What's new

Cheap subwoofer? (1 Viewer)

PeterK

Supporting Actor
I am looking for a subwoofer for >$200 CND. I am really ticked off because when we bought our tv the guy talked my mom into buying a 150 monster power bar to protect our home entertainment center but she whines about spending 150 on a subwoofer. Anyway, our room is 28X14X7 (nice doubles huh?) we have a carpeted floor over concrete. I would like a subwoofer that will give us adequate bass but nothing that will massacre the house and cause hours of arguing about how no one listens or respects people's need for quiet. I wasn't even sure if i was going need a base because my mains have 10" woofers in them but I think that I will end up needing one.
any thoughts?

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
I do not think Futureshop carries the Sony...

Most of the subs at Futureshop aren't 'outstanding' for their price (at least in the lower end

The Dayton 10" from partsexpress is supposed to be really awesome. I'd check out that route, see how much shipping and stuff goes to

Andrew_G

Agent
I personally like the Dayton better becuase it is simply a better value for the money.

Don't let the popular name brand of velodyne fool you - it is not like their normal high-end gear. The Dayton sub is much better built and sounds much better, especially for the price.

Jack Keck

Second Unit
I have a Dayton 10" in an open basement. It does just fine, thank you. If you want a sub for under $200, then that's the one to get.

Ian-Fl

Second Unit
I had a Dayton sub shipped last October. They charged $246.73 Cdn. and Canada post charged me for GST and PST at the door. That was when the exchange rate was at .72 and I just checked it today at .73
I was a bit disapointed it wasn't a better deal. They used US postal air freight at $52.84 US
In retrospect it's still a better sub than anything you'll find at Futurshop for that price.

ChrisRuh

Stunt Coordinator
Any idea on when the Dayton goes on sale? They'd clean house if they put it on sale for $99 once in a while....

/cheapskate

Paul Stanley

Stunt Coordinator
Futureshop has a Yamaha sub for $150, and Walmart has a Sony for $199. You might want to check out your city on saturday.

ChrisRuh

Stunt Coordinator
Was that a ONE day sale and I missed it??????!!! I've been waiting for weeks and I missed it????!!! It's back to $125.

/very cheap

DorianBryant

Screenwriter
Pay the extra $25 dollars. It is more than worth it. I have mine in a 20' x 18' room with a cathedral ceiling and an open loft overhead. That is alot of cubic feet. With my Dayton in the corner it shakes the house. It is a great deal. The best budget sub out there.

David Bikeman

Stunt Coordinator
I own the Dayton and I agree it's the best low cost value and it will shake the house but it is not a musical sub. It's sorta OK for some music but you won't mistake it for Hsu, SVS or AV123.

David

DorianBryant

Screenwriter
I have never owned an SVS, but I would agree with David regarding music. In fact, any subs I have owned always get turned way down for music. I like bass, but I like the bass put out by my S38II's for music. Not overpowering but realistic.

For HT, it works very well.

As for Parts Express, it may not be economical but its is $25. I am the biggest sale /deal shopper out there so if it was that unreasonable for additional charges I would not consider it for Canadien buyers.

Pete_M3

Agent
If you can spend a bit more, here is a sub from CSS, a Canadian company, for $379CDN, shipped

(since I'm not allowed to post URLs, add "www" to the link below)

.creativesound.ca/details.php?model=CLARUS8150PR

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks