What's new

Christopher Nolan's next flick "Inception"... (1 Viewer)

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Originally Posted by mattCR

Holy crap. They showed a 2minute trailer as a sponsor during the premiere of "Rescue Me". This had a very "Dark City" kind of vibe to it. What they showed looked.. awesome. I had barely heard of this, but that was one of the best trailers I've seen for anything this summer.

Next to Toy Story this is the summer movie I've been looking forward to the most. It looks like it'll be a trip and the trailer we saw tonight did a good job giving you some idea of what it's about without giving it all away.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
If I end up loving this as much as I love Dark City, that is very good news indeed (DC is one of my all-time favorites).

Nolan has yet to disappoint me. As DavidJ says, beside TS3 this has been my most anticipated movie of the summer.

Originally Posted by mattCR This had a very "Dark City" kind of vibe to it. What they showed looked.. awesome.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
I'm really looking fiorward to this one - Snippets from Variety's review.
If movies are shared dreams, then Christopher Nolan is surely one of Hollywood's most inventive dreamers, given the evidence of his commandingly clever "Inception." Applying a vivid sense of procedural detail to a fiendishly intricate yarn set in the labyrinth of the subconscious, the writer-director has devised a heist thriller for surrealists, a Jungian's "Rififi," that challenges viewers to sift through multiple layers of (un)reality. As such, it's a conceptual tour de force unlikely to rank with Batman at the B.O., though post-"Dark Knight" anticipation and Leonardo DiCaprio should still position it as one of the summer's hottest, classiest tickets.
Supporting roles are thinly written but memorably inhabited: Gordon-Levitt cuts a dashing figure; Hardy tears into his smartass supporting role with lip-smacking gusto; Watanabe brings elegance and gravity to his corporate raider; and Murphy plays the unsuspecting dreamer with poignant reserve. Page's repartee with DiCaprio could have been sharper in places, but the appealingly plucky actress makes Ariadne an ideal stand-in for the viewer. Shot across four continents by Nolan's regular d.p., Wally Pfister, and outfitted by production designer Guy Hendrix Dyas, "Inception" is easily the director's most visually unbridled work; its canvas stretches from the skyscrapers of Tokyo to the bazaars of Tangiers, from an amber-lit hotel corridor to a snowy mountain compound (a setpiece that plays like an homage to "On Her Majesty's Secret Service"). Pic has arresting effects and images to spare, such as the sight of Paris folding in on itself like a book or Gordon-Levitt's Arthur performing a fight scene in zero gravity (the explanation for which is even more dazzling).
http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117943114.html?categoryId=31&cs=1 And more here -
When it opens July 16, this eye-popping film will wow moviegoers all over the world—its complexities will only encourage debate and repeat viewings—and should also score well with critics and year-end awards groups. Oscar nominations in technical categories are a certainty, but Inception is also a strong contender for multiple nominations, including Best Picture. […] As intricate as the script is — Nolan worked on it for a decade — the movie is not just a feat of cinematic wizardry, even though it comes close to the level of technological derring-do carried off by the likes of Stanley Kubrick.
Real or Fake?: Real. That’s Anne Thompson in her Indiewire review, titled, “Nolan Delievers Kubrickian Masterpiece with Heart.”
http://www.movieline.com/2010/07/whats-real-whats-fake-take-movelines-inception-hyperbole-quiz.php

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor
If the trailer is any indication (and I pray that it is), this looks to be a visually STUNNING movie. That scene in the trailer where the city is literally rolling up like paper...jaw dropping effect. I am really looking forward to seeing this!

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
AICN very positive review.

A breakdown of the story is included but no real spoilers.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/45679

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Yeah, I'm reading "masterpiece" in a lot of places. I'm very excited for the film. This summer needs a non-Pixar kick to the keister.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
I'm with Steve. I'm trying to lower my expectations a bit and Chuck's not helping.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I'm not saying that it is a masterpiece (eye of the beholder and all that). It could be a shitburger for all I know.

But I'm not lowering expectations. Nolan, deliver the goods, blow me away, whatever. But high expectations are the cross you must bear.

I'm tired of saying it was better than expected, but I expected crap

There is nothing better than highly anticipating a film, and it being better than you hoped. So I am banking on this one.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I totally agree with you Chuck. I like going into a film and thinking it will be good. I never let myself think "it's a masterpiece" but I like going in and thinking: I expect this to be very good.

I expected TS3 to be very good and it delivered. I have every expectation for Inception to be Very Good. And if it's better then Very Good, I'm bowled over. But I won't lower my expectations when every single early review I'm reading is of the jaw-dropping variety.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
I posted this in the Bond thread but it fits in here too -
Christopher Nolan has told the BBC that, to him, James Bond is one of the great characters in contemporary fiction. Speaking before last night’s world premiere of his much anticipated Inception in London, Nolan said that 007 is a huge influence on his mental heist thriller. “I’ve loved the Bond films since I was a kid. For me, they’re always about the expansiveness of cinema. The first Bond films set up infinite possibilities about the world they create. I’d love to do a Bond film.” Nolan also told the BBC that the James Bond movies had a strong influence on his new movie Inception, whose marketing campaign describes the pic as "James Bond meets The Matrix". "The Bond influence on the film was very intentional because, for me, growing up with the Bond films -- they've always stood for grand-scale action," said Nolan who helmed The Dark Knight and Batman Begins. Like the Bond films, Inception was shot in various locations around the globe including Morocco, France, Japan and Canada. Nolan said the Bond films had always "stood for the promise of being taken to some place bigger than you could have imagined" and added: "In dealing with the human mind and dreams, my mind naturally gravitates towards the Bond films as that sort of expression of cinematic potential. By the end of the film you feel that Inception could go anywhere and do anything."
Link includes video of the London premiere of Inception - http://www.deadline.com/2010/07/nolan-says-hed-love-to-do-bond/

ScottJH

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scott
Trying to decide if to see it in IMAX or not. Are there scenes shot in IMAX like the Dark Knight? I see 65mm is listed above in the specs from IMDB.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks