What's new

Charlie's Angels: The Complete First Season coming May 27th (1 Viewer)

MattHR

Screenwriter
TVonDVD.com confirms that the 2-hour pilot film WILL be included in the Season One set afterall. Very good news, despite the fact that the compression will be severe to accommodate the pilot and 22 episodes on only 5 discs.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
And here is the article Matt's referring to. :)

I should be able to get the actually release listings into the system this weekend. Dang, it's getting hard to keep up with all the releases! Who would have thought it would explode like this? Uh...meeee! ;)

Edit: Here's the complete back covers for both Complete First Season (top) and Best Of (bottom):

Tommy G

Screenwriter
Wow, great news! Thanks guys for all the help. Well, I'm off to DDD to pre-order the full season and in May I get to go into the time warp machine and relive some of my childhood memories! :D

Florian B

Agent
But why the f... is Columbia putting about 250 minutes of video on every disc? :angry:
They KNOW video quality IS going to suffer. Why can't they just put 4 1hour-shows on every disc like all other studios do!?:frowning: :angry: We know that the number of discs (especially in a multi-disc-set) doesn't affect production costs that much.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
So who else picked this up?

i wasn't too excited at first, since like a few other people here i was always more partial to the Kris episodes, but for $36 i figured why not.

watched the pilot and first episode along with the Angels Forever featurette and now i can say i'm really glad i picked this up :D

for anyone who used to be (or still is *shudder...gasp*) a fan of the show, the pilot is fascinating stuff.

the real hoot was the Forever featurette.
while the 'fans' interviewed were already starting to get on my nerves by the time the thing was over at the 20 minute mark, the irreverant nature and editing of the piece had me grinning ear to ear the whole time.
its so refreshing to see a supplement that makes no bones about the 'quality' of the actual property.
CA gets affectionatley pegged from all corners for exactly what it was.
it should tell you something, that the first real topic of the featurette is the issue of Farrahs nipples.
i kid you not.

no, this still isn't the kind of release that makes me so thankful for the medium, but i can see i will enjoy spinning an episode now and then a lot more than i had expected to...keeping an MST3K vibe in mind.

i really hope we will see at least the second season when the sequel hits dvd.
i was fully expecting the film to flop this summer but now i suppose i should be rooting for it to succeed, just to get set 2.
Angels In Paradise, Angels On Ice, Circus Angels...Cheryl Ladd in a bikini, Jacyln Smith belly-dancing...those are the eps i really want.

i hope we don't have to wait for Charlies Angels 3 for it.

BTW quality of the material i've seen so far doesn't look too bad, but i'm guessing the discs were made from the original videotape and not from the original film.
wonder if the film material even still exists at this point.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Funny thing is I'm enjoying "The Mexican Connection" right now.

PQ on this one and The Pilot are great for their age...Columbia finally outdid themselves on the video front! I hope all the other episodes live up to my expectations after these two.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I don't know about the B&Ms, but Amazon Canada has bumped this to a June 10 release, so no Angels for this Canuck until then. It will be interesting to see whether Farrah still has "it."

They should have included the poster... :)

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
which Columbia logo plays at the end of the episodes? The original "orange torch" or the dreaded "boxes of freedom"?

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I'm not sure what you mean by "boxes of freedom" vs. "orange torch".

The logo at the end is the "Columbia" lady one (with the orange torch) shown in the left, ahem, box. :)

This is the standard Columbia logo I see on all their DVD releases. Underneath it mentions Sony's ownership. I don't have it on my screen right now, so I can't give you more detail than that from memory.

Christopher D

Second Unit
Hey (and I am ashamed to ask this question) does anybody know if the credit sequence on these discs is the original? As I recall, David Doyle (Bosley) wasn't pictured in the opening credits for a couple of years, but the credits for the first episode after the pilot in this set included him. Is my memory wrong?

Also, the pilot is kind of an odd time -- around 71 minutes or so. Is it really uncut?

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
I would assume that the pilot originally aired in a 90 minute time slot which would easily explain the 71 minute length (the Lynda Carter "Wonder Woman" pilot was also shot for a 90 minute time slot).

The biggest revelation with the pilot was David Ogden Stiers character, clearly dropped from the series because it just meant having two Bosleys.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
After watching the first couple of discs, I would say that Charlie's Angels is proof of global warming, I mean, somebody get those girls a sweater! :D

It's pretty cool to have all these '70s flashbacks, the cars, the clothes, the disco music. Add to that all the soon to be stars, and cross promotion (Starsky & Hutch shirt is To Kill an Angel). I don't remember all of these shows, but a good deal of them. Hopefully season two isn't too far away.

The picture quality isn't all that bad either considering, although my Toshiba makes these look time compressed in places. Has anyone else noticed that?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks