1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Choosing audio & speaker settings on bd player for soundbar with subwoofer

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by bgart13, Feb 4, 2013.

1. bgart13

bgart13 Well-Known Member

Ben
    Hopefully this will be a short, simple thread. I just got a Philips soundbar and am unsure of the settings I should be using with my blu-ray player (Sherwood bdp-5004). Do I turn on all of the speaker options on the player (front, center, surrounds, and subwoofer)? Or do I just select the front speakers & the subwoofer? Or...? And, the subwoofer has a range of 20-150 Hz, and the player allows me to choose a setting of 80, 100, or 120 Hz -- what's best for this arrangement? As far as audio settings go, should I leave the Digital Output as PCM Stereo? Or, would I be better off choosing Bitstream Mixed, Bitstream HD, Bitstream Legacy, PCM 5.1 or PCM 7.1? I've checked the manual, but that was as helpful as me asking my dog... :rolleyes: Thanks well in advance! Ben

2. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    Since it is a soundbar, send everything to it PCM downmix. It will divy up the 2.0 content as it sees fit.

3. Al.Anderson

Al.Anderson Well-Known Member

Al
    Unless the soundbar is one of the few with discrete channel inputs. If it is, let us know.

4. bgart13

Ben
    I do not believe it has discrete channel inputs. It's a Philips CSS2123B/F7, btw.

5. Brian McHale

Brian McHale Well-Known Member

Brian McHale
    From the manual: On other devices such as DVD player or Bluray player, Select ‘PCM’ (PCM) from the audio output of the device.

6. bgart13

Ben
    Well, right. But in the case of my bdp, the options are PCM stereo, PCM 5.1, and PCM 7.1. I know it's not a true surround system, but does it matter which setting I put my player at to "help" the soundbar work "better?"

7. bgart13

Ben
    Any ideas about the others questions I had too?

8. bgart13

Ben
    In emailing with someone at Sherwood, it was highly suggested I leave the audio setting at Bitstream Mixed. He also stated that the speaker settings wouldn't matter much - but I'm not sure why.