What's new

Cerwin-Vega's new CMX series - high WAF and a $X,XXX(!!) price tag (1 Viewer)

stvnqn

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve
How many watts do you have to power the cmx-210 I only have a small Yamaha 100w and was told that will not drive them

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Those speakers have a 93dB efficiency and have powered woofers which further reduces the strain on your receiver.

I would think those speakers would be easy to drive with modest power. A 100 wpc receiver should do just fine.

stvnqn

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve
Thanks Jason, I called the C-V rep yesterday and he said that you need to over power them and use no less then 350w.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Hmm, the rep told you that you needed power input that is 100 watts higher than the rated power handling for the speaker? You might want to inform him that their product documentation is incorrect: here.

I suppose, that is the very definition of "over power".

So, how exactly are you going to provide 350 watts per channel? No integrated receiver comes close to that - so I guess those speakers require an expensive separates system. Also, at 120 volts, that works out to a power draw of almost 3 amps per channel. You should hire an electrician to run a dedicated circuit to your listening room.

Seriously, that's insane.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
stvnqn said:
Thanks Jason, I called the C-V rep yesterday and he said that you need to over power them and use no less then 350w.
Then every time you turn the volume down you would be under powering them.

nilesh202

Auditioning
Real Name
nilesh
I am looking to build 9.2 powerful home theater system in my basement using Denon AVR-4311 CI 9.2 receiver and CV CMX 212 and other CV bookshelf speakers. (I know that CMX 212 has inbuilt woofer)
Anyone has recommendation? Thx in advance.

Number1AVdork

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Umberto Smith
Cerwin Vega speakers play very loud and require very little amplifier power. I drove my Cerwin Vega speakers to absurdly loud volumes with a 20 watt NAD 3020.
The problem with Cerwin Vega speakers is that you don't need to spend more to get better out of the Cerwin Vega line up. A mid level Cerwin Vega and a high level Cerwin Vega is going to have that classic Cerwin Vega sound. You either love it or hate it. If you want more of that Cerwin Vega sound you can get larger Cerwin Vega speakers but it won't make the midrange and unbalanced frequency response any better.
The same could be said about bose...Love em or hate em. There are many greater performing speakers on the market that don't cost an arm and a leg. There is no need to refer to people as snobbish who bash Bose or Cerwin Vega...The point is the market has many competitive products that can easily outperform Cerwin Vega or Bose for a fraction of the cost.
If you want a speaker to play insanely loud without having to shell out big bucks for a massive amp Cerwin Vega will do it. For the money I think the Klipsch Forte is a much better speaker and it will always have a higher re-sale value than Cerwin Vega.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks