What's new

Child 44 is coming! (1 Viewer)

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
The best-selling novel by Tom Rob Smith finally seems to be getting off the ground film-wise. Ridley Scott has been attached to the project for a while now, but it seems he'll only be producing with Safe House's Daniel Espinosa in the director's chair. Tom Hardy is to play the lead character, and Noomi Rapace and Gary Oldman are also set to appear in the film. Shooting will start this summer, so I assume it'll be out sometime in 2014.

If you're not familiar with the novel, it's set in 1950's Stalinist Russia, and MGB agent (basically the KGB before it was called that) Leo Demidov (which I assume will be Tom Hardy) trying to solve a series of child murders.

I've been looking forward to a film adaptation of this since I read the book a few years ago. Glad to see all this recent news coming along, as I had pretty much given up hope. Funny to see Hardy and Oldman appear in their 4th movie together in 3 years. (Tinker Taloir Solder Spy, The Dark Knight Rises, Lawless, and now this).

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I liked it better the first time I saw it...when it was called
Citizen X
:lol:

Seriously, same story [author even admits it's based on the same real-life serial killer], but an enjoyable read nonetheless.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
lol, didn't know that existed. The difference between this story though and the real life serial killer is the historical setting. Child 44 takes place in 1953, where-as the real story happened in the 80's. I looked at it more as a backdrop to the story anyways, with the story being more of a portiat of what it was like in the Soviet Union back then.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Yeah I know. But if you haven't seen the movie in my spoiler you should check it out. It's actually a very well done movie (I think it was an original HBO production) but Stephen Rea and Jeffrey DeMunn are excellent in it. Could serve to whet your appetite for Child 44.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Carlo Medina said:
Yeah I know. But if you haven't seen the movie in my spoiler you should check it out. It's actually a very well done movie (I think it was an original HBO production) but Stephen Rea and Jeffrey DeMunn are excellent in it. Could serve to whet your appetite for Child 44.
The movie you refer to is called CITIZEN X, and I believe is still available.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
If one clicks on the spoiler tag of my first post you see I refer to that exact movie. I spoilerized it in case someone hadn't seen Child 44 and I didn't want to give away the plot/premise by allowing people the option of clicking or not clicking on the spoiler to see the name of the original movie I was referring to.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks