What's new

CBS Press Release: The Beverly Hillbillies Season 4 (1 Viewer)

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
BobO'Link said:
And I saw this release in the "Bargain TV" free-standing rack for ~$10. At least it wasn't right next to the new release but I'm sure that cover will confuse some and they'll pick it up instead.
As a matter of fact, in the press release that TVSODVD initially released, it was that exact cover art because I remember it saying "2-disc on the front." I was pretty worried they had either went flipper discs or using some pretty bad compression to shove that many episodes in.

One musical replacement to note. On "Jethro Gets Engaged" they've replaced parts of the original background music with some generic 50's sounding stuff. It first appears when Jethro enters the kitchen and then again when he's driving into Mammoth Studios. There was a 3rd instance but I don't remember which scene. It's not too distracting. I'm certainly glad they were able to clear all of the music for the Flatt and Scruggs episode and hope that's a trend that will continue when/if they go onto other seasons. You have more F&S, Roy Clark, Pat Boone and a cameo with Sammy Davis, Jr. singing in S8.

And, finally, a typo alert. On the inside cover listing for "Military School" they didn't proof read. To quote: "However, Jethro doesn't realize it is a school for YOTUNG boys." (emphasis mine)

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I love the Beverly Hillbillies but not enough to use my TBS recordings to restore the replaced music...been there, done that.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Ron1973 said:
And, finally, a typo alert. On the inside cover listing for "Military School" they didn't proof read. To quote: "However, Jethro doesn't realize it is a school for YOTUNG boys." (emphasis mine)
Perhaps Jethro himself worked on the packaging.

JMFabianoRPL

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James Fabiano
Ron1973 said:
I don't honestly think they have any pride for it sometimes.
Speaking of which did anyone else notice that Constantly Butchering has upgraded its warning with "Music MAY have been replaced..."? Yeah make us play the guessing game, that's much better...

I have the hopes a previous post expressed about later seasons, but as we've seen, no band or song is sacred to Constantly Butchering Shows.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
JMFabianoRPL said:
Speaking of which did anyone else notice that Constantly Butchering has upgraded its warning with "Music MAY have been replaced..."? Yeah make us play the guessing game, that's much better...

I have the hopes a previous post expressed about later seasons, but as we've seen, no band or song is sacred to Constantly Butchering Shows.
I think somewhere around the Fugitive blow up, CBS started including that qualification on all releases. It doesn't sound like much has been changed on season 4.

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
One more episode I found with music replacements is "Jethro Goes to College." Same generic stuff as in the other episode and it's only in two scenes. This one I have, though, unedited on a DVD already made from the Columbia House VHS releases from the late 80's. I just find it weird they could clear all of the Flatt and Scrugg songs as well as the song by Joi Lansing but they can't clear some incidental background music. Oh well, better than nothing!

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Ron1973 said:
One more episode I found with music replacements is "Jethro Goes to College." Same generic stuff as in the other episode and it's only in two scenes. This one I have, though, unedited on a DVD already made from the Columbia House VHS releases from the late 80's. I just find it weird they could clear all of the Flatt and Scrugg songs as well as the song by Joi Lansing but they can't clear some incidental background music. Oh well, better than nothing!
What's replaced?

JMFabianoRPL

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James Fabiano
JoeDoakes said:
I think somewhere around the Fugitive blow up, CBS started including that qualification on all releases. It doesn't sound like much has been changed on season 4.
With the "may" in it? Cause they have pretty much had a music change warning ever since they acquired the Paramount shows.

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
They definitely went low budget on this. Yes, the shows themselves are great in both color and audio. They ripped off another release for artwork, no on-screen displays of original air date and no Kelloggs/Winston intros or cast commercials. You would think after waiting 4 1/2 years for this to unstall they would have went full throttle to impress.

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
Ron1973 said:
They definitely went low budget on this. Yes, the shows themselves are great in both color and audio. They ripped off another release for artwork, no on-screen displays of original air date and no Kelloggs/Winston intros or cast commercials. You would think after waiting 4 1/2 years for this to unstall they would have went full throttle to impress.
Well, they are only charging $19.99 for the full season, so I'm not gonna carp, especially since the episodes themselves look so nice. I'll take this over no release any day.

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mr. Handley said:
Well, they are only charging $19.99 for the full season, so I'm not gonna carp, especially since the episodes themselves look so nice. I'll take this over no release any day.
I really wasn't meaning to carp! You're right, though, for the price it's certainly worth every penny.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Ron1973 said:
My guess is that the most expensive part (remastering for HD) was justified for future syndication, but if it was stalled for all that time because the previous sales weren't what they expected or needed it to be, then the bare bones approach was probably the least risky venture. Keep costs down and sell it cheaper. In the end, it may also work out best for future release since they are more likely to do better with this approach in sales than putting more into it and charging more, which didn't seem to work on previous seasons. Obviously, hardcore fans would like the extra's and the future releases.

I think the fact they are practically dumping the first two seasons of PJ for a combined $20, and I saw previous seasons of BH cheap at Walmart is probably an indicator sales weren't what they originally expected.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks