What's new

Choice British Horror Titles Coming To DVD (1 Viewer)

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
Not sure if all you guys, on this particular thread, were aware of all these releases. Regardless, here they are. Seriously, looking forward to HORROR EXPRESS. That one in particular traumatized me when I saw it as a kid. Gonna check out PSYCHOMANIA next month on TCM; never saw that one.

OCTOBER 26

Features:

• Return Of The Living Dead: Interviews with stars Nicky Henson, Mary Larkin, Denis Gilmore, Roy Holder and Rocky Taylor
  • Sound Of Psychomania: Interview with Soundtrack composer John Cameron
  • Riding Free: Interview with Riding Free singer Harvey Andrews
  • Introduction by Fangoria Editor in Chief Chris Alexander
  • Original Theatrical Trailer

imgrepo

SPECIAL FEATURES: NONE

AVALIABLE NOW

DVDDRIVE-IN REVIEW

SPECIAL FEATURES: NONE

COMING SOON! (2011)

[COLOR= #ff0000]Severin Films[/COLOR]: Since their awe-inspiring collaboration in Hammer’s groundbreaking The Curse Of Frankenstein in 1957, Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee were destined to join the privileged ranks of cinema’s great horror stars alongside Boris Karloff, Bela Lugosi, Peter Lorre, Vincent Price and Lon Chaney. Severin Films will be paying tribute to their macabre celluloid partnership by giving the Special Edition treatment to not one but two of their finest fright flicks: Horror Express and The House That Dripped Blood.

Horror Express, also starring Kojak himself Telly Savalas, was written and produced in Spain by McCarthy era blacklistees to make use of a train purchased for director Eugenio Martin’s previous movie, Pancho Villa. The unlikely result was a masterwork of early 70s Euro-horror packed with wit, atmosphere and brainsucking, eye draining, Cossack maiming bloodshed. The House That Dripped Blood is one of the great Amicus anthology films featuring a smorgasbord of cult talent: Jon “Dr. Who” Pertwee, Ingrid ”Countess Dracula” Pitt, Denholm Elliott, Joss Ackland and Geoffrey Bayldon in a quartet of gruesome tales penned by PSYCHO-scribe Robert Bloch.

Expect new hi-def transfers to present these terrifying gems as you’ve never seen them before. Details on our astounding roster of special features to follow.

[COLOR= #ff0000]UPDATE (8/24/2010)[/COLOR][COLOR= #ff0000]: [/COLOR]After much scouring of global labs and personal collections we finally uncovered the long thought lost English trailers for both Psychomania and Horror Express. Both were transferred in HD and here they are. Sadly, no such luck with Crucible Of Terror. Horror Express will be released on DVD and Blu-ray sometime next year – stay tuned for updates.

WadeM

Supporting Actor
Yeah, I want all of those. The most exciting stuff being released these days is coming from the independent labels.

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
I'm hoping Severin can score a commentary with Christopher Lee for HORROR EXPRESS. They seem to get him for his R2 releases, but over here I have seen nothing with him.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
I don't remember ever listening to a Christopher Lee commentary - has he done any, Shawn? God bless him but the guy is getting up there in age - the time to sit him down for a chat is now. I'd like to listen to his comments on a number of films but my favorite Lee flick is Dr Terror's House of Horrors.

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
Finally, another DR. TERROR'S HOUSE OF HORRORS fan. Yeah, I love that one, too. I know he's done a commentary for NIGHT OF THE BIG HEAT (American Title: ISLAND OF THE BURNING DOOMED), and, I think, THE CREEPING FLESH on the R2 discs, and, possibly a few more. I can't believe of all the Hammer titles we've had released over here that no one has bothered to see if they could get him for a commentary. Isn't he in his 80s? Severin should try real hard to get him for HORROR EXPRESS. Wait, I think he actually did a commentary for one, or all, of the LORD OF THE RINGS movies. Have to check my discs.

cadavra

Supporting Actor
Real Name
mike schlesinger
Originally Posted by SWFF

Finally, another DR. TERROR'S HOUSE OF HORRORS fan. Yeah, I love that one, too. I know he's done a commentary for NIGHT OF THE BIG HEAT (American Title: ISLAND OF THE BURNING DOOMED), and, I think, THE CREEPING FLESH on the R2 discs, and, possibly a few more. I can't believe of all the Hammer titles we've had released over here that no one has bothered to see if they could get him for a commentary. Isn't he in his 80s? Severin should try real hard to get him for HORROR EXPRESS. Wait, I think he actually did a commentary for one, or all, of the LORD OF THE RINGS movies. Have to check my discs.

[COLOR= #0000cd]What makes you think they haven't tried?[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000cd]Mike S.[/COLOR]

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
That's true, they may have tried and he may have declined.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Lee did a couple commentary's on the Anchor Bay Hammer releases. Horror Express is already released by Image with a real nice transfer and I know it had extras. Have to check if it has a commentary. This will need to be a big improvement to upgrade.

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
I don't have any of the ANCHOR BAY's with him in it. I've got QUATERMASS 2 and 3, ABOMINABLE SNOWMAN, LOST CONTINENT, THE REPTILE, and X, THE UNKNOWN. Though I do own THE CREEPING FLESH, THE GORGON and Image's HORROR EXPRESS, and would have loved to see some of those with Lee's commentary. I have never been a fan of HAMMER's endless number of Dracula or Frankenstein movies. I know TCM is airing a bunch of HAMMER flicks next month and I may try and watch some of the Dracula ones, but I have never been a fan of Frankenstein's monster.

I do wish I had THE DEVIL RIDES OUT and LEGEND OF THE 7 GOLDEN VAMPIRES, though. I know TCM is also airing THE DEVIL RIDES OUT next month and have always heard good things about that one, will have to check it out.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
He's on the Region 2 Wicker Man commentary. That disc includes a wonderful easter egg video showing the first 15 minutes of the commentary being recorded.

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
I can't believe I've had this on my wishlist, and completely forgot he's listed as doing a commentary for it.

D'Oh!

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Originally Posted by Randy Korstick

Lee did a couple commentary's on the Anchor Bay Hammer releases. Horror Express is already released by Image with a real nice transfer and I know it had extras. Have to check if it has a commentary. This will need to be a big improvement to upgrade.

I womder how the new DVD will compare to the Image disc

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Where did that City of the Dead cover come from? I see "alternate cover printed on back" indicating the one I have, but mine doesn't have this on it. Its reverse side is blank.

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
That particular DVD of CITY OF THE DEAD came from DVD Empire, where I have a mile long wish list.

And, Denny, you can pretty much guarantee that Severin's HORROR EXPRESS is going to look and sound ten times better than Image's; they're even restoring the end credits. If you recall, the music goes on after the end credits have stopped rolling; I was always wondering what the deal was with that.

WadeM

Supporting Actor
Christopher Lee did commentaries on The Devil Rides Out and Rasputin the Mad Monk

Originally Posted by Randy Korstick

Lee did a couple commentary's on the Anchor Bay Hammer releases.

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
THE DEVIL RIDES OUT, I gotta check that one out on TCM next month, if I like it, I might pick up the DVD. I know it's still available at some online outlets. Who here can vouche for that one? Is it good?

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Umm..so Lee has actually recorded commentaries before, then. Can't say I've seen any of those films mentioned. Here's a question: are any of those flicks he's made commentaries for any good? I mean, someone like Christopher Lee isn't going to waste time reminiscing about duds unless they were paying him good money for it, right?

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
To Any Hammer film fan and Christopher Lee Fan both are very good. If you are a fan of neither and just a horror film buff then "Devil Rides Out" is very good and "Rasputin" is OK.

Originally Posted by Luisito34

Umm..so Lee has actually recorded commentaries before, then. Can't say I've seen any of those films mentioned. Here's a question: are any of those flicks he's made commentaries for any good? I mean, someone like Christopher Lee isn't going to waste time reminiscing about duds unless they were paying him good money for it, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks