What's new

Choosing a sub??? (1 Viewer)

jaxlynn86

Auditioning
Real Name
anderson
Onkyo TX-SR606

-Klipsch (2) f-2 towers
-Klipsch Quintet SL Surround sys (5 spkr sys) Not using the center channel.
-Polk Audio C20 Center channel

HDMI only, all the way around...

PS3
HD satellite receiver

running to 46" samsung LCD 1080p television
room is approx 21' x 24' with 10' ceiling...
Watch mostly movies not much on music..

I have a few subs in mind such as

Yamaha YST-SW515
Klipsch KSW-12
Klipsch RW-10D
Cadence CSX-12
Polk Audio PSW505
Polk Audio PSW125

Practically speaking, if they were all the same price and for the system i had with the room I'm using. Which one if any would be best???

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Why don't we take another route? What is your budget and we can work from there? I am a bass snob and wouldn't use any of those subs for any price including free.

-Robert

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Robert will also want you to build your own sub. So, be warned. ;)

I also wouldn't use any of those "subs".

jaxlynn86

Auditioning
Real Name
anderson
I'm looking to spend 3-$500.00 on a very good sub... what whould you guys go with??

Not to boomy, or loud.. something that's really going to bring the movies to life:emoji_thumbsup: , if you know what i mean...

jaxlynn86

Auditioning
Real Name
anderson
Yea- even though building my own sub would probably be theoretically a good idea, but in my eyes not a practical one.. with the little time and patience i have and for the look and quality im going for, I'm not about to sweat for hours in my garage constructing a sub that would probably turn out to look like a grade school wood shop project...

So if there are any suggestions on a decent (good) sub around 3-$500.00 for the accommodations i have, please point me in the right direction>>>

hodedofome

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Aaron Smith
This is going to be the best sounding one for your budget Elemental Designs

All of the Elemental Designs offer the best bang for the buck out of any other subs out there, however the finish is not very good looking IMHO. It's up to you.

Others in your budget are:

SVSound - Box Subwoofers

HSU STF-2 Subwoofer

VTF-1 Powered Subwoofer

Klipsch - 12" 650W Powered Subwoofer - SUB-12

If I had to choose by sound, I would do the Elemental Designs first, then the Klipsch Sub12. I have the Klipsch and for the price it is an excellent sub, NOT boomy and sounds pretty dang good with movies/music for the price. It's enough to shake your walls if you're wondering. Then it's a toss-up between the SVS and HSU. All of those will leave you happy, if you've never had a 'real' sub before.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Like John mentioned, I do suggest DIY every time. But you must have patience and a knack for it. At least you know that it is not for you and I won't suggest it again. Too bad you aren't closer because I'm building subs now to lower my inventory. I'll be selling them at materials cost to anyone local.

-Robert

Real Name
jayson barnett
DOnt forget about epik subs i would put the link but i cant because i have not posted 10 or more posts (epiksubwoofers.com).i bought the caliber and could not be happier. the valor might be a good choice. just trying to put that out there since no one has mentioned that brand. if you want more info pm me.

hodedofome

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Aaron Smith

Sure epik is awesome, however none are under $500 which is his budget. Had his budget been higher I would have suggested epik, or av123's mfw-15.

jaxlynn86

Auditioning
Real Name
anderson
What about Velodyne Acoustics DLS-3750R ??? From what I here they are rated very well..

Brian Serene

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brian Serene
I would take a look at the Elemental Design A2-300. At $315 delivered, this is a real sub, not some kind of toy. Ed seems to have decided to price the A2-300 lower than any of the better subs from anyone in the Internet Direct market.

It should also be a much better performer than anything you can buy in a store (within your budget). The A3-300 already suggested should give you even more performance, but at the moment the A2-300 is the bang-for-the-buck champ.

DaleAV

Agent

I agree, in the process of replacing my 5000. Nice sub, musical, powerful enough, and nice looking. But extension sucks. Other problem (related to more extension) is not enough cabinet rigidity. Only the high-end velos tend to have everything and they are easily 2X and 3X the price of the alternatives mentioned here.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks