What's new

CBS Press Release: The Beverly Hillbillies Season 4 (1 Viewer)

PianoPlayer

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Larry
What really hurts Season 4 -- and all the other color seasons -- is the loss of location shooting of the mansion.

Seasons 1-3 made extensive use of the Kirkeby Mansion in Bel Air -- you'd see lots of shots of driving in and out of the gate, the lawn, etc. Some episodes actually filmed scenes with dialogue there.

According to Paul Henning, right before filming for Season 4 began TV Guide published the address of the real mansion. It was immediately besieged with tourists, and the owner stopped allowing the show to film there.

Even the closing credits had to be rethought -- instead of seeing the mansion and then the Clampetts walking out the front door, all you see is the door.

It's a real shame. Would've been great to see shots like this.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Sometime over the past week WM put free shipping to your home on TBH S4 and PJ S3 so I went ahead and ordered both. I was going to "cheap out" and just get them at the store (I'm about a quarter mile from a WM daily) but with free home shipping I couldn't resist. :D

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
BobO'Link said:
Sometime over the past week WM put free shipping to your home on TBH S4 and PJ S3 so I went ahead and ordered both. I was going to "cheap out" and just get them at the store (I'm about a quarter mile from a WM daily) but with free home shipping I couldn't resist. :D
Thanks! Ordered mine, too. I'd rather have them deliver to my home than having to drive to my nearest Walmart

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Sounds like what I might do, too. On the other hand, I have classes that day and I might be able to drive down to my local Wally World in between IF they have it out already.

dhammer

Second Unit
Real Name
David
Okay I decided to buy into this title. I see Season 2,3 and now 4 are being released. My question is do you have to buy The Ultimate Collection parts 1 and 2 to have all of the season 1 episodes? Thanks for your comments.

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
My understanding is that you do as well as the Christmas DVD.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
dhammer said:
Okay I decided to buy into this title. I see Season 2,3 and now 4 are being released. My question is do you have to buy The Ultimate Collection parts 1 and 2 to have all of the season 1 episodes? Thanks for your comments.
Ron1973 said:
My understanding is that you do as well as the Christmas DVD.
This exactly. Both "Ultimate Collections" and the Christmas DVD. You get some overlap with S2. Mill Creek has a BH set which *does* have that Christmas episode but it's missing several S1 episodes. Quality wise the MC set is watchable and *does* include the original theme song. I've yet to see/purchase either of the "Ultimate" sets but probably will at some time. I've been holding out hoping CBS would see fit to take over and just release a S1 set.

EdG

Stunt Coordinator
The Obsolete Man said:
Anyone else's S4 and Petticoat Junction S3 ship today?

I pre-ordered the first day these were available, and they shipped today with an estimated arrival of October 1.
Me too Robert. I also ordered on the first day.

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
I pre-ordered this past Wednesday with free shipping, and got a shipping notification today with an estimated arrival of October 8.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I remember ten years ago when I used to go to Sam's and they had two whole aisles crammed with DVD sets, many of them TV sets. Nowadays the pickings are pitiful at Sam's and most other brick-and mortar stores. This set will be a wondrous sight to see at my local Sam's. Here's hoping I am making several more trips over there to get the other seasons.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
My order, placed on the 24th, shipped today with a "arrives by October 3rd" date in the email. Checking the order status at walmart.com shows it is scheduled to arrive September 30th. It shipped via FedEx. That's quite impressive for free shipping!

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Carabimero said:
I remember ten years ago when I used to go to Sam's and they had two whole aisles crammed with DVD sets, many of them TV sets. Nowadays the pickings are pitiful at Sam's and most other brick-and mortar stores. This set will be a wondrous sight to see at my local Sam's. Here's hoping I am making several more trips over there to get the other seasons.
They still carry lots and lots of DVDs at my local Walmarts. Target carries a fairly good selection too. For some reason, they stopped selling many at Sam's. Maybe people who shopped their did not go their for those types of items.

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell
Since I'm a more recent convert to this show, maybe somebody can explain to me what the situation is with the Ultimate Collections for this show from MPI? And by that, I mean why some people are more hesitant about buying them, as I know about them being the only way that the first season has been released officially. Is the reason that the season is spread nevenly over three sets, or is it someother reasons besides?

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Astairefan said:
Since I'm a more recent convert to this show, maybe somebody can explain to me what the situation is with the Ultimate Collections for this show from MPI? And by that, I mean why some people are more hesitant about buying them, as I know about them being the only way that the first season has been released officially. Is the reason that the season is spread nevenly over three sets, or is it someother reasons besides?
It isn't spread really "neatly" per se. You get part of the first season with Volume 1, the rest with Volume 2 (other than the Christmas episode) but Volume 2 also overlaps with S2 of the CBS release. Then you have to buy a stand alone disc for the Christmas episode of S1.

The Ultimate Collection was sourced from the Henning's estate 16mm prints. The quality is probably better than the public domain releases (and contains the original music) but it isn't the next-to-pristine quality of the CBS releases.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
^This.

For me it's that the season is spread across 3 releases, one of which is 2 episodes of BH (one from S1 and one from S2) and 1 episode of PJ in a blantant money grab. You're basically paying $8+ for a single 30 minute episode to get a full BH S1. The second "Ultimate" set is only 9 episodes of S1. Then there are those 16mm "masters" MPI used. When you consider that in spite of the MPI PJ Ultimate set (admittedly only 20 episodes) and money grab Christmas disk, CBS released a full, restored, S1 of PJ I have trouble shelling out ~$31+ for sets to get a full copy of S1 of BH.

I have a Mill Creek set with much of S1 and, for now, it's "good enough". IIRC that MC set also has the original music on many, if not all of the episodes. I keep hoping CBS will break down and release a remastered "official" S1 but really doubt it'll happen. I figure I'll eventually break down and just purchase the MPI sets but I'll begrudge every $$ spent.

I feel the existence of these sets from MPI and that CBS did *not* release a "official" S1 set is part of why the series was stalled. Most people don't know about those MPI sets and, from what I've observed, will not jump into a series "in the middle" by starting with S2 unless they *really* like a series. They'll usually start with S1 and sales will taper off as the series progresses.

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
BobO'Link said:
^This.

For me it's that the season is spread across 3 releases, one of which is 2 episodes of BH (one from S1 and one from S2) and 1 episode of PJ in a blantant money grab. You're basically paying $8+ for a single 30 minute episode to get a full BH S1. The second "Ultimate" set is only 9 episodes of S1. Then there are those 16mm "masters" MPI used. When you consider that in spite of the MPI PJ Ultimate set (admittedly only 20 episodes) and money grab Christmas disk, CBS released a full, restored, S1 of PJ I have trouble shelling out ~$31+ for sets to get a full copy of S1 of BH.

I have a Mill Creek set with much of S1 and, for now, it's "good enough". IIRC that MC set also has the original music on many, if not all of the episodes. I keep hoping CBS will break down and release a remastered "official" S1 but really doubt it'll happen. I figure I'll eventually break down and just purchase the MPI sets but I'll begrudge every $$ spent.

I feel the existence of these sets from MPI and that CBS did *not* release a "official" S1 set is part of why the series was stalled. Most people don't know about those MPI sets and, from what I've observed, will not jump into a series "in the middle" by starting with S2 unless they *really* like a series. They'll usually start with S1 and sales will taper off as the series progresses.
I think I have the Christmas episode on VHS but I would have to check and see.

On another note, I stopped in Walmart today (had to buy ink cartridges). They already had tags for both Hillbillies and Petticoat Junction. Actually, PJ had two slots. One said S3 and the other said something about "1 and 2" so I'm thinking the earlier seasons might be available tomorrow, too. I stopped just short of outright begging the electronics associate to sell them to me today. She told me if I came back after midnight I could get them since it would technically be the 1st. :lol:

I also noticed a whole section of nothing but TV titles, most classic, and most all of them for $9.96. A huge majority were CBS releases (Hogan's Heroes, Hawaii Five-0, Lucy, Andy Griffith) so maybe Walmart and CBS have some new thing going.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks