What's new

Chilis and the price of beer (1 Viewer)

Marianne

Supporting Actor
It's "Happy Hour All Day" at Chilis and this used to be a good thing, back when 2 beers for the price of 1 meant something.

The glasses have been getting smaller and the price has been going up. Of course, the price of everything has gone up.

Last week we went to Chilis and hubby had "2 for 1" Yeungling draft and I decided to have a bottle of Corona. I always ask for a glass (because I'm a Brit). So, I pour out my Corona and it is more than a glass - it is almost 2 glasses.

This means the glasses in Chilis are about 8 oz, so you get 16 oz (2 for 1). That was OK until we get the bill.

16 oz of Yeungling $3.99
12 oz of Corona $3.99

So, if you said "I don't want 2 beers I only want one" it would be $3.99 for 8 oz.

Am I missing something? :confused:

BrettV

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brett Voss
Do the survey on the website -- there's always a link on the bill that you get.

Tell them that you won't be going back; that you'll be going to "enter-name-here" down the road that is closer and charges less for beer.

Those prices are ridiculous.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
If you look at groceries, the price might be staying the same, but the amount you get for the same price is getting smaller. It's still price inflation on a cost/weight basis. It sucketh.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
The proper way to drink beer (unless line dancing in a Texas honky-tonk) is in a glass—otherwise, no head, so I’m with you on that one Marianne. But not the Corona, a beer that I consider to be a testement to marketing.

For years, beer in clear glass (Sol, Corona, Pacifico, etc.) was known (at least in Mexico) to be something to be swilled down quickly—not to worry about the taste, just to cool down. Nonetheless, Corona ran a great ad campaign several years ago in the States that convinced many that it was a good, perhaps superior beer. It took off so well that those who used to know better (in Mexico) came along for the ride, and now many down here also think that this is a premium beer.

Of course I am aware that back in England lager became a bigger seller than beer, so perhaps the trend can’t be reversed.

Still if I were paying those prices, I’d opt for something with a bit more flavor.

(and I only wrote this, as you thought no one cared about beer in John’s thread)

Marianne

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the replies!

We went to Carrabbas on Saturday and it is "Happy Hour" between 3pm and 7pm. So hubby orders Yeungling draft and he gets two 12 oz beers for $3.25.

Chilis: 16 oz for $3.99
Carrabbas: 24 oz for $3.25

Patrick: I have noticed that everything is getting smaller but is the same price. Another thing that is pissing me off is that more and more gas stations now only display the "regular" gas price so if you use the higher grades you don't know the price until you get to the pumps. It used to be that each grade was 10c more, but now it is a 12-15c differential.

Lew: I like Corona with spicy food, and use a glass so I can squeeze the lime into it. I usually drink Stella at home, now that I can get it at our supermarket ($13.99 for a 12 pack).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks