1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Changing Drivers in my sub's

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joel Aparicio, Feb 9, 2002.

  1. Joel Aparicio

    Joel Aparicio Member

    Feb 8, 2002
    Likes Received:
    Hello All,
    My problem is that I have two Kenwood 200-watt 12" powered sub's, one located in a front left corner and the other located in the right rear underneath a end table. The problem is that when I venture above the 117db range the subs become overly distorted and drop out. I am wondering if changing out the driver's would releave this problem, and if it would what drivers to go with?[​IMG]
  2. Rich Kraus

    Rich Kraus Well-Known Member

    May 3, 2000
    Likes Received:
    your other problem is huge text.

    id sell the current sub(s) intact and DIY a well designed substitute.

    ive tried the driver retrofit route, and the results (although an improvement) were no where near the cost benifit i got by starting from scratch with a better design.

    117dB at what frequency? IMO 117dB @ 20hz is way more satisfing that 117@ 40 hz. how big is the room. whats the room layout?

    more importantly- how loud do you really want to get? 117dB is pretty loud already.
  3. Travis G

    Travis G Well-Known Member

    Jan 6, 2002
    Likes Received:
    I agree with Rich. I would not change the drivers because chances are the speakers that you replace them with won't be the best match for the enclosure.
    However I would start by putting both subs in the same corner (and as close together as possible). This will increase coupling of the two speakers and raise the output a few dBs.
    If you decide to build your own it's quite possible to build a sub that would anialate anything you could buy for the same price.

Share This Page