What's new

Cerwin Vega! FE12" 300 watts, need receiver suggestions. (1 Viewer)

I am completely happy with the way this receiver makes my speakers sound. However, I cannot figure out how to see the OSD. I have tried the suggested yellow composite to monitor out and it desn't show me anything. I tried it with an additional HDMI cord. But to be honest there are just so many options on the back of the receiver AND LCD for that matter that I get lost in just hwo to connest it.

It's really not a HUGE deal since I was able to change all the needed settings using the receiver's one line display. I got the setting to large, turned speakers "A" on and "B" off, tweaked the treble and bass just right. Everything is fine on the "Two speaker stereo and receiver" side of things which is most important BUT I can't get the sound of the LCD TV to go to the Cerwins. I had it working then I must of changed some setting and lost that connection. Shame because the sound from the speakers sound ten times better than the TV's sound output.

I guess what I am saying is I have what I bought the receiver for BUT now knowing it can do so much more and for some reason I cannot get to it is bothering me.

Originally Posted by gene c

Is it just the On Screen Display (menu) that doesn't work or you can't get a picture thru hdmi from your dvd player either?

Just to be clear, you need to hook a composite or component cable from the receivers "Monitor Out" to the tv's input in order to see the receivers menu.
Nothing seems to work.

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
Exactly what model LCD are you trying to connect? What DVD? Which jacks are you using now?

The "monitor out" is the lower left corner of the bank of yellow composite connections. That should go to a video in on the LCD. You'll also have to change the LCD to that input.

For sound from the TV, it depends if you using the TV's tuner (hooked straight to antenna/cable) or a cable box. If you are using the TV's tuner use the optical out to one of the optical inputs (best), or use red/white RCA from something marked "audio out" to an input on the Pioneer. If cable box, hook the audio straight from the cable box to the receiver.

It's a 37" Sylvania with a built-in DVD player and I did plug the composite into the yellow Monitor out on the Receiver and the side of the LCD Video 2 composite plug. But scrolling through the input showed no menu. It there something on the receiver OR remote control that would need to be pressed to make that menu appear?

Uh huh! I got it to work, somehow using video 2 but the trick is the receiver has to be turned off first and when you turn it back on the menu is there.

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
On the remote, hitting "receiver" (to make sure it's in receiver control mode rather than for controlling other components) then "setup" should be enough to bring up the menu, without power cycling.

Geez, thanks guys, looks like I had a problem with the plugs, I love how the menu from the iPod shows up on the screen and I can scroll through songs, and artists, instead of just shuffling the songs like I was before. Awesome to see it on the TV, It shows all the info that's on the iPod screen!!! Pretty cool and makes it much easier to navigate my music. This receiver rocks!

Also, one of the settings was how far away are you from the speakers one said 5 feet, the other said 1 foot 3 inches!? What that was about I don't know but I changed them both to 15 feet which is about where i sit from them on the sectional. And somehow it broadened the sound. Deeper, fuller, I even thought i had the sub turned off but it was on and when I switched it off it opened my bass on the speakers up and THAT sounded like the Cerwin Vega speakers I wanted to buy, the deep bass. I'm very happy I had you guys help.

No I didnt I set it on top of the receiver, lol. I wondered why the cord on the Mic was like 20 feet long! I'm listening to it now at like 40 and it just sounds so good now! I must say receivers have come along way from just sticking the wires in the back of them and screwing them down, turning it on and listening. This is a very precise musical experience. What a great receiver. Good god do all the new ones do all this "prep" work first?!

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
MCACC is your friend . Learn about it and try it. If you don't like it, turn it off*. At least it will get the levels and distance right.

*You may not like it because it will tame that "Cerwin Vega sound". The "boomy-ness' of the bass will be gone (or greatly reduced).

Interesting. I just don't want it to take my bass away from my Vega's. I like my music with lots of clear bass. When I turn on Mccac it, well actually, I have never set it up right so maybe it wouldnt do it at my distance from the unit. Maybe the bass would stay there. When I did the original automatic setup i set it on top of the receiver when it sent the static set of sounds. lol. Maybe that's why one of my settings had one speaker at 1 foot 7 inches and the other at like 5 feet. That's exactly true. The one speaker is closer to the receivers placemtn and the other on the otherside of my LCD.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
The thing about these automatic setup programs is that you have to follow the procedure to the letter. Moving the mic a few inches this way or that can have a big effect on the result. And make sure your room is as quiet as possible like turning off your refrigerator (don't forget to turn it back on when you're done!), putting "Fido" outside for a bit and sending your annoying, nosey next door neighbor to the store for some drinks and chips.

I prefer to set things up myself but I always run the auto setup just to see what it comes up with. The nice thing about MCACC (and others except H/K's EZSet) is you can see the results and use them as a guide. If you don't like the way it sounds, try it again.

Originally Posted by gene c

The thing about these automatic setup programs is that you have to follow the procedure to the letter. Moving the mic a few inches this way or that can have a big effect on the result. And make sure your room is as quiet as possible like turning off your refrigerator (don't forget to turn it back on when you're done!), putting "Fido" outside for a bit and sending your annoying, nosey next door neighbor to the store for some drinks and chips.

I prefer to set things up myself but I always run the auto setup just to see what it comes up with. The nice thing about MCACC (and others except H/K's EZSet) is you can see the results and use them as a guide. If you don't like the way it sounds, try it again.
Gene C.
I see in your signature you have most if not all the Pioneer "Elite" components. I saw them in Best Buy when I bought my Pioneer VSX 819 H for $299. The "Elites" all seemed to be around $600, and I looked at the feature list on the cards and they seemed very much the same. As an owner of the Eiltes what do you think the differences are? I was planning on buying the Eilte Blu-Ray from Pioneer. Do you own that one?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
My Pioneer Elite stuff is from a few years ago which I've purchased used over the last year or two. It would be hard to compare mine to what's available today with tha way things have changed but the main differences between the Elite and the standard line are more features (many that I haven't even used yet), better internal and external parts like power supplies, digital to analog converters, signal processors, a more advanced version of MCACC, bigger binding posts, a fancier cabinet, better remote, etc. You get the idea. Without sounding "uppity" think Cadillac vs. Chevy. The Elites also come with a two year warranty. But so does Onkyo, I think.

My Pioneer BluRay player is from the standard line, not the Elite. The only real differences between The Pioneer BPD-51 and the Elite BDP-05 is the 05 has a better analog (component) video section and a better feel to the knobs and controls. And of course it has an orange display instead of white. The digital section of the video and the audio sections are basically the same (the two players are almost identicle) so I didn't see the need to spend the extra $250-300. If I were you I wouldn't spend the extra money on an Elite BR player. Either get the Standard model, a Panasonic/Samsung/LG or for about the same money as the Elite look into the OPPO-83. It's probably the best all-around BR player on the market (within reason) for $499.

uh oh, i unpliugged the rca cord from the back of the reciever. I dont know where to replug it to the RC, its ok on the TV Video 2 output. ANy suggestions?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks