What's new

CBS Status Report (2 Viewers)

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Updated to reflect today's Laverne and Shirley announcement. I am still leaving Cannon in the "continuing" category because it hasn't been a year since the last release and MOD titles don't always have the same lead time on announcements. But even I realize it is getting close to the time to put it back under "stalled." I have indicated the number of remaining seasons (or releases for those series distributed in volumes) in parentheses. Continuing: Gentle Ben (1 season)Becker (1 season) Laverne and Shirley (1 season)Cannon (2 seasons)Rawhide (2 seasons; 3 releases) Dynasty (2 seasons; 4 releases) Petticoat Junction (4 seasons)The Beverly Hillbillies (5 seasons)Bonanza (8 seasons; 16 releases) Gunsmoke (11 seasons; 22 releases) Stalled: Mork and Mindy (1 season) Dave's World (1 season)Caroline in the City (2 seasons) One Step Beyond (2 seasons) Matt Houston (2 seasons) Early Edition (2 seasons) The Phil Silvers Show (3 seasons) Nash Bridges (3 seasons) Evening Shade (3 seasons) Jake and the Fatman (3 seasons; 6 releases) Hotel (4 seasons) Sister, Sister (4 seasons)Love, American Style (4 seasons; 8 releases) Moesha (5 seasons) Happy Days (7 seasons) Barnaby Jones (7 seasons; 14 releases) The Love Boat (7 seasons; 14 releases) My Three Sons (10 seasons; 20 releases) Licensed:Webster (2 seasons)

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
CBS execs planning session: OK guys, instead of releasing the rest of this iconic sitcom, let keep it stalled and release the inferior spin-off instead. They got one hell of a brain trust at CBS, I'll say that.
On a similar note, unless you are a completest or a true L&S fan, the last 2 seasons are garbage.

Needless to say, this two announcements do not make me salivate.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Frank Soyke said:
CBS execs planning session: OK guys, instead of releasing the rest of this iconic sitcom, let keep it stalled and release the inferior spin-off instead. They got one hell of a brain trust at CBS, I'll say that.
On a similar note, unless you are a completest or a true L&S fan, the last 2 seasons are garbage.

Needless to say, this two announcements do not make me salivate.
I'd love to see the rest of Happy Days. It's a nightmare musically, though. I'm not as big on Laverne and Shirley but I might pick it up eventually. Joanie Loves Chaci I definitely want on DVD, though. I don't remember a whole lot about it but I still want it. I have a later Happy Days episode on VHS where Al proposed to and married Chaci's mother and the episode centered around the 4 of them mainly (with a little bit of Fonzie) and I loved it.

MattPriceTime

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Price
They might also be hoping the spinoff seasons can bring them some more capital to finish off the main show's music issues. It sucks that means less popular runs get out first, but does make sense. However i beg the question if they run out of Happy Days spinoff seasons...will the good-to-laught-at animated ones also get released before Happy Days finishes? XD

TV_Fan

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris H
I'm really surprised Joanie Loves Chachi is coming out before the last season of Mork & Mindy :eek:

yyz2ams

Auditioning
Real Name
Bonita
I am really hoping...Barnaby Jones is coming up soon for release, all 8 seasons...bring it on. The rest of the seasons of Cannon would be nice too.

MattPriceTime

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Price
Given past history, the stalling to farm money to fix problems theory makes a lot more sense to the "let's make money on everything we've got" folks at WB then it may the "how about we just do cheap fixes and hope the fans don't get mad with what we do give them" folks at CBS....

But given these are dvd producers and not leopards, maybe there's some room for some changed spots? XD

TV_Fan

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris H
rmw650 said:
Is it true that one specific song in one of those episodes of the last season of Mork and Mindy is the main cause for this being held up? Hell, it didn't stop them before from releasing set shows with music issues as they just went ahead and subbed the music for generic ones, so just sub the thing and allow fans of the show to finish this series off for their respective collections.
I doubt that's true. More likely than not it was just poor sales on the last season. I'm thinking with the passing of Jonathan Winters & Robin Williams return to TV we'll probably see the final season sooner rather than later. This is just my feeling.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Updated to reflect today's Gentle Ben announcement.Continuing: Becker (1 season) Laverne and Shirley (1 season)Cannon (2 seasons)Rawhide (2 seasons; 3 releases) Dynasty (2 seasons; 4 releases) Petticoat Junction (4 seasons)The Beverly Hillbillies (5 seasons)Bonanza (8 seasons; 16 releases) Gunsmoke (11 seasons; 22 releases) Stalled: Mork and Mindy (1 season) Dave's World (1 season)Caroline in the City (2 seasons) One Step Beyond (2 seasons) Matt Houston (2 seasons) Early Edition (2 seasons) The Phil Silvers Show (3 seasons) Nash Bridges (3 seasons) Evening Shade (3 seasons) Jake and the Fatman (3 seasons; 6 releases) Hotel (4 seasons) Sister, Sister (4 seasons)Love, American Style (4 seasons; 8 releases) Moesha (5 seasons) Happy Days (7 seasons) Barnaby Jones (7 seasons; 14 releases) The Love Boat (7 seasons; 14 releases) My Three Sons (10 seasons; 20 releases) Licensed:Webster (2 seasons)

Tooncy

Second Unit
I know a lot of people have issues with the CBS release schedule. What they seem to be doing is waiting as seasons of various series are remastered into HD before just throwing stuff out there. That takes time. Just look at the long stall until the latest Beverly Hillbillies and Petticoat Junction sets came out. I never dreamed those shows could ever look so good. Worth the wait, if you ask me.

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
The CBS syndication bible is listing a new revision date of November 19th but I can't seem to find anything new. Just for the hell of it, I looked up Hillbillies and PJ, but no dice there.

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Frank Soyke said:
The CBS syndication bible is listing a new revision date of November 19th but I can't seem to find anything new. Just for the hell of it, I looked up Hillbillies and PJ, but no dice there.
No Barnaby Jones update either :(

Tooncy

Second Unit
I highly doubt that the updates are accurate. Joanie Loves Chachi is on the release schedule, yet it's not listed as being transferred into HD. I don't think they'd do that.

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tooncy said:
I highly doubt that the updates are accurate. Joanie Loves Chachi is on the release schedule, yet it's not listed as being transferred into HD. I don't think they'd do that.
But is it in HD? Gentle Ben wasn't HD from reviews I've read. Cannon, at least one of the seasons, wasn't HD. They also had the issue with a season of Hawaii Five-0 not being HD.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Ron1973 said:
But is it in HD? Gentle Ben wasn't HD from reviews I've read. Cannon, at least one of the seasons, wasn't HD. They also had the issue with a season of Hawaii Five-0 not being HD.
There was also a season of Bonanza and Rawhide not remastered in HD. In those cases I think they were rushing to meet demand, but found out later most would rather wait. In other cases I'm betting they just didn't think the future syndication market would be strong enough for the expense (Gentle Ben)

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
There must be a purpose behind every remaster I'd say, either a broadcast or DVD release, other studios don't care much for their archives (too expensive or see no reason to bother) but CBS is a top serious studio for this task. As comparison take Universal, their Six Million Dollar Man remasters aren't too hot looking, in my opinion, but it also depends on the state of the source material of course. It's hopefully a good sign, when a show gets the HD treatment and I'd pick up Barbary Coast right away. Seems to me they're doing this to many titles now, it's just never known until after the fact.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Updated to reflect today's Rawhide announcement.Continuing: Rawhide (1 season)Becker (1 season) Laverne and Shirley (1 season)Cannon (2 seasons)Dynasty (2 seasons; 4 releases) Petticoat Junction (4 seasons)The Beverly Hillbillies (5 seasons)Bonanza (8 seasons; 16 releases) Gunsmoke (11 seasons; 22 releases) Stalled: Mork and Mindy (1 season) Dave's World (1 season)Caroline in the City (2 seasons) One Step Beyond (2 seasons) Matt Houston (2 seasons) Early Edition (2 seasons) The Phil Silvers Show (3 seasons) Nash Bridges (3 seasons) Evening Shade (3 seasons) Jake and the Fatman (3 seasons; 6 releases) Hotel (4 seasons) Sister, Sister (4 seasons)Love, American Style (4 seasons; 8 releases) Moesha (5 seasons) Happy Days (7 seasons) Barnaby Jones (7 seasons; 14 releases) The Love Boat (7 seasons; 14 releases) My Three Sons (10 seasons; 20 releases) Licensed:Webster (2 seasons)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks