What's new

Chuck - Season 5 (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Jeffery_H said:
Only for some did it have a "proper ending", others like myself feel very strongly the opposite. The problem is most people posting on this site are the same people and a small sample so they tend to not show different view points. If you look at other fan sites and places with a lot more traffic like Twitter and Facebook, there are many that are split on how the show ended as well.
Opinion is certainly split as to whether it was a good ending or not. I can certainly understand your stance and why you didn't like the ending. What I meant is that the show went out on its own terms. This ending was not forced on the creators by a last minute cancellation. All of the story lines were wrapped up, all of the characters sent off to do something different. Any reunion movies would be a bonus tack-on with these characters, not something crucial to resolving the story. More like "Mary and Rhoda" was to the "The Mary Tyler Moore Show" (although hopefully not as horrid) as opposed to being like Serenity was to "Firefly."
As for Robert Duncan McNeil, I already pointed out the problems I had with this being nothing remotely original and a total rip off from Star Trek and other shows. It feels cheap at best and a lazy cop out for just doing the same old junk over again.
McNeill was an actor on "Voyager" (who directed a few episodes late in its run) and a director on "Chuck". On neither show was he a writer, so I'm not sure why his involvement should be indicative of anything. You need to land a helicopter in the middle of a busy street or shoot a beach scene at sunrise? That's his purview. Putting the words on the page is the responsibility of Josh Schwartz and Chris Fedak, and has been since the pilot. For that matter, McNeill's been with the show since episode two, so if you want to blame him for the stuff you don't like, you've got to credit him with the good stuff too.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Speaking of Voyager and Finales. That finale rates as one of the most disappointing finales in my book. Unlike the other Trek shows. Voyager was a show that NEEDED a finale with closure. They spend 7 seasons trying to get home. They finale get to Earth and cue the credits. What the?!?....You had all of these characters who weren't just going to go home and being back to normal. You had... -A former human Borg. -You had a sentient hologram. -You had a disgraced Starfleet officer who married a half-Klingon. -You had dozens of Maquis (Some former Starfleet) who come home to find the Dominion War has changed the whole component of their fight. They should have had Voyager return home with 4 to 6 episodes left. And spent those last few episodes showing the ramifications of their 7yr absence. To a lesser degree Star Trek:Enterprise did the same thing. The show was supposed to be about the formation of the Federation. But, Brannon & Braga spent the first few seasons basically ignoring it. It was until the last season they really showed how the Federation started. Then in finale(Braga came back at took over for it) instead of focusing on the Founding. They brought back Riker & Troi and did flashbacks that showed very little. So back on topic. I was generally happy with the "Chuck" finale. I just felt cheated in the fact that they took away the most important part of what the show was about. How a hard nosed-cold spy could fall for a geeky computer nerd. Like I said before. I thought it would have been perfect for the show that when Chuck kisses her....She regains her memories...But, in a flash way like from the intersect.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Finally got around to watching the final 2 episodes, and thought it was a very nice way to close out the series, as all the characters start the new chapter in their lives, as they go their separate ways. I would say, one of the better series finales, where I came away with not only closure, but also feeling sadness because there are no more.

A part of me wanted Sarah to get her memories back, but I was kind of glad that they did not go down that way, for reasons already mentioned.

Too bad that we did not see a T2 reunion on the show (at least I don't recall Big Mike and Mary shared any scenes together).

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Haven't read any of this thread so don't bash me, but I don't think I've ever known a show to be so completely off my radar. Literally thought this was cancelled after the first season. Thought it was pretty decent, but never, ever heard about it contiuing, only to now find out I've missed four seasons? I don't live under a rock, but this must have had terrible publicity. Never, ever knew it was still on until I started to come across stories of this being the last season.. Oh well, hopefully a BluRay/DVD set in the future.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Can't bash you for not knowing something, but you missed some epic "Save Chuck" campaigns. Oh, the Subway sandwiches I have eaten. . . .

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Thenks for the reply. I'm usually familiar with shows, but wow did this one pass me by. Having run for five years it had to be pretty good, so I'll get the DVD, stream it, or whatever it takes to watch it. Thanks again

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor
todd s said:
Speaking of Voyager and Finales. That finale rates as one of the most disappointing finales in my book. Unlike the other Trek shows. Voyager was a show that NEEDED a finale with closure. They spend 7 seasons trying to get home. They finale get to Earth and cue the credits. What the?!?....You had all of these characters who weren't just going to go home and being back to normal. You had... -A former human Borg. -You had a sentient hologram. -You had a disgraced Starfleet officer who married a half-Klingon. -You had dozens of Maquis (Some former Starfleet) who come home to find the Dominion War has changed the whole component of their fight. They should have had Voyager return home with 4 to 6 episodes left. And spent those last few episodes showing the ramifications of their 7yr absence. To a lesser degree Star Trek:Enterprise did the same thing. The show was supposed to be about the formation of the Federation. But, Brannon & Braga spent the first few seasons basically ignoring it. It was until the last season they really showed how the Federation started. Then in finale(Braga came back at took over for it) instead of focusing on the Founding. They brought back Riker & Troi and did flashbacks that showed very little. So back on topic. I was generally happy with the "Chuck" finale. I just felt cheated in the fact that they took away the most important part of what the show was about. How a hard nosed-cold spy could fall for a geeky computer nerd. Like I said before. I thought it would have been perfect for the show that when Chuck kisses her....She regains her memories...But, in a flash way like from the intersect.
Not to turn this into a Voyager thread, but since you mentioned it I wanted to reply with my thoughts. Mainly, we are sort of opposites in terms of series finales for Voyager VS Chuck. I totally HATED the Chuck ending just as I did with Heroes and Smallville. For me, the first season of Heroes was the only good show and the last season of Smallville was complete trash due to their politics they brought into the show which ruined it for me. Back to Voyager, you wanted to know about the following: -A former human Borg. Already adapted to humanity and is continuing to gain more as time goes on. By the end, she was mostly a fully realized individual that had accepted her parents were gone as she knew them and basically dead. The Doctor helped her with humor, love, etc. and she clearly showed emotions by the end and was a full member of the crew ready for life as a human/borg. She even started a relationship during the final 2 hour show. Her character was done and life went on for her living as she wanted. -You had a sentient hologram. Well, as close to one as you can get. They addressed this in the last 2 hours where the Doctor was talking to Tom in the future about his relationship/marriage with a real human. He had a family before then when he was stuck on the planet where time went by really fast compared to normal space like ours and that was what he really wanted as we saw several times in his holodeck programs. The Doctor was living his life now complete as a real person. -You had a disgraced Starfleet officer who married a half-Klingon. Wrong, he WAS disgraced, but he had earned his way back and became one of the best and most trust worth members of the crew despite past aggressions. He had settled down and taken a mate that was more than his equal in personality to hold her own. They even started a family at the end so life went on there too for them. Also, don't forget Star Fleet had been in contact with Voyager for some time before returning to Earth and Tom's Dad knew all this and was now quite proud of the man he had become. -You had dozens of Maquis (Some former Starfleet) who come home to find the Dominion War has changed the whole component of their fight. Again, they learned this some time ago in the Delta quadrant, not just returning home. This was addressed to in several shows where B'Lana and others found out the Marquis was all gone now and so were their former friends. They had moved on though, almost certain they would not reach home within their life time. They also addressed the fact of returning home with the merged crew since all of them had been Starfleet for years in order to survive together. During one of their communications with Star Fleet using the array, they even asked about what happened to the Marquis and Janeway said she never gave it any consideration but was going to address it in her reply. We did not see this, but going by their other communications it was assumed they knew before returning home all about the crew and how well they have come together, waving any issues there due to their service under Janeway. These were mostly, if not entirely addressed already in the show. See above for notes on them.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
Holy necro-thread!

Yep, bumped it because I'm actually revisiting this on Amazon Prime (it was just added for anyone else interested). Loved it back when it first aired and looking forward to going through the seasons again.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
The more competent Chuck became at his job the less I enjoyed the show. I was not a fan of when they made Morgan into a Season 1 Chuck nor was I a fan of Sarah losing her memory. I just didn't like the direction they took the show. I think it is important for charcters to grow as a series moves on. I just didn't like how they did this with Chuck. To me they should have ended the show at season 4.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
Yeah I'm a fan of the earlier seasons as well. I started season 1 yesterday. I forgot how much fun those early seasons are. Plus Yvonne Strzechowski and Sarah Lancaster are just so gorgeous in this.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
I wish. I'm just excited all the seasons were added to Amazon Prime Streaming.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks