What's new

center channel 10db lower then the other speakers (1 Viewer)

slipchuck

Grip
Real Name
randy
I have a yamaha rxv363 reciever and the center channel is 10db lower. I have the surround etc at min level (-5db) and center at full (+5db)
when I measure with an SPL meter the center is still 4-5db lower.

any thoughts appreciated

thanks

randy

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Are your front speakers a matched set (i.e. same manufacturer and same line)?

Have you doublechecked the polarity of the speaker wire connections at both the speaker and receiver ends? By the same token, if it can easily be swapped out, try a new run of speaker wire if there's a chance the current wire has been compromised.

Is there any sort of dynamic range control that may be inadvertently on?

If all else fails, you could try resetting the receiver to factory defaults, though if you've done extensive setup/configuration of your audio/video inputs, it could be a bit of a pain.

Frank A

Stunt Coordinator
Have you physically changed the settings? I assume you have since you have a meter? I don't have a Yamaha (anymore), but reading db's sometimes can be confusing. For instance, my volume setting reads in decibals, although there are no "+" db's, they are all negative (-). What I am getting at, a -30 decibel volume setting on my avr is not as loud (lower volume) as a, say -20 db reading. My db reading will only go to 0 (zero), the loudest and not into plus db readings, so this may be of no consequence. Just a thought.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
What type of meter? Does it have C weighted measurement? What is your source of the tones? Calibration DVD or internal receiver tones?

slipchuck

Grip
Real Name
randy
Originally Posted by Robert_J

What type of meter? Does it have C weighted measurement? What is your source of the tones? Calibration DVD or internal receiver tones?
I have a radio shack meter and yes it was on C weight, fast response. the tones were coming from the yamaha test tones {internal reciever)

frank

yes I did change the physical db according to having all speakers (except sub as I like it 15db higher) the same test tone db output.

jason

I have checked all the cables, polarity etc. the only dynamic range I can control is for all speakers, not just one.
putting back the reciever to factory defaults is simular to setting up the remote, and the receiver gives the "...NG error as I meantioned in my other post on how to get the remote programed.

thanks guys,

cheers

randy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks