What's new

cigars vs cigs smoke (1 Viewer)

David McGough

Second Unit
Ive started smoking cigars. I have maybe 2 a day.
I used to smoke cigs a few years ago.
How does the 2 tobacco differ. Cigars Id say are alot
stronger. I do inhale a few times.
Anybody have any findings on how they compare.

I know both are killers and are not good for you.
I have just found cigars relaxing and taste good.

David

Leroy

Second Unit
Well, it depends on what kind of cigars you are smoking. Some are very mild, while others can be overpowering.

I don't think I could handle 2 a day (I smoke maybe one a week, and have never been a cig smoker). You've got lungs of steel if you inhale cigar smoke, some of them are just too strong!

Here's a small blurb with some info:

StephenA

Screenwriter
I can say that out of the 3, I've always liked the smell of pipe tobacco. I can stand cigarette smoke, but have always hated cigar smoke. I don't know what it is about pipe tobacco that makes it smell good to me.

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
I have read that it's useless to inhale from a cigar. There is something about the chemical properties that makes it's ph level equivalent to that inside your mouth. That is why they say let the smoke float around your mouth because that is how you will get the most "intoxicating" effect.
Cigarettes on the other hand match the ph levels inside your lungs which is why you inhale them.

Not sure about pipe tobacco though.

*edit* I just re-read Leroy's quote which pretty much says the same thing...oops. :b

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Huge cigar fan here. Almost (I said almost) nothing beats a good cigar and good micro-brew. Some of my favorite smokes are;

Ashton
La Gloria Cubana
Hoyo de Monterrey Excalibur
Punch
Romeo y Juliet
Partagas
AVO XO
Padron
Davidoff

...to list a few. Mainly, the darker Maduro Smokes are what I prefer, the stronger, the better. I never inhale, just let the smoke linger. I enjoy about 1 a week or less, usually just on the weekends out front by the fire pit. Or, when over at Disneyland. Love hanging out there with a beer and cigar at the Grand CA Hotel.

Chris Knox

Stunt Coordinator
Cigar smoke is intended to be brought into your mouth where it sits on your pallette then blown out without ever being inhaled. You get the 'high' when the drug enters your saliva glands and is processed throughout your body from your mouth as opposed to your lungs. A cigar smoked properly should never give you lung cancer (although mouth cancer is no picnic, I'm sure).

Those who inhale cigars generally only inhale about a fraction of the smoke and this is primarily because of a throw back of when they smoked cigarettes. I do not recommend inhaling cigars, yet I know there are those that do. A standard 48 ring gauge cigar about six inches long contains the tobacco equivalent of more than a pack of cigarettes. Plus this tobacco is not processed the way cigarette tobacco is processed and there are no filters. I imagine you'd die of lung cancer smoking cigars the way you smoke cigarettes about twenty times as fast (speculation on my part here--the Surgeon General, I isn't).

Cigars with natural wrappers are generally milder and they go all the way up to maduro wrappers which are very strong. about 80% or more of the cigars flavor comes from the wrapper itself.

For some reason, maduro cigars make me sick almost everytime I smoke them, and I've been smoking for years (not inhaling). I prefer the natural or Conneticut wrappers.

Pipe smoke is treated to smell the way it does (unless you are smoking just plain tobacco in your pipe). I do not know the origin of this as a rule or how far back it goes.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
A buddy of mine was a die-hard smoker, and took up pipe smoking in our last year in college -- yes, can you imagine a college boy puffing on a pipe? :D

Late at nights when we were cramming in our respective rooms, he'd often sit on the couch in the corridor outside my room and light up to take a break, and even if I hadn't heard him, I'd smell the smoke and step out for a chat. Good times...

(And in case anyone comments about smoking indoors, our rooms opened to an open-air corridor, so it was actually "outdoors".)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks