What's new

Cedia 2011 HD VideoPodcast: Monster (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

Home Theater Forum visits with the folks at Monster Cable who introduce us to their Clarity HD Model One powered loudspeakers. We also take a look at the Powernet Powerline technology which allows for high quality ethernet over existing power lines.

lvicious

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lance G
Thank you for this. I am currently finishing moving in to my new home. It's a bit of a pain though for installers.. some of which I had come out to preview the place first for wiring. I had planned on installing some of the wiring myself including my Cat6 throughout the house upstairs and several rooms downstairs and outside by the covered hot tub/patio. Plus I have no attic or basement.

They immediately brought up the Monster Powernet 200. I saw online there is a 300 model out now so why they did not discuss that I do not know. I watched the above video and have read reviews both good and bad so I wanted any opinions or feedback from HTF members even if you do not own either of the 2 models.

I've always been a strict wired guy in my homes and I only do wireless on my iphone/pad and a laptop if I need to and I do not stream movies anywhere and I do gaming and I have a home server that I use extensively to watch bluray movies and listen to music via my htpc's. Even though it is running over my electrical lines I still have doubts about anything that is not wired in from point A to point B.

Saving money however nice that always is .. is not my main goal here. I just want to know how this option would compare to being wired in and what I could expect.

Thank you

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Lance,

I cannot speak for the Monster powernet equipment as

I do not own it.

However, I use The Western Digital Livewire powerline in

my home and it works rather well in supplying Internet
across the house where I could not get CAT5 installed.

I would think this technology will work well for you. For

most people, it does.

You do need to be careful, however. If both plugs you

are using are on separate circuit breakers the powerline

technology will not work. We had an addition put in our

home so there is a separate circuit breaker. There was

only certain plugs I was able to use for the transmitter

and receiver.

Please let us know how it works out for you. Thanks.

lvicious

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lance G
Thank you for the reply and the heads up on the separate breakers. There are rooms I can run Cat so I will follow suit and for those that just can't be done or too much of a pain I will look into either of these products.

I just read that link you provided and my ISP does not do the cat cabling I need done but like you I found someone who can do it for basically same price for various units so I am going wired

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Lance,

That's great news. Better to do the cat cabling when possible.

Happy to assist.

...and welcome to the forum. Hope you stick around!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks