What's new

Challenge for DVD-a/SACD fanatics!!! (1 Viewer)

EricK

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
OK gentlemen....start your engines.
I just picked up a copy of the "Footloose" soundtrack on SACD. I noticed that there is "Waiting For A Girl Like You" by Foreigner on it.
Also note that Foreigner "4" is availible on dvd-audio now too. On "4" is the same track "Waiting..."
For those with both discs...which "Waiting..." do you think sounds better? dvd-a or sacd?
My take...:) I am very undecided right now. They both sound really really good. I look foward to hearing from Keith, RicP and Michael...and of course anyone else who can comment!
Eric.

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
EricK,

The catch is we don't know that these two cuts came from the same masters.

Without that key bit of info it's a fun, but suspect, experiment.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Eric, John is right. It is still a fun exercise, nonetheless. Note also that in comparing the two discs, we are using different players too. I wouldn't consider the APEX AD-7701 universal unit sufficient for any real listening, and the Pioneer Elite DV-47A isn't out yet. So, we have to use different players. That said, I have listened to both versions, and I prefer the SACD track. However, the DVD-Audio track sounds great too. Anyway, my conclusion is flawed for the reasons stated above.

I posted a question like yours on Audio Asylum a couple of months ago and only got a couple responses. That's an audiophile board, and a '70s-'80s rock band like Foreigner isn't too popular with that crowd.

RicP

Screenwriter
I did this comparison but as was said before, the tracks most likely came from two different masters.

The SACD track most likely came from the DSD stream of the 2-channel master of the "Footloose" soundtrack, while the DVD-A was completely remastered specifically for that release.

I'd probably say this one is too close to call in terms of which is "better". They're both different, the DVD-A mix sounds cleaner and crisper, while the version on the SACD sounds fuller and warmer to me. Both have their good points, but until we get the same track from the same master on both formats, a true "codec only" comparison cannot be done.

EricK

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
Guys...you are all right!
When I posted this last night, I was just so excited that a "popular" rock song was availible in the two formats thatI hadn't thought about original masters, and the fact that you needed seperate players (unless one has the Pioneer ax10?) since it is the stereo track that we are concerned with.
But alas, as John said
it's a fun, but suspect, experiment

Brian-W

Screenwriter
Pioneer Elite DV-47A isn't out yet
Just got back from Taiwan and bought this player (DV-S733). Comes with 1 manual that has "DV-S733A" and "Elite DV-47A" on the cover. The only differences were a couple of extra buttons on the remote.
Anyway, I've got Footloose SACD, and will get the DVD-A and check it out. Glad someone posted this, as I was thinking the same thing.
However, the comparisons that were done, was the Foreigner DVD-A 2 channel or multi-channel? I was under the impression it is a multi-channel release.

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Brian,

I don't have the Foreigner disc, but based on other issues from the same time frame it will have a dedicated stereo mix, most likely a 24bit/96k one.

Regards,

EricK

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
Foreigner "4" definitely has surround and 2 channel adv. rez tracks...

Eric.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks