1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Charcoal or Gas Grill?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Pamela, Oct 13, 2003.

1. AnthonyClarke

AnthonyClarke Screenwriter

Anthony
    Just as I also said .. it's great having both, as long as it's Weber!

2. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    Browsed the grills at Lowes and HomeDepot this afternoon. I talked to a salesman at Lowes for a bit; he was helpful and helped me understand the Weber grills better. Although, interestingly, he liked the CharBroil (I think) and recommended that as we talked.

I've ruled out "infrared".

Weber grills are all priced the same retail and online, so I'll probably buy locally. I still don't know what to make of the Weber options (sear station and stainless vs colored).

Definitely going gas, since I'm plumbed to the house's NG line. The convenience to me far outweighs flavor benefits of charcoal.

Sam Posten likes this.
  3. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Well said Josh. I do like the flavor of charcoal better but nothing beats the convenience of propane.

4. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    Some of the new Webers have interchangeable grate accessories, like pizza stones and poultry roasters. It doesn't seem to be too much more expensive than the plain ol' versions.

5. nara

nara Second Unit

Hugh
    Charcoal. Gas is for pussies!

6. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    I think I'll get the Weber Genesis E-330, with natural gas hookup. I think I'll use the sear station (a fourth burner to get the grates even hotter for steaks), though I don't care about the side burner. The stainless steel grates of the S-330 are appealing, but maybe not $120 appealing. I don't know of any cooking benefit; cast-iron are fine.

I've got a couple-three months before the deck is built: time to start watching for grill sales :)

7. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    Cast iron(porcelain coated or not) you'll replace every 2-4 year's.Stainless. The grill will fall apart before the stainless has problems.

8. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    The trade off seems to be heat capacity."A good, heavy cast iron grate should last for decades if you take care of it. If you simply are not willing to do the work, go for a high quality porcelain coated cast iron grate. You get the heat characteristics of cast iron in a rust resistant surface."http://bbq.about.com/od/grills/f/f060704a.htmWeber has this to say:Which are better, stainless steel, porcelain-coated cast iron or porcelain enamel cooking grates?The cooking grates on our gas grills are available in three types – porcelain-enameled steel, porcelain-enameled cast iron and stainless steel. Each grate has its benefits:The porcelain enamel steel grates offer even heating and searing abilities.The porcelain enameled cast iron grates offer a hotter surface for searing because cast iron retains heat better than porcelain enameled steel or stainless steel.The stainless steel grates offer cooking properties similar to the porcelain enameled steel grates and are very durable.http://help.weber.com/faqs/10/which-are-better-stainless-steel-porcelain-coated-cast-ironWarranty is a wash:Stainless steel cooking grates 5 years, no rust through or burn throughPorcelain-enameled, cast-iron cooking grates 5 years, no rust through or burn through

9. Ray Chuang

Ray Chuang Screenwriter

Not if it's a gas-fired infrared grill. Infrared grills have a flame temperature of 700+ °F., and unlike charcoal grills generally don't suffer from the "hot spot" problem that plagues charcoal grills at times. In fact, steakhouse restaurants often use infrared grills because they can cook steaks at amazing speed without drying out the steak itself.

10. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    That sounds different from what Char-Broil sells as "infrared."

11. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    Ability to sear has more to do with the mass of the grates themselves...more than what the grate is made of. More mass...more heat hold(cast iron, if porcelain coated, and SS have the same heat loss quotient. Aluminum is higher than either...but, doesn't withstand the outright heat)
    If you have "hot spots", you suck at charcoal.