What's new

center channel location, custom built in, ideas.....thoughts.....help...... (1 Viewer)

Sandor

Auditioning
I am unfortunately giving up my floor standing speakers and moving my tv viewing to a more cozy room. I used to have a dedicated TV room, but think Ill spend more time in the family room in my new house. Giving up my Mirage FRX series setup to probably go with B&W bookshelves. Was using a Pioneer Elite from years ago, considering stepping up to seperate amp/processor. Anyway.....I am really not sure what to do about my center channel location. Doesnt seem like I have much room below the TV. Going to do a 50" plasma above fireplace. Am I going to hate that idea....I know its not optimal ear level, but will I still get good performance if I have it facing me at the couch?

Currently My fireplace looks like this the top pic, but will eventually look like the below picture. I have taken off the mantel, and lowered the bring about 4 sections so the TV will sit a tad lower now. Any ideas of thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
My neck can't handle looking up all of the time, so I scraped the above the fireplace location. I have a similar room setup, and decided to rotate the system so the TV is not above the fireplace. My TV is against the wall on a stand that also holds my equipment and center channel instead. In your picture above, my TV would be on the left. That way, I could put the TV at a better viewing angle, and the speakers at closer to the optimum ear level. I also placed better light stopping curtains on the window, so it would not reflect off of the screen. I ran the rear speaker cables under the house and into a connection boxs that show up on the wall on the right hand side. The rear speakers are on stands behind the couch.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
TVs above the fireplace seem like a good idea until they are actually there. Between heat and neck aches its not worth it.

t1mberwolf

Auditioning
Real Name
Tim
Have to agree, loved the look of mine above the fireplace but sore neck had to take it down. Unless you can get your seeting back far enough i wouldn't suggest going above the fireplace.

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
I have an arrangement similar to picture 1. I mounted my 52" LCD so that the bottom of the screen is about 1/2" above the frame of my fire place screen. That puts the bottom of the screen about 2" above what most 28" TV are. Since I don't use my fireplace this arrangement works great for me as it gives me the best location for viewing and front front stage speaker placement.

Sandor

Auditioning
cb750....

how far from the floor to the bottom of the tv screen are ya, can you shoot me a measurment? are you ok with the viewing angle, is your neck killing ya????

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks