What's new

"Chuck" Season 3 (1 Viewer)

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Originally Posted by Keith Plucker
I have to admit, I don't recall ever hearing about her before. I picked up the song from Itunes and will definitely be looking into her other stuff.
She was a pretty famous jazz singer. Arguably her most famous song (actually a cover), "Sinnerman," figures prominantly in the remake of "The Thomas Crown Affair" during the big chase scene (and also in the movie "Cellular," and a bunch of other movies and TV show episodes).

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
"Sinnerman" is a traditional gospel/folk song that probably dates back to the early part of the century, if not earlier, and has been sung with a number of variant lyrics. The Weavers did a recording of it in the 1950s that "froze" the song and became the standard version that other artists, including Simone, drew on. One version adds the stars to the entities the sinner begs to hide him

Run to the stars. Stars, won't you hide me?Run to the stars. Stars, won't you hide me?Run to the stars. Stars, won't you hide me? All on that day. Lord said, "The stars, stars will be freezing."Lord said, "The stars, stars will be freezing."Lord said, "The stars, stars will be freezing." All on that day.

(In this version the sun is burning, not freezing, "all on that day.") This version of the song inspired SF author and editor Ben Bova to write one of the classic short stories of the genre, "Stars Won't You Hide Me?", which is featured in a number of anthologies, including Bova's own Future Crime and Rod Serling's Devils and Demons, both of which are out of print. The 1967 Serling collection is available used through Amazon.com. Regards, Joe

cajunhillbilly

Screenwriter
Real Name
Willard
Originally Posted by mattCR

LOVED the reference to Hart to Hart, a show I think I referenced way earlier in the season as a potential role model..
Loved the reference to Hart to Hart as well. Loved that show when it was on.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
I'm pretty sure Strahovski has never looked hotter than in that scene in the kitchen with Morgan. And that's really saying something.

Nice that they simultaneously remembered they were employing one of the hottest women in Hollywood, and decided to let her character be something besides a cipher for fantasy-crushes. She had better lines and a more distinct perspective than in any other previous episode, and the show was much better for it.

Loved the serious turn at the end of the episode. Next week's looks good, too.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Originally Posted by Joseph DeMartino

"Sinnerman" is a traditional gospel/folk song that probably dates back to the early part of the century, if not earlier, and has been sung with a number of variant lyrics. The Weavers did a recording of it in the 1950s that "froze" the song and became the standard version that other artists, including Simone, drew on.
Yup. The Weavers' version has all-but-vanished, and Simone's cover is pretty much considered the definitive recording. Her version of "Feeling Good," also a cover (this time from a musical), is great, but I honestly prefer my countryman, Michael Bublé's version. You can watch the official (James Bond-eqsue) video here. I just prefer the groove to it more than the Simone version.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Also, did this show actually run almost three full seasons before the producers finally cast Udo Kier in a Eurotrash-villain role?

Like...what the fuck, man? Seriously, that guy should've been a package-deal with a show like this.

Michael Harris

Screenwriter
One thing I really liked was the back and forth between Chuck and Sarah - both the glances and the dialogue. They were really clicking as a couple.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Pedestrian, stand alone episode.

Bound to happen after the emotional intensity of the last dozen episodes and the payoff episode last week. On paper it sounds great. Fred Willard and Swooshie Kurtz as Chuck and Sarah 30 years down the road should have been comedy gold. But it was not. Boring bickering is all they provided.

Plus any episode with a tiger should get the adrenaline flowing but this turned out to be one toothless tabby.

The Hart to Hart opening was awesome and the Casey/Morgan stuff was good. Until Casey 'passed' Morgan. Dumb.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
The one thing that bothered me is that I was getting signals from Sarah that she was second-thinking this whole thing, at least until she decided to move in. It always seems to happen on TV. They are both into the pursuit, but then once the pursuit is over, one of the pair is already regretting it and looking for a way out. I hope they don't go that route with C&S (and I feel like a fangirl shorting it like that--I feel the sudden urge to sit down and make a C&S music video for YouTube). Tension in a relationship is fine, but don't keep breaking them apart over and over again. If the writers want an example, look to Ellie and Awesome. That was a great relationship even before the marriage.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
Originally Posted by joshEH

I'm pretty sure Strahovski has never looked hotter than in that scene in the kitchen with Morgan. And that's really saying something.
The exact length of her babydoll and the first-person-ish slightly downward camera angle sold the illusion that she might not be wearing anything else. (We can see that she was when she walked away.) Well played, show.

Not as well done: those scenes in DR Congo, on what must have been a really overcast day. It was like an episode of MASH.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Great episode tonight. Firing all cylinders as each aspect of the show received equal treatment - comedy, drama, action, spy drama, and romance. Christopher Lloyd surprised by giving a carefully controlled performance needed to get his patients to say the important things.

Chuck's subconsciousness merging with the Intersect is an intriguing concept and will be interesting to see how it plays out. Love the way Ellie is being brought into the spy world via the Ring. This could lead to a powerful showdown between Chuck and Ellie.

As for Shaw - is he dead? Or is he alive?

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Though we're started to border on Johny Mnemonic area... (hopefully spelling is close).. I kept thinking of Keanu Reeves getting bad dreams and messages wash up into his brain and try to channel them to a dolphin or something.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I'm a little disappointed that Awesome and Ellie were in and out of Africa so quickly--their situation could have required the team to travel over there--but it was a good episode. If they move towards having Ellie know, as it seems they are doing, I'm a little torn. The only people out of the loop will be the Buy More employees. Still, episodes revolving around keeping Ellie in the dark might get old. I'm open to whatever they're doing here.

Haven't seen Freddie "Boom Boom" Washington in a while.

It was a little strange having Chuck name Chevy Chase in the episode. That means the actor exists in that universe and nobody said, "Man, Ted Roark looks a little like Chevy Chase!"

I thought Ellie looked really good tonight. Also, it's kind of a shame that a girl as hot as Sarah has to sleep under a giant Y: The Last Man cover repro (or it's awesome, depending on your point of view).

I wonder if we'll be seeing Shaw before the season finale, or if he's slated to return in a possible season four. I think we all knew his survival was a distinct possibility, and I think Chuck's dream insight is going to be correct. I was also thinking of guests I'd like to see next season--definitely Terry O'Quinn now that he's available. Thought of some more, but I can't remember right now.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Originally Posted by Greg_S_H

Similar thing happened on FlashForward, where Dominic Monaghan mentioned Orlando Bloom and Black Hawk Down, which of course means Orlando Bloom exists, and starred in LOTR with Dominic Monaghan :)

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
NBC renews CHUCK for a 4th Season!

Initial order is for 13 episodes. Sounds like the show will be in the fall this time instead of midseason but this has not been confirmed.

Great to know the S3 finale can be watched and not have to worry if there is a cliffhanger that might never be paid off.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks