What's new

Cheap multi-zone 5.1 receiver (1 Viewer)

Tim Hess

Second Unit
I'm looking for a no frills 5.1/DTS Dual-zone (2nd zone is 2.0) cheap receiver to be used for kids movies/tv/music.

It needs to have component x2, optical x2 at minimum, LFE out, not sure about wattage, but the speakers will be micro bookshelves at the largest (eyeing Orbs Mod2 all around), not sure what the outside speakers are (pre-existing) but they aren't that big.

No need for useless sound fields, though 5-Channel Stereo would be great, I'm fine with re-furb units as well, it just has to be cheap (Under $300, if not lower), but not garbage =D as the speakers/receiver do need to fill a large amount of space (three adjacent spaces/rooms off the living room).

Living room where speakers/receiver will go (kitchen/DR are off/open to this room:

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne

Component, optical, LFE, no problem. Just about anything in that price range will have it. You’re probably going to be hard pressed to find a multi-zone at that price, though.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne

Hmm... The multi-zone function isn’t jumping out at me... What is your goal for that anyway? Powered by the receiver? Separate amplification?

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Tim Hess

Second Unit

I'm completely new to Dual Zone functionality =D I would imagine that a DZ would cut power to the 'main 5.1' setup and direct juice for the 2.0; powered but the same receiver? Ultimately, contrary to what I said before, I would like to do the following:

Run the same source to set A and set B

Run just set A or set B, independently of one another.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne

In other words, you want the receiver to power the second speakers. What you need is a 7.1 receiver that will let you re-assign two of the channels for a second zone. Or, a receiver that has A and B connections for the main left and right channels, but that would be less desirable.

Once again, it may be a challenge finding a second-zone receiver in this price range. However, if you have an old receiver lying around collecting dust, you could connect it to the HT receiver via any of the record out jacks, and use it for second zone.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Tim Hess

Second Unit

I just dug up a post from another forum that had this same solution (7.1) but did not list any models. I could boost up the dollar amount and hopefully nab one for decent price. Any suggestions?

Sadly, no old A/V kicking around (anymore).

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Check ecost.com for the Denon 886. $244 for a "recertified" unit. Should be more receiver than you need. Excellent price for a fine receiver. There are several other Denon authorized refurb sellers which may have other models to choose from that fit your needs. Check their web site under "on-line dealers" for a who's who.

Tim Hess

Second Unit
I'm curious if there are any alternatives? Onkyo, HK, Yamaha, etc. that offer the same functionality? I wanted to do a bit more research, but I am not sure what this feature could be called other than powered Zone 2?

Any suggestions or additional models that you might now about?

Thanks again!

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
The only other one I found with Zone 2 is the Sony DG800. It can be found new from j&r.com and a couple of others, for less than $300. But I'd still go with a Denon refurb. There are also a couple of lesser Denons, the 687 and 787, that can be had as refurbs. Didn't find anything from Onkyo, Yamaha, H/K, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks