What's new

Christmas movies and TV episodes (1 Viewer)

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I decided tonight was the night to wind things up with series TV Christmas episodes. What I do the rest of the way will be movies, specials and maybe a second-go for some of the ones I have seen (the big ones).

Dragnet-50s version of the Christmas Story

Dr. Kildare S1

Dragnet S2

To me these two stories are the best in the lot of Christmas episodes for a regular TV series. And the tragedy is that they could never be made today.

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron
The Polar Express (2004)

The Partridge Family: Don't Bring Your Guns To Town, Santa

Happy Days: Guess Who's Coming To Christmas

Polar has a really good story but I don't care for the style of animation at all, still like the movie.

cajunhillbilly

Screenwriter
Real Name
Willard
This morning I watched:

"The Nativity Story" (2006) Very true to the Bible

"A Christmas Carol" (1994, Jetlag Productions) Not the best version but okay

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron
Elf (2003)

Happy Days: Richie Branches Out

Laverne & Shirley: Oh Hear The Angels Voices

Lois & Clark: The New Adventures Of Superman: 'Twas The Night Before Mxymas

I love Elf, it seems to get better every year.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Tonight it was "Miracle On 34th Street" with the intermittent commentary by Maureen O'Hara who sadly left us this year.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
Oliver Ravencrest said:
Elf (2003)

Happy Days: Richie Branches Out

Laverne & Shirley: Oh Hear The Angels Voices

Lois & Clark: The New Adventures Of Superman: 'Twas The Night Before Mxymas

I love Elf, it seems to get better every year.
I was just shopping in the downtown Vancouver department store (The Bay) that the department store interior scenes for "Elf" were filmed in. It's a real old-fashioned department store building, and still impeccably maintained. Very Christmassy!

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
A few leftover items now that I've gotten in all the major ones:

Twilight Zone S3 (the "Changing of the Guard" episode which while not Christmas themed is set during Christmas and is a great episode)

Kojak S3

"The Stingiest Man In Town" (1978 Rankin-Bass animated show that I had not see since the year it first aired on NBC. I found a YT upload that was about 8% too fast and had unrecognizable voices but used my own software program to fix that so Matthau, Bosley etc. sounded like their old selves!)

"Christmas in Washington-1986" (John Forsythe host; Mac Davis, Sandi Patti, Clamma Dale. Closing remarks by President Reagan).

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Jack P said:
A few leftover items now that I've gotten in all the major ones:

Twilight Zone S3 (the "Changing of the Guard" episode which while not Christmas themed is set during Christmas and is a great episode)

Kojak S3

"The Stingiest Man In Town" (1978 Rankin-Bass animated show that I had not see since the year it first aired on NBC. I found a YT upload that was about 8% too fast and had unrecognizable voices but used my own software program to fix that so Matthau, Bosley etc. sounded like their old selves!)

"Christmas in Washington-1986" (John Forsythe host; Mac Davis, Sandi Patti, Clamma Dale. Closing remarks by President Reagan).
I'd LOVE to see that!

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron
A Christmas Carol (1951)

Married... With Children: It's A Bundyful Life

This is my favourite version of a Christmas Carol, perfectly cast and made. Alastair Sim is great as Scrooge, believable as both mean and redeemed version of the character.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Last night I squeezed in a second viewing of the 1951 "Christmas Carol" with the commentary track that features George Cole (young Scrooge) who died this year. He and Patrick MacNee both left us this year, making them the last from that film that I know of.

Tonight:

"Christmas In Washington-1987" (Barbara Mandrell, Jack Jones, Marilyn McCoo)

"Christmas In Washington-1988" (Jimmy Stewart host; Shirley Jones, Vikki Carr, Gary Morris, Kathleen Battle)

"Seasons Greetings" (1988 Boston Pops Concert; Andy Williams, Reba McEntire, John Candy, Roberta Flack)

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
One final item for tonight is a 1980 episode of William F. Buckley's "Firing Line" program where he interviewed British journalist Malcolm Muggeridge on the subject "How Does One Find Faith?" This program was always repeated at Christmas time for the rest of "Firing Line's" run through 1999.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Oliver Ravencrest said:
Nestor, The Long Eared Christmas Donkey (1977)

Fred Claus (2007)

Nestor is another good Rankin/Bass stop-motion Special. Fred Claus is a good tale about Santa's brother growing up in his shadow and being resentful. Paul Giamatti is really good as Santa.
Watched Nestor tonight, actually for the first time, with my children. It's a hodge podge of Christmas stories: Santa, Cherubs, and Jesus, but it's very moving. I really enjoyed it and it does a good job of conveying essential Christmas themes.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I had a wonderful evening with services and now, I am watching the final items before the day.

"Christmas With Pops" (1990 Boston Pop concerts)

"Christmas With Friends" (1984-This was the Tonight Show Christmas Eve special with music by Doc and the band which first aired in '84 and was repeated every year through the final Carson Christmas in 1991. The seriousness to the meaning of the season with no comedy gimmicks is why it still holds up all these years later.)

"Bah, Humbug!" (1992-PBS special on "Christmas Carol" with dramatic reading excerpts by James Earl Jones and Martin Sheen)

And an encore of the Dragnet Christmas Story.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks