What's new

Charlie's Angels: The Complete First Season coming May 27th (1 Viewer)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Oh, not just "The Complete First Season", either! Nope...just like Universal did with Baretta, the folks at Columbia/TriStar are also bringing out (on the same date) a 5-episode "The Best Of Charlie's Angels" as well.

Complete specs, plus cover art and pricing, can be found here.

And this is May 27th...just a week after Cheers and Frasier! :eek: May also has Dark Angel, Sex & the City S4, X-Files S7...my wallet will be empty! Oh, well...June's not shaping up to be any cheaper.

Jeffrey Gray

Second Unit
Weren't there some "Best of" discs that were to come out in fall 2000? I'm glad they were cancelled...season sets are always better...

Dave_P.

Supporting Actor
Yeah I got duped into buying that one, assuming more episode discs would follow, which didn't. I just hope they plan on putting out all the seasons on this one now.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
5 Episode 'Best of' - isn't the standard for hour long (42 minute) TV Shows 4 episodes per disc?
Columbia always compacts things more than recommended. That's why their video always looks bad. Mad About You is a good example. There are better ones, but my head hurts right now and I must finish The Roundup.

Chuck L

Screenwriter
I am hoping that when this set comes it isn't the over-scanned pictures that were featured on some of the VHS issued releases. What I mean by this is that you could tell that the videos had been blownup...

Great example was "Angel's In Chains." In the scene were they are told to disrobe, on the VHS is chopped their heads half off. The television version that I have on tape from WGN doesn't do that. (The best thing about the VHS versions that were released (The TWO OF THEM) was it was the unedited for syndication version...was nice to see the missing scenes. Another example of this from the tv version compared to the VHS...you see where Jill is massaging a guy simply to get to the phone that is in the room and gets caught. On the syndicated version, this scene is removed, and jumps to the Angels being told that they are in trouble and that Jill was caught trying to call someone...It is a shame I know this series this well...)

Can't wait for this! Should be interesting to see how they deal with the Shelly Hack season...OUCH! Wonder if she will be available for comment? :b

MattHR

Screenwriter
22 episodes (at approx. 50 minutes each) is way too much to cram onto 5 dvds! It's obvious they are not including the original 2-hour pilot movie in the set, either. Columbia/Tri-Star's compression of their TV programs on dvd is very disturbing. It's ironic that they are the same studio that markets the SuperBit line and promotes them as being compressed as little as possible. Although the $50 retail price is nice ($10/disc), I'd rather they follow Fox's example of using 6 discs per season ($60, still only $10/disc) which allows for better quality. I'm afraid that Columbia's TV product on dvd is being handled like "EP mode" product was for VHS.

Chuck L

Screenwriter
Very true Matt and very valid points...yet at the same time, if this is the only way that they are being released, for me at least, this is the only way to buy them because this will be it period...

So far on the television product, I am pleased. Good Times is better looking than I have ever seen it be, and The Jefferson's, while it has some problems, still looks better than what I see on Nick at Nite.

The best cross promotion though that they could have used...put the original pilot on the Best of Disc. That why die-hards like myself for the Angels would have to buy both...I would gladly do this. (Also...all the cross promotion in the world with the new film is great...but the only reason why I am seeing it is because of Demi...these new Angels couldn't fill a halter top next to the classic Angels...)

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Should be interesting to see how they deal with the Shelly Hack season...OUCH! Wonder if she will be available for comment?
Frankly, it's the only season I'm interested in -- I always found Kate Jackson annoying, and it had plenty of "so bad it's good" writing as opposed to the mediocre stuff the preceded it. Classic example: the Jaclyn Smith $1000 a throw streetwalker episode -- I remember that whole conceit as being howlingly funny.

Ted

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Here are 4 menu screens from the upcoming CA discs.

The first one, top to bottom, is from the "Best Of" and features all three Angels. The next three are from The Complete First Seasons, and are from the first three discs, and each features a separate Angel. No telling what will be on discs 4 and 5, but if they were smart the 4th would be Bosley, and the 5th would be the back of Charlie's head, with a receiver on his ear! :)

The REAL news attached to these pics is the inclusion of a "Play All" feature on the menu choices! :eek: This is great! It's the first time an "adult" TV-DVD from Columbia has included this feature. It would be appropriate to tout this and say "thanks" to the studio, and encourage them to continue on all future releases (even ones like All In The Family, where previously released seasons didn't include it). So be sure to thank Columbia for this feature if you happen to talk to them!

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
They need the famous Farrah poster (you guys who were alive in the 1970s know the one I'm talking about) as an easter egg. If the price is right, I'll probably get these.

Tommy G

Screenwriter
Oh boy, this is what I've been waiting for. I always had Jaclyn Smith hanging up in my room but those posters were usually a lot harder to get ahold of than Farrah. I happened to like the episodes when Kris arrived on the scene after Farrah left the best.

Tommy G

Screenwriter
Does anybody know the episode names for the complete first season? I couldn't find them on any of the e-tailer websites. I'm wondering if all of the episodes on the "best of" are included on the full season. That way I won't have to buy both. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks