What's new

Cheapest way to get from component to composite? Or maybe I need something else? (1 Viewer)

JasonGabler

Auditioning
So I was reading and learned that my Infocus X1 can use its DB15 VGA port as an HD15 port. My heart leaped and I went out and bought some connectors, ripped 25 feet of cat5e off of my trusty spool and put a cable together and hooked up the X1 up to my Sony HTiB DAV-FC7 (3xRCA-out). What a difference! The runes of Mordor on the One Ring never looked so bright and crisp!

While my projector can take in almost any signal, my TV only has composite and RF inputs. The HTiB does have a composite monitor-out but switching the HTiB to go back and forth from composite-out ("interlaced" on the menu) and component-out ("progressive" on the menu) is more work than a complicated remote macro can do. The system must be in DVD playing mode, play stopped, DVD setup menu started, scrolled, selected, etc. Why Sony stuck a system setup feature into a DVD playing menu I'll never know.

Short of buying a new TV, I thought maybe I could put a switch/selector on the component out and on the out to the TV I would do component to composite signal conversion. Unfortunately, this seems pretty pricey... like on the order of being more costly than the HTiB itself! I'm at a loss as to what to do here. Am I missing a clue to a simple solution? Or am I really stuck?

jason

-

Jeremy_Watson

Stunt Coordinator
Jason,

I think the best solution and the one you would enjoy the most, if possible, is to get a TV that can accept progressive scan (i.e. component) signals. The picture quality is worlds above what you must be seeing now.

Also, the switching from progressive scan to interlaced is not as simple as, for example, changing surround modes. I'm not sure the electronics behind it, but every component I've see you must either manual flip a switch or exit to the main menu (on my DVD player and GameCube).

Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks