first week of release. And yes, I am talking about the one with the BFI Modern Classics book. And I even bought two of them...

- Steve

15. Travis Brashear

I'm not sure what we're hashing out here--are you arguing that THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION: Limited Edition was in ample supply for the majority of Region 1 consumers after the first week of release, or just explaining your uncustomary good fortune finding the title?

16. Johnny G

Johnny G Well-Known Member

Looks like the rumors are true.

DVD Pacific are pretty good at removing something from their site quickly when there's none to be had & guess what...

...it's been removed from their site!

17. CraigF

CraigF Well-Known Member

Craig
    I don't much like the look of the packaging of the discs: that overlapping thing, especially if a DVD-18 is involved. There are better ways of doing this, but none any *cheaper* I suppose. It's not like they're not charging enough...

amazon.ca still has this up, too expensive for me, too much other stuff to get. IIRC their price is comparable to what amazon.com had it up for.

18. Travis Brashear

For anyone left who cares, this title HAS been released (the date of release, here in Tulsa, OK, the southside Best Buy had approximately 25...well, 24 after I was finished), but many people over at another DVD forum I frequent have been less lucky in finding stock at retailers, so if you're interested, you might wanna move quickly on this one.

19. Dane Marvin

Dane Marvin Well-Known Member

There seemed to plenty on hand at the BB in Omaha that I frequent. Glad I got mine!

20. JoshB

JoshB Well-Known Member

Anyone think they can get a copy of the 2-disc for me where they are at? I can't seem to find them anywhere here, and I have been waiting or this set for a long time.

I will pay of course. LMK! [​IMG]