1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Choosing Surround System

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Steve Mitchell, Mar 24, 2004.

1. Steve Mitchell

Steve Mitchell Auditioning

Hello,
    My name is Steve Mitchell. This is my first time contacting the forum. I am an audiophile by nature and would like help choosing a surround receiver and speakers. Currently I have a stereo system over ten years old -- 50w Luxman receiver, Polk monitor 7 speakers on stands, good quality cables/interconnects, and a new Pioneer DVD player that plays SACD/DVD audio formats. I am happy with the sound but want to step up to surround sound. I was thinking of spending roughly $1000-$1200. I will be playing cds more often than dvds, so the sound quality is the most important criteria in choosing a new system. The room I will be setting up in is about 18ft x 14ft, having walls of different construction (glass, brick, drywall, and a partial divider wall).

1) Would I be better off with a multichannel integrated amp (if they exist) because I never play the radio?

2) Would I be sacrificing sound depth/richness by starting over with small surround speakers plus subwoofer vs. adding three more Polks to the speakers I already have?

3) What model power source and speakers do you recommend for my situation?

Any advice you could give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.