What's new

Cats - FPTV Screens and Speaker Covers (1 Viewer)

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i have three cats and thank gawd they don't go near any of my stereo gear. not my speakers, not my 65" rptv, not my dvd/cd racks, they don't chew on the cables laying all over the place ... nuttin!

actually, one of the kittens does like to climb on my sub, but that doesn't bother me since there's no cloth material on it. then sometimes i'll turn on something that has a lot of bass and watch her freak out. ;)

----

as far as training goes, i think getting a scratching post is a good idea. when i catch my cats clawing at the furniture, i grab them, spank them, say "no!" -- then walk them over to the cat post and put their claws (extended) on the post and do a scratching motion. that works pretty well...they're definitely tearing up the post now. but i still catch them pulling on the furniture every once in a while.

i don't think i'd use a water pistol on my speakers. i like the idea of compressed air though. i'm sure the sound alone will be enough to scare the cat. or you can put pennies inside of a soda can and shake that when they do something you don't like. also, i think they make these proximity/motion sensors...not sure how well it would work for your purpose..but check into it.

----

cats are wonderful. they really give you a sense of satisfaction. but, if you get a pita cat...lord help ya.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell

It probably took about one bottle feeding before you realized she would never leave your family. A strong bond is developed when you bottle feed a kitten.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I just got a cat and am learning as I go. She took to the scratching post real well, but I have the double-sided carpet tape on the sofa just to be on the safe side. She did start doing a little clawing on the armrest once but loud claps are enough to send the message to stop. So far she's shown no interest in my SV sub or my other speakers. Sometimes she'll hang out with me when I watch a movie, but not for the duration.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
We have trained our three cats really well. At first they were reluctant to jump on top of the kitchen counters and the top of the cabinets.

But with patience and strict attention to always being consistent, they are now able to roam freely. ;)

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Thanks Johnny. :)

Brian, that has got to be one of the cutest pics I've seen. :D

Here's one more...

That's Pixel and Rio (both female) havin' some fun. You can just glimpse Sisko's baleful eye in the background as he observes.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I named her after one of my favorite musicians, Aimee Mann. So her name is Aimee Catt. Get, it Mann...Catt... :D

David Brown Eyes

Second Unit
One way to keep cats from scratching inapropriate items is to provide many appropriate items for them to scratch.

I have 4 cats and they have never touched any of my electronics.

In terms of scratching posts try different varieties horizontal vertical, sisal, carpet both top and bottom, cardboard. Find out what the cat likes to scratch and how it likes to scratch on it.

If you provide what the cat really likes it will ignore just about anything else.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Yeah, I need to pick up a board or two. Sometimes she likes to go at the armrest on the sofa.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks