1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Center speaker thoughts please.

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by joedaddy5771, Oct 25, 2013.

1. joedaddy5771

joedaddy5771 Active Member

I am currently using a definitive technology CLR 2500 powered center with DT XTR-50's as my fronts. Do you think I would be better served with another XTR-50 as my center? I am happy with the sound but just reading allot about keeping your front 3 the same

2. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    Both speakers use the same 1" pure aluminum dome.

I doubt there is much audio difference beyond the flat vs box design of the speakers themselves. If you moved the 2500 to your left or right and put one of your current XTR there to try to see if you'd notice a difference...that is what it would probably take.

3. Type A

Type A HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

Ty
    I would experiment first. Try listening to some familiar music and process in all channel stereo. Is the sound coming from the front stage seamless, a wall of sound thats really hard to localize? Or can you tell a difference between the mains to center speaker and youre easily able to localize the source of the sound from each speaker? If so change the toe of your mains and see if you can make it sound completely seamless and hard to localize. If you cant make it completely seamless you might benefit.

However its also important to get the same radiation pattern from all the speakers, would you be orienting your new center the same as your mains (Im assuming your mains are vertical)? If your center would be horizontal and your mains vertical Im not sure I would bother. Have you read this post by Big Daddy on why this orientation is significant?

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=89614

Additional reading from audioholics, in case you missed it...

http://www.audioholics.com/loudspeaker-design/vertical-vs-horizontal-speaker-designs

4. joedaddy5771

Thank you good read. On my day off, Sunday I will switch them and see(hear)

5. joedaddy5771

How much do you think the powered sub in the center contributes to the sound? I will experiment but just wanted some input

6. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Premium
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    I would go and listen to several center channels but I might suggest the Definitive Tech CS-8040HD center channel.