1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Cheap digital coax cables?

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by JohnGoggan, Jun 2, 2003.

1. JohnGoggan

JohnGoggan Well-Known Member

I feel stupid having to ask this, but I just can't find the info anywhere... Do I need anything "special" for a coax digital cable? I mean -- just shielded, right? I currently use a nice Panasonic player as my primary DVD -- with it's optical cable. I recently picked up a cheap Daewoo DVG-4000S just for SVCD playback and other mucking about and it has only a coax digital output. While all of the local stores have tons of cheap optical cables, they don't seem to have just a basic digital coax cable... Am I just not looking for the right thing? Can I just go to the electronics/video department and buy a "standard" composite video cable or the audio section for some cheap cable and use either of those? -- or will it not be shielded properly for use as digital coax?

I don't want to have to order some higher end stuff (like I did for my other connections -- both optical and component video) just to get this rarely-used DVD player connected with digital coax.

Thanks!

- John...

2. Jed M

Jed M Well-Known Member

Any shielded rca type cable should work. A nice cheap composite video cable would do fine.

3. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Well-Known Member

Yeah. The ones with the yellow sleaves designed to carry a video signal from one RCA jack to another- carrying a digital signal is almost the same thing (electrically), so the cable specification for video RCA's make a good digital coax cable too. Most of the $20-$40 "digital" cables are just these relabled for marketing purposes.

4. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Well-Known Member

5. Frank Zimkas

Frank Zimkas Well-Known Member

I just picked up a couple of Acoustic Research Digital Coax Cables (1meter)from BB for about $12 each.

6. Vincent_S

Vincent_S Well-Known Member

I just bought one from www.heartlandcables.com. I don't know if it is out of your price range but it was $22 shipped. And excellent build quality I might add.[​IMG]