What's new

Cheap source for official Sony TV remotes?? (1 Viewer)

Camp

Senior HTF Member
I destroyed the remote for my Sony 36" XBR 400 (it doesn't take well to liquid spills). I've spent the last few days drying it out but it doesn't want to recover. :frowning:

I want a new "official" Sony TV remote but I know Sony would charge upwards of $70. Is there a cheaper way to get a real Sony remote? I don't want a pre-programmed universal remote...I want the real deal.

Just curious if you video experts know of a route I should investigate.

Thanks!

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
keep checking ebay till one comes up

if you buy a sony directv receiver, the remote is much like the tv remote, actually I like them better

SeanA

Second Unit
You may want to consider Sony's programmable/learning remote, model RM-AV3000. It can be hand for about $100 at eCost.com. I am not sure if this falls into what you termed a "pre-programmed universal remote".

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
I don't know what you did to dry out the remote but if you remove the batteries before the electronics short out then remotes can survive liquid spills. You need to take the unit apart however so that any residue can be removed from the boards and from under the rubber pads. Most organic contaminents are best removed with water or isopropyl alchohol and a Q-tip. Dried residues can sometimes be brushed off with an old toothbrush. It's too bad you're not a little closer, my shop is about 4 hours away from you.

I haven't seen OEM remotes showing up cheap for several years and only then if someone dumps overstocks.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
You may want to consider Sony's programmable/learning remote, model RM-AV3000. It can be hand for about $100 at eCost.com. I am not sure if this falls into what you termed a "pre-programmed universal remote".
Oh, I have a Pronto & a MX-700 but I find visitors don't understand them. They almost always prefer the real remote...plus, I'd just like to have it.

Steve,

I realized my mistake as soon as I woke up this morning...I forgot to remove the batteries. Killed it good, didn't I? I found a site called www.newtvremotes.com that sells them for much less than Sony does. Still, Ebay seems the best option right now as they're closer to $10.

Bill Will

Screenwriter
I should have added that they will fix any broken remotes for $23 or $33 depending on what kind of a remote it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks