What's new

CBS Press Release: The Beverly Hillbillies Season 4 (1 Viewer)

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Ron1973 said:
On another note, I stopped in Walmart today (had to buy ink cartridges). They already had tags for both Hillbillies and Petticoat Junction. Actually, PJ had two slots. One said S3 and the other said something about "1 and 2" so I'm thinking the earlier seasons might be available tomorrow, too.
Yep. Walmart is getting an "exclusive" two pack bundle of PJ S1 and 2, which will cost only 20 bucks.

So, if someone sees that and S3, they can get all three seasons for 40 bucks.

Good way to get rid of inventory and drum up sales.

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
I also noticed the new stand-alone TV section at Wal-Mart. I saw the first 2 seasons of PJ there already and plan to go there after work tonight to pick-up S4 of BH and S3 of PJ. I've been waiting a long time for these to finally be released! Has anybody got their new sets yet?

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
I just checked the USPS tracking site, and to my surprise it says my order is out for delivery today!
I'm really happy because I just ordered them last Wednesday and they originally said to expect around the 8th.
Hopefully, I can post a review later tonight! I'll probably dive into Petticoat Junction first because its my favorite.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
This is may be the best season of Petticoat Junction, because it's the only season in the original format (Betty Jo's still a tomboy, Steve hasn't shown up yet, Charley and Floyd are still a team, Billie Jo is still boy-crazy) that's in color. Next season starts the changes, many bringing new freshness to the storylines. But the deaths soon follow.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Mine are also out for delivery today! Beats the heck out of having to go to the store and pick them up! I really want to take the rest of the day off to go home and wait for the delivery. :D

I don't know if I'll open them right away because it's "Horror Movie Challenge" month and I pretty much watch nothing but horror movies all month but they'll be the first thing watched come November. :)

* Edit *

Well... I didn't take off (had some remote work that needed completing) but my copy was on the porch when I got home!

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
Let me be the first to talk about the quality. I just picked it up at W-M. I think everyone will be happy. Rich colors, excellent contrast, super clean. When's season five coming out? :)

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
I stayed at Walmart for 30 minutes while the associate tried to track down the two copies they showed to have-nothing. I went online to try to order and it's out of stock online. I have two other Walmart's I can try. There are several already on eBay but nothing for buy it now, at least not that I found earlier today. Some joker on Amazon is already selling a copy for $44.95.

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Update: I just went on eBay and scored a copy for $11.99 and $3 s/h!!! I KNEW there was a reason I couldn't find it!!!! :lol:

Reactions: EdG

PianoPlayer

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Larry
John Hermes said:
Let me be the first to talk about the quality. I just picked it up at W-M. I think everyone will be happy. Rich colors, excellent contrast, super clean. When's season five coming out? :)
I second that. Mine arrived yesterday and the quality is really great. My local stations rarely ran the color episodes -- when they did, the prints were faded and edited. The picture on these DVDs is almost good enough for me to forget there are no exterior shots of the mansion.

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Slightly off-topic, I also noticed S1 of Gomer Pyle, USMC was also there and it had an "exclusive for Walmart" sticker on it. That seems odd considering it still shows available through Amazon, albeit at a much lower price point via Wally World.

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
I found both BH & PJ at my local Wal-Mart this morning. They had several copies of each and they were even displayed correctly in the new release TV section. Hopefully the strong sales will lead to more seasons of these being released. Maybe this could even lead to the rest of Green Acres?!?

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Mr. Handley said:
I found both BH & PJ at my local Wal-Mart this morning. They had several copies of each and they were even displayed correctly in the new release TV section. Hopefully the strong sales will lead to more seasons of these being released. Maybe this could even lead to the rest of Green Acres?!?
As long as Fox has anything to do with it, I wouldn't hold my breath.

...although you would think the rest of Green Acres would be a no-brainer to be farmed out to TGG, as so much other MGM catalog stuff has been.

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
So I finally got my copy in the mail today and just finished off the first disc (with a Cardinals victory in between episodes!). Wow!!!

I've literally watched this show all of my life and I've NEVER saw it this crystal clear. The colors JUMP out at you. You can see the stubble on Jed's face, the 5 o'clock shadow on Jethro, Mr. Drysdale's hair piece and Elly in the bathing suit in the first episode......worth every penny!!!

It also would seem the audio was remastered, too. We always hear about the great video work done but the audio is certainly cleaned up compared to the Columbia House VHS copies I have.

CBS has did a swell job on this one. Here's hoping we get the rest of the seasons quickly!

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
Yep, the overall picture and audio quality are excellent on both the new PJ and BH sets. Seeing Mr. & Mrs. Douglas and Sam Drucker on PJ just makes me want the rest of Green Acres even more now!

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
I never was the biggest fan of Green Acres but I would certainly buy it if it were released all the way just because of the TBH/PJ connection.

shoeshineboy

Second Unit
Real Name
dan olson
Spent 30 minutes digging around the Bellingham store - what a mess! DVDs are basically limited to 3 shelves and the darn barrels; staff is both unprepared and unwilling ing to assist.... While I love the product (if I find it) and the price point, but there is a lot to hate about the Walmart shopping experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks