1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

CBS Status Report

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by FanCollector, Aug 7, 2012.

1. FanCollector

FanCollector Well-Known Member

Lee
    Definitely a CBS property. I simply forgot to include it originally. The list has been corrected.

2. Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley Well-Known Member

I don't see what the lawsuit has to do with stalling Family Ties. Unless the Milton Berle theme appeared in seasons 6 and 7???

3. skees53

skees53 Well-Known Member

I don't think it has anything to do with it either (although there have been "conspiracy theorists" who say otherwise)... I was just mentioning it since CBS and Family Ties was brought up. Honestly I don't think any of those lawsuits which CBS has faced... and there've been plenty... are the reasoning behind any of the stalling, but it just makes it sound like a better reason to stall a series than to consider what other factors may be in play (i.e. sales figures, music replacement, etc.). After all, Mannix faced the same type of lawsuit that Happy Days faced, but Mannix still kept going strong on DVD, most likely due to stronger sales and few (if any) music issues.

4. dhammer

dhammer Well-Known Member

David
    Another observation. In the first season and maybe later, a lot of people make some wise crack about his weight. Sometimes he also fun of it. I guess the country was a lot thinner at that time. In America today practically all adults are overweight and many are obese. I don't his weight would be any issue if it were made today.

5. FanCollector

Lee
    America as a whole may be...larger today, but with all the crime shows on television now, how many heroes look like William Conrad? He would still stand out physically. And look at one of the few shows starring overweight actors, Mike and Molly. Their weight formed the whole premise of the show and there are constant jokes about it. Perhaps Cannon's weight shouldn't be an issue for viewers today, but I suspect it would be.

6. Neil Brock

Neil Brock Well-Known Member

I can tell you that The Magician is one of the shows that has been under consideration for release. Whether or not they actually do it or not, I have no idea, but since it was remastered for SciFi Channel for the run there in the 90s, they don't have to do any additional work on it.

7. The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man Well-Known Member

Robert
    Speaking of never released possibilities for MOD, what about When Things Were Rotten?
    That one was rumored for release a couple years back, even getting as far as a news item on TVSOD, and a release date, price, and pre-order page on Amazon before disappearing back into the ether.

8. WaveCrest

WaveCrest Well-Known Member

Richard
    Lee, it's a bit vague how you've worded something in the starter post. Are you talking about CBS shows or CBS/P titles? Early Edition is a stalled series with only the first two seasons (of four in total) to date having been released on Region 1 DVD.

9. WaveCrest

Richard

Received info, an answer to a question posted on the Warner Archive's Facebook page? Even though Knots aired on CBS, it's a Warner Brothers title.

10. FanCollector

Lee
    Sorry for the confusion, Richard. The corporate split makes it so much harder to discuss the subject! I amended the initial post to include Paramount. Thank you for bringing Early Edition to my attention. It is now on the list.

11. WaveCrest

Richard
    Referring to my previous post (post #29 on page 1 of this thread), apologies if I sounded a bit harsh Paul. There was an update on the Warner Archive's Facebook page recently about Knots Landing.

12. Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley Well-Known Member

I think that one year from today that about ten of the shows in the OP will be completed, and maybe then they can continue on with some of the long-stalled shows. CBS is known for suddenly pulling long-stalled shows out of nowhere. The only ones I don't expect to see are the ones where music is a problem. And even still, they might manage to work something out.
    CBS/Paramount is obviously still committed to the tv-on-dvd game, as evidenced by the many, many releases they've offered this year alone. And every set they put out is a minor victory for fans of this particular medium.

13. derosa

derosa Well-Known Member

With so many CBS announcements about stalled shows getting upcoming releases,
    it's both encouraging and frustrating for fans of Love Boat that no news on that show
    has come yet. What could CBS have in mind? Is it possible that anything more than
    than the continuation of half season sets is coming? Maybe a complete series in
    two volumes? Fingers crossed.

14. Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis Well-Known Member

[​IMG] I'm with you on this one. Hope we'll see it continuing soon.

15. WaveCrest

Richard
    Gotta love that boat smiley Jeff. Well fingers crossed the Love Boat sets sail again in the not too distant future. (decided to get the rest of the first season of the show).

EDIT: Got 'avatar' and 'smiley' mixed up.

16. lj01

lj01 Active Member

Lyle
    Seems like now would be a good time for it, especially given the fact that it has been remastered already (at least seasons 3-7 have) and as well with the recently-continued releases of Fantasy Island (different studio and all, of course, but I think most people associate the two shows as companion pieces), now would seem to be as good a time as ever.

17. phenri

phenri Well-Known Member

Paul
    The announcement of the release of Cannon Season 3 has me dreaming of my holy grail of stalled CBS shows; Barnaby Jones. They did such a terrific job with the 13 episode first season, that I've been left begging for more ever since.
    Maybe CBS will keep releasing more seasons of all of their stalled shows and make everyone happy.
    I don't know why Love Boat hasn't seen a release lately. That would make a logical choice for continuance at this time.
    I'm all in for that one!

18. younger1968

younger1968 Well-Known Member

paul young
    It is strange that Fantasy Island has seasons coming out and nothing for love boat. The Love Boat and Fantasy Island should have similar following as they were shown back to back in the 1970s and early 1980s.
    I am looking forward to Cannon as i have S1/S2 on dvd. I like William Conrad as burly/overweight ex cop turn PI. I also hope that they also bring out more of Jake and the Fatman as well.

19. HenryDuBrow

HenryDuBrow Well-Known Member

Henry.
    That is good to know, thanks. It looks almost like they are 'doing a Warner', certain top shows stay on traditional DVD while everything else remastered or not from the archives is for MOD now. We'll see. As for Cannon, it's probably not remastered but the S3 & beyond episodes I have all look better than S1-2 anyway so it's not too bad.

20. derosa

derosa Well-Known Member

That's how I plan to rewatch them when we finally have the DVDs of both series.
    I've collected a lot of ABC promos from youtube, the ones with Ernie Anderson
    doing the voice overs for Saturday nights with Love Boat and Fantasy Island.