What's new

Chinatown : is this coming out on BR? (1 Viewer)

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Paramount isn't exactly quick to bring out their pre-80s titles on Blu. That being said, they'll probably get around to releasing Chinatown as part of their Sapphire Series sometime before 2012,

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Judging by what they released in the US so far one might get the impression that Paramount did not produce ANY movies in the 50s and 60s ;)

Chinatown seems to be one of these titles that gets announced and then pushed back again because the studio wants to get it right. If that is the case I am all for it.

Jeff Newcomb

Second Unit
The Digital Bits had originally said that a Blu-ray version of the recent Centennial Edition of Chinatown would be released in early 2010, but after the Polanski arrest, Paramount pulled all of their Polanski product out of circulation. This includes all versions of Chinatown, even the Centennial Edition that only came out a few months before the arrest.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Originally Posted by Jeff Newcomb

The Digital Bits had originally said that a Blu-ray version of the recent Centennial Edition of Chinatown would be released in early 2010, but after the Polanski arrest, Paramount pulled all of their Polanski product out of circulation. This includes all versions of Chinatown, even the Centennial Edition that only came out a few months before the arrest.
I should think the furor would lead to increased sales! Don't tell my Paramount is suddenly having a crisis of conscience!

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Dick

I should think the furor would lead to increased sales! Don't tell my Paramount is suddenly having a crisis of conscience!

Paramount with a conscience, more likely the continuation of a marketing department that is inept and bad decisions.

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
Looks like if they did a BR ,that the Original extras are gone for good,so keep thta dvd
Again a lot of the important extras on this new 2 dvd set arent 16x9 for some reason,only letterboxed

The comentary is pretty good too

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Originally Posted by OliverK

Judging by what they released in the US so far one might get the impression that Paramount did not produce ANY movies in the 50s and 60s ;)

Chinatown seems to be one of these titles that gets announced and then pushed back again because the studio wants to get it right. If that is the case I am all for it.

actually if you look at the pre 90's releases list you will see that Paramount is pretty good at bringing stuff from the 70's its the pre 70's catalog that is missing, 2 titles, 2 that's all, and one of them isn't released yet (African Queen). i know alot of there film library is at Universal , but lets see, they have a lot of John Wayne classics, Billy Wilder ( Sunset Blvd, Stalag 17), Hitchcock (To Catch A Thief), The Ten Commandments (C.B. DeMille) Audrey Hepburn classics, and just got the rights for My Fair Lady , if Chinatown has to wait these are all acceptable substitutes to fill in the time.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Paramount indeed has released more titles from the 70s but so has every other major studio.

There is however only one more no-show studio, which is Universal. All the other majors gave us at least a few releases from those two decades! As Paramount produced many movies in VistaVision during those years they have a substantial library of movies that have the potential to look very good on Blu-Ray so it would be nice to see some progress being made at Paramount.

I think the Ten Commandments has been rumored for a hidef release for some time now and indeed it is a very popular movie for Paramount but as we know the most popular movies often are not the ones that get released first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks