What's new

Celery dipped in peanut butter: explain this to me (1 Viewer)

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
Ok so I was in my local Trader Joe's, which is a hippie grocery store for those that don't know, and I come across small packaged trays that contain celery and a small dipping cup of peanut butter. Normally I'd buy the carrot and ranch dressing version of these things but they were out so I thought, what the hell, experiment a little. Be bold. Even though I've never eaten celery dipped in peanut butter I thought it was time to try it.

I tried it last night. It wasn't the worst thing I've eaten but I still didn't get the appeal of eating celery dipped in peanut butter. I mean out of all the foods to combine, celery and peanut butter?

What am I missing? :confused:

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
We used to eat this as kids all of the time. Celery filled with PB and then raisins placed on top. I think they are called ants on a log.
Celery with Cheeze Whiz is pretty tasty too.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Hmmmmm, peanut butter. We used to eat this all the time as a kid, but without the raisins like Richard mentions. We also have Trader Joes around northern NJ. Been there, they have decent pre-made GORP and stuff like that for the granola crowd.

Jay

Jeremy Stockwell

Supporting Actor
Yeah, I've been eating celery w/ PB all my life.

Also, try PB on apple slices.

If you don't like PB on celery you probably won't like this either, but I like PB and dill pickle sandwiches.

:)

JKS

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
Ok, excuse my ignorance on this matter but would it be safe to say that eating celery and peanut butter together is an American/Canadian thing? :)

Having spent my youth in Australia that combo never presented itself. Although I can imagine celery and Vegemite(hated that stuff!).

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Ok so I was in my local Trader Joe's, which is a hippie grocery store for those that don't know
Hey, I spent 10 years of my life working up into management at those hippie stores. I am a TJ's food addict, they beat out any standard breed grocery store.

Peace Out~:D

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I think the whole thing has to do with nutrition. The celery is a vegetable, the raisins are fruit and the peanut butter is a protein.

These were popular snacks for children to give them something good and fun to eat without all the crap (that packaged snack foods contain)

StephenA

Screenwriter
My grandmother used to do the same thing as Richard mentioned for me when I went off to school. She also called it ants on a log. I don't know where it started or came from, bu I do think it's tasty.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Thread Drift!!!!

Peanut Butter and ice cream is my favorite, BTW..

And I hate those celery strings that always get caught in your teeth...

Jay

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Peanut Butter and Celery is quite good IMHO. I used to eat that alot as a kid.

Something my mother liked was Peanut Butter and Banana Sandwiches. I didn't like it but her and my brother did.

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
Hey, I spent 10 years of my life working up into management at those hippie stores. I am a TJ's food addict, they beat out any standard breed grocery store.
Oh I love TJ's, don't get me wrong! Every Sunday morning I'm there. The wine I often refer to is bought from there. I tried to find an appropriate term to describe them, like 'healthy food store' or something similar but somehow I arrived at 'hippie grocery store'. I basically am a hippie with my long hair and the music I listen to. :D

Ron, I've always heard that working at TJ's reaps many rewards in terms of monetary investments for their employees. I also heard they get paid a lot. Is any of that stuff true?

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
If you were to replace the celery with chocolate, you might just be onto something there. I may have to try that some time.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Gary, a hippie grocery store? I'd call Trader Joe's a faux trendy/California phenomenon, though I'd rate Whole Foods markets as far more pretentious and New Agey.

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
LOL ok ok bad choice of words. I've seen plenty of tattooed vixens and punk rockers in TJ's too so it's not exactly a pure hippie grocery store.

How about Funky Organic New Age Grocery Store? :D

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member

But ... but that's the best way to describe your typical Whole Foods "supermarket," where everything is overpriced and you can't even find a decent jar of Kraft Mayo (instead, and I'm not making this up, you can find soy-based "Goddess Mayonaise"). While all the women who frequent the two Whole Foods markets near me look as if they stepped out of a fashion magazine, the rest of the store is so damn offputting. Trader Joe's is so much better and in sync with reality. Hell, there's even a Trader Joe's opening in, of all places, Palmdale!

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
2 (of the 3) Trader Joes here in CT are in Yuppie towns (i.e. Darien and Norwalk).

It's not uncommon to see Hum V's and Beemers pulling into the parking lot.

EDIT 3 of the 5 (add Fairfield to the list)

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Ron, I've always heard that working at TJ's reaps many rewards in terms of monetary investments for their employees. I also heard they get paid a lot. Is any of that stuff true?
It's all very true. TJ's takes very good care of all their employees, even the PT's get excellent wages and raises can be had every 3 months. Add to that the health coverage and 401k plans, it's a great company to work for. I got out to peruse a different career, but managers at most stores will pull-in between 110k-150k easily, plus yearly bonuses. I attribute all this to it still being a family owned company, if the unions took over (which they tried to do while I was there) it would not be nearly as great a place to work for.

Peace Out~:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks