1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Choppy playback from HTPC - all players and file types

Discussion in 'Home Theater PCs' started by erew99, Aug 9, 2013.

1. erew99

erew99 Well-Known Member

Guy
    Hi everyone,
    I recently built a HTPC running Windows 7 and Windows Media Center.

It is connected to my Sony AVR (STRDH520).

The playback I see is choppy. I'm not sure if I need to change anything in Windows 7, such as the hz of the monitor...

The TV is a Sony XBR9 (http://store.sony.com/p/KDL-52XBR9/en/p/KDL52XBR9#specifications).

Seems like the video plays well for a few seconds, then appears to drop frames... so I see smooth playback, then jerk forward.

Any idea what I can do? I don't think it is a codec issue (Shark's 007 codec pack).

2. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    How are connecting your HTPC to your Sony? Via HDMI? What is your CPU rated at? How much RAM?
    What video card are you using?

3. mattCR

mattCR Well-Known Member
    HW Reviewer

Matt
    CPU & Video Card + where you are playing back from are all things that need to be considered.

4. erew99

erew99 Well-Known Member

Guy
    Connecting the HTPC via HDMI.
    CPU = i7 3770RAM = 8GB DDR3 1600MHz
    GPU = HD 7970

I figured out the issue and wanted to post back in case someone else has problems.

Looks like the video can be fixed by using CATALYST CONTROL CENTER - enabling the 'smooth playback' feature.

For audio I edited a registry entry. This article has the solution: http://www.overclock.net/t/1386403/newest-13-4-13-5-catalyst-causing-stuttering-audio-thru-hdmi-fix

I used post # 2.
    Open the registry (start run regedit)
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetContro lVideo{XXXX...}0000( 'XXXX' means device number. There are several device number folder and u should find 'AdapterDesc' in 0000 folder which key value is 'amd radeon HD 7XXX Series'. )At that '0000' folder, Change 'PP_SclkDeepSleepDisable REG_DWORD' value 0 to 1.and reboot!

You should search the entire registry (using the find feature) for "PP_SclkDeepSleepDisable". Whatever you find, edit the 0 to a 1.